PDA

View Full Version : Robin DR400 Wing Spar Directive

Monocock
17th Sep 2003, 03:10
Can someone help please?

I am trying to find out the details on the wing spar check that is required on certain DR400's and I can't seem to find out the exact details.

I know the full story behind why the AD came about but I really would like some pointers as to where I can find out the serial numbers of all a/c concerned and the required inspection dates etc.

Any help will be received gratefully

M:ok:

Flap40
17th Sep 2003, 05:22
This from www.jodel.com :-

The web site of Robin Aviation ran the following piece which is of interest to all DR400 owners:

DR 400 spar inspection

In June 1997, a DR 400 built in 1990 crashed near Paris. The French Bureau of Aeronautical Investigations (BEA) noticed a level of quality of bonding xhich he thought might be inappropriate on part of the spar-web.

A test-spar was then built matching that off fallen aircraft. A static test was performed under the scrutiny of court experts and F-DGAC officers. The test spar proved twice as strong as required by applicable regulations for spar limit loads. On the basis of this test, a court decision has ruled out the manufacturer’s liability in the crash.

Despite this good results, F-DGAC has required several sample inspections on the 1974 to 1998 DR 400 fleet to determine whether the risk of a spar failure could reasonably be waived. The result of these inspections (130 aircraft out of 1300) has been quoted by DGAC as neither alarming nor totally satisfactory.

Hence, F-DGAC is in process of editing a CN (the French form for an AD), based on the now prevailing precaution principle, requiring that all the DR 400 built between 1974 and 1998 be inspected by next 1000h / 3 years or 2000h / 6 years maintenance check. This inspection may be performed by the usual maintenance shop if properly approved to do so by the qualified Airworthiness Authorities. The manufacturer’s JAR 145 maintenance shop will propose a specific training program. The inspection may also be performed by the said maintenance shop if so wished by the aircraft owner. We are aware that this inspection means unexpected costs in already difficult times. We have done our best efforts to stop this decision and make it as low cost as possible when imposed. We shall continue to work towards these goals with all the parties to the case.

Release from Apex Aircraft, manufacturer of Robin aircraft. November 26, 2001. Copyright reserved. Authorised copy if 100% conforming to the original

edit to add that the AD # is 2001-570. I guess that you need to speak to the CAA or the dealers to get a copy.

Aerobatic Flyer
17th Sep 2003, 15:52
I really would like some pointers as to where I can find out the serial numbers of all a/c concerned
Try here. (http://www.slv.dk/Publikationer/Love/AIC_C_checklist/AIC%20C/LDD_LISTE_27_DEC_2001/LDD%202001-419-044.pdf)

The first page is in Danish, then you have the original AD from the DGAC with serial numbers.

I'm a big Robin fan, but did feel a bit relieved that the DR400 I often fly is not on the list!

Hairyplane
19th Sep 2003, 19:03
ten million flying hours and not one fatal accident attributable to airframe failure - Official.

Thats how good the DR400 is.

OK, I'm biased simply because I love them and have a 2001 Regent.

They knock your average spammer into a cocked hat. They do it on more than just performance - they are a delightful flying machine too.

Hurrah for the DR400, especialy as mine has missed the AD!

I cant help feeling though that the AD is completely unecessary though.

They simply havent found one that doesn't exceed its design limits by a significant margin despite some 'scruffy' glue joints.

Go and fly one if you haven't already!

HP

Aerobatic Flyer
19th Sep 2003, 20:31
There's a lot of discussion on the FNA website (Fédération Nationale Aéronautique) about this AD at the moment.

General conclusion seems to be that if the spar did have poor quality gluing, the work recommended by the AD isn't going to make it much better. And if it didn't have anything wrong before, it will be weakened by the "repair" work.

It's a bit of a "got to be seen to be doing something" sort of AD.