PDA

View Full Version : Noise-Cancellation Headsets?

Swombat
20th Nov 2000, 02:38
Anybody know of any tests made on noise-cancellation headset for airline use? Own experience? Rumours? I want to buy the best money can buy!

[This message has been edited by Swombat (edited 19 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Swombat (edited 19 November 2000).]

Keg
20th Nov 2000, 02:54
I know that the Qantas 744 drivers have noise cancelling headsets but the headsets come with aircraft attached so sourcing them ourselves isn't an issue.

Drop a line to QF via their website at www.qantas.com.au (http://www.qantas.com.au) and you should be able to get some info.

------------------
Nuns est bibendum

jonboy38
20th Nov 2000, 03:12
My company supplied them to our flightdecks a couple of years ago. Used them a couple of times but found that getting a decent volume balance between intercom and R/T was tricky. It was easier to use 'normal' headsets with 'one ear off'. No problem now though, if you want to use them you have to provide your own batteries! The tightwads in the finance department believe that they have avoided any legal actions resulting from high tone deafness by the supply of ANR headsets and it's up to the users to provide their own batteries!

Pelican
20th Nov 2000, 03:13
Do they cancel out any noise made by whinging wives as well ? In which case I would be very interested.

[This message has been edited by Pelican (edited 19 November 2000).]

Maint99
20th Nov 2000, 14:11
I was at a miantenance symposium a few years back and one of the vendors (David Clark I think) was demonstrating a noise cancelling headset. Was in a room full of people, donned the set, and turned it on...heard nothing but the ATIS. It was kinda spooky, but I imagine you could get used to it. :)

I don't know if it ever took off or not. Don't hear of anyone using it. You might want to check out your nearest DC distributor, though.
---------------------------------------------

"You want it on the gate for WHEN??"

Feather #3
20th Nov 2000, 16:15
Swombat,

QF settled on a Sennheiser unit for the B744. Nearest I can find is the HMEC 25 ANC headset in the A/c Spruce Catalogue for US$675.

It was chosen after an OH&S [occupational health & safety] review of flightdeck noise. The technique is to use 'one ear off' below A100 and intercom above. Works great for me, but some don't like it. Greatest drawback is that folk can enter the flightdeck behind you and you have no idea they're there.

They sell spare earpads and pad covers. The covers are a must as the pads are a plastic and you'll tend to sweat. If regularly replaced, it's no problem. QF provide spare pads, covers and batteries for those a/c not re-wired.

Summary; I'd sooner have them than not.

Hope that helps.

G'day

BL
20th Nov 2000, 16:30
I've bought my own Sennheiser HMEC45-KA for use on B757/767s and am very happy with it. £252 + £19 for delivery from Germany, incl tax.

The HMEC45 has open ear pieces and only kills 10db of noise (half of it) rather than the 15db than the ear-muff type noise canx headsets provide. This suits me fine because I can still hear the cockpit door open and the other guy doesn't need to use the intercom. I switch it off for tkof and ldg (and generally below 10000')

Find myself wondering why I didn't get one years ago.

Mega
20th Nov 2000, 16:47
Bose is best!

/M

rick1128
25th Nov 2000, 20:14
Yes Bose may be best, but how many of us can afford them. I have been using Telex airman series for over 5 years and have been very happy with them. One problem I saw with the Bose is the special battery they use. At least Telex uses standard batteries.

I have found that Telex's support is as good as David Clark's.

Richard

Mebro
26th Nov 2000, 01:04
I have to agree with the last two posts about the Bose....

Swombat the current model circulating is called " Bose x" which comes with noise cancellation, wireless ops, and wait .....much more features like digital stereo sound yep that's true .....U will have to literally call the US to get any details as Bose in OZ won't have any idea what ur talkin about.

Sorry I know I have the # somewhere but can't seem to find it ...However ring directory assistance and u should have a # ..that is if u wanna Bose Headset..

Good Luck and happy flyin...

Mebro

what_the_hell_was_that?
26th Nov 2000, 01:50
I tried a pair of the Sennheiser ones a while back on the 757 but I could definately hear some sort of high pitch noise the closer I sat to the window (possibly from the window heat system). Anybody else comment on this?
Otherwise they were the dog's bo**ocks.

PPRuNe Towers
26th Nov 2000, 05:41
Fine thread but off to Tech Log.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

Hoodwink
26th Nov 2000, 13:49
Hello

Does anyone have an aroundabout price for the Bose headset, and maybe a distributor in the UK.

Regards
Hoodwink

Flying Lawyer
26th Nov 2000, 20:00
I noticed HeliAir at Denham had a special offer on Bose headsets last time I was there - a couple of months ago.
I don't know if the offer is still on, but you could call them on 01895 835899.

Has anyone tried the Pilot 17-79 model?
Any views?

Londoner
27th Nov 2000, 01:11
Bose X is about $995 here in the US as I recall. Apparently it is the best out there (whatever that means).
I personally own the Pilot PA 17-79s. Now I only fly GA aircraft, so I have no idea what they'd be like in the cockpit of a jet. However, they are very light and comfortable. The perspiration factor was a problem for me with the seals. The solution was to buy cloth covers for them, and they are now a lot more comfortable for me. They are powered by an internal Ni-Cad battery. A panel powered version is available too as I recall. There's a debate about the internal Ni-Cad vs. external replaceable batteries. So far, I've had no problems, but if you forget to recharge the headset obviously you can't pop in a new pair of batteries.
Build quality is good and they look nice. You can adjust pretty much anything you'd like in terms of mic, headband, etc.
I was also considering the LightSpeed 25XL - similar price. The LightSpeeds are HUGE by comparison, but may provide marginally better sound absorption. All of this will be subjective and will depend on the aircraft that you regularly fly in. My GA trainer is bound to be noisier than a 757 cockpit :)
The best thing you could do, would be to go to an exhibition like the recent AOPA one here in California. There you can compare a number of the headsets.
Any other questions, drop me an email: [email protected]

sprucegoose
27th Nov 2000, 08:44
Telex are advertising the Telex ANR 500.
Designed for use in aircraft with low to moderate cockpit noise levels. Ideal for jets and quieter commuter and general aviation aircraft. ( Especially effective in cancelling out the most irritating and harmful low frequency noise in the 30 - 1000 Hz range). Includes carrying case, soft foam earpads and a cushioned headpad. Battery module weighs 2.8oz with 9 volt alkaline and provides approximately 50 hours of continuous operation. Headset weighs 7oz.

- Sportys Pilot Shop. $467.10 USD