PDA

View Full Version : Islamaphobia

shaolin
17th Sep 2003, 17:16
Hi,

I'm a UK citizen with parents from Pakistan. Muslim by religion.

Currently, I'm considering a change from my the legal field to pilot at age 31.

This would entail flight training in USA/Spain, as that's cheaper than UK.

Then searching for a job after a year or so in USA or UK primarily.

My worries are that with all of the panic being created by Islamic terrorists and some of them having actually been UK born pakistanis, is that this will definately have a negative effect on career opportunities in countries which are becoming worried about potential terrorists etc.

I imagine persons of my description wanting flight training in florida will come up against a lot of questions/interviews first.

I could easily imagine USA flight customers being unnerved when they hear that their captain calling himself Captain Usama (to be extreme).

This would have an effect on the people airlines choose to employ or discriminate against.

Realistically, with zero political correctness; could you please provide an insight into what obstacles I can expect in the airline industry and in particular the USA.

Thanks.

YYZ
17th Sep 2003, 18:47
Well, with zero political correctness... I think it will be more difficult for you now, not politically correct but I would say it’s a certainty.

Even for Mr John Smith with his 2.5 kids and full work history personal reference etc (as no doubt you have) he will still be required to have much tougher checks carried out.

It is unfortunately but that seems to be the way it is now.

I was recently in Newark following someone of Asian decent with a British passport and they got stopped every 50 yards and questioned and prior to boarding the plane they were searched for the second time?? Paranoia I know but people are scared.

As for in the job market when you finally qualify, I don’t know? Depends on the state of the world at the time, the company, the person interviewing you... the list goes on. Obviously though that could be said for any wannabe pilot. It may seem a harsh environment to enter now but do not let that put you off, things will change for the better eventually.. I hope
:(

shaolin
17th Sep 2003, 18:54
I would expect that at door security level.

However, wanted to know what experience management/pilots/training schools have on the phobia.

Also, if there is a marked difference between UK/USA.

Thanks.

spitfire747
17th Sep 2003, 18:57
Do not let the fact you are a UK born Asian put you off from flying... asian terrorists are a minority, same as white terroists

at the end of the day the employer will look at your nice blue book with the CPL-IR first and foremost.. go for it

Spitty
:ok:

Pirate
17th Sep 2003, 19:11
There are many airlines in the Islamic world which out of necessity employ non-muslim expats. I suspect that you would be more than welcome there, to the point of positive discrimination which might balance any reluctance on the part of western companies. As to getting into training, it would be naive not to expect hostility in some quarters, but balance that against the treatment we infidels routinely experience in places like Jeddah.

None of the above is right or fair. It is, however, the world we live in.

strafer
17th Sep 2003, 19:27
There was a UK based Pakistani on my PPL course in Florida. He had no real problems, either with immigration or with some of the reddernecked airfield bars we flew into.

As it happens, he was a nice bloke who was more interested in cricket than religion, but I must admit I was a bit surprised that he'd come to the USA for his training, as were most other people. (It wasn't long after 11/9)

People may well be suspicious of you and you may have to prove yourself to them, but outright hostility is unlikely. The FTO's will only be interested in the colour of your money.

I'm still in contact with him, so send me your e-mail address and I'll pass it on.

Send Clowns
17th Sep 2003, 19:30
You will probably have difficulty with a Visa to train to fly in the USA, though I assume it is worth trying. In the UK there is no such problem - I have just been teaching a Pakistani/UK/American Muslim (religious not secular, and the most tolerant and pleasant student I could hope for) through the groundschool here, who is about to start flying training.

As for a job, the market is not the best, but is definitely picking up. I suspect in the UK you will not be discrimated against by race. The Islamophobia that is reported in the press seems to be on the level of stupid street thugs. I have certainly not heard of any in the industry. Clearly my student was confident enough of the UK to convert his US licences

Best of luck with your dream to fly!

shaolin
18th Sep 2003, 06:18
I don't suppose we get any management level people to give their input?

BritishGuy
18th Sep 2003, 14:30
Ok, I'm a British Asian, Muslim with Pakistani parents too. I have a British Passport (london born and bred) and a US Green Card (don't ask how). I've held my FAA Comm/Multi/Inst since 18 (pre-sept 11th). Everythign back then was cool-totally cool. I'm currently in Daytona Beach, Florida doing my instructors rating and I have a job here after it.

Now, pre-sept 11th when doing my training it was all fine. Now thins time, I've been here 2 wks and well, I don't know whether its paranoia, but you hear the odd remark here and there, and the americans aren't exactly known for the political sensitivity now are they. I found most people perfectly fine, just getting on with business-but as soon as theres a slight and I mean SLIGHT something, like coming back from a flight 10 mins late or having mail sent to you with the name being spelt wrong, they're onto it like a hawk. They really are. The other day I had mail come to me from the bank with my first and middle name printed and not my last name. I was promptly asked by the boss of the flight school 'who is this person'. I explained that the bank have mixed my last and middle name up which I have to notify them about....and then I was told 'we need to watch out for people like you'...yes, from the boss. Now I swallowed it and held it inside me. I didn't feel good at all. Whether it was meant tongue in cheek or not, I don't know, but the again, the yanks aren't known for their political sensitivity. Brother, my advice to you is, go for it if you want, but do the good old JAA/CAA way. It's home and hey, as assy as the CAA/JAA are, at least you know who you're dealing with. You don't need to tip toe, in the slight event you innocently do something out of the norm that will everyone be on your back. And over here from what I hear, any thing, ANY SUSPISSION and they'll take you in-no questions asked. I'm not trying to scare you or anything really. The average civilian here is actually really nice and accepting and have broad minds. But you're going to get a few who well, seem normal on the face of it, but just watch your back. Anyway, do what you need to do where you need to do it and keep FOCUSED on the goal!!! And that is to fly in EUROPE in SANITY. I hope I offended no party involved and wish everyone the best of luck wishing to pursue this career.

B2N2
18th Sep 2003, 20:57
Shaolin,

I don't think training in the USA is going to be a problem .
Getting a job is.:mad:
Due to their "political correctness"
they discriminate against ANY foreign national. You need special permission from the Department of Homeland Security to do a type rating which you'll need to fly anything over 12500lbs.
No airline or regional carrier will hire without a greencard and most of the time they want a US passport.
All you can do is hope to work as a flightinstructor at the school where you did your training for the remainder of your J1 visa.
As far as your religion goes... no worries..as long as you do not pray on the ramp 6 times a day before every flight you'll be allright :ok:
That's not meant to be funny just realistic.:ouch: