PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Documentary

spekesoftly
16th Sep 2003, 17:39
See details here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102598)

Unwell_Raptor
16th Sep 2003, 19:25
Talking of Concorde, what is going to happen to the Speedbird One callsign?

It would be a bit of an anticlimax to give it to a Jumbo or triple 7.

Mashie Niblick
16th Sep 2003, 19:30
What on earth does Mr Branson know about it..other than being a pax on it a few times??
About as qualified as me!

LGW Vulture
16th Sep 2003, 19:44
Wednesday 17/9/03 CH5 (UK) 20.00 - 21.00 (BST) - 'Supersonic: The Concorde Story'

"Presenter Mashie Niblick examines the aircraft's bittersweet history. Who is Mashie Niblick we hear you ask? We here at Channel 5 don't know, but he knows more about Concorde than Mr Branson does."

............Doesn't quite have the ring to it, does it Mashie?

Stay put(t) at the 19th is my advice! :rolleyes:

PPRuNe Pop
17th Sep 2003, 01:12
It was an exceedingly good golf club in them there days! :ok:

colossus
17th Sep 2003, 04:26
Agree that Richard Branson might not be perhaps the most qualified individual to present on the topic, however he’s got to be the shrewdest cookie for ceasing the opportunity to promote Virgin as the “national carrier”, and for keeping the supersonic dream alive.

Bright-Ling
17th Sep 2003, 06:00
What on earth does Mr Branson know about it..other than being a pax on it a few times??

Alright - so you have:

(a) An interest in actually keeping the Queen of the skies airborne? (and the funds to do so)

(b) Your own airline

Thought not. Jealousy is a distubning trait........

B-L!!!

trytofly
17th Sep 2003, 06:20
M.N. I agree

B.L. I ain't jealous of anyone...that would be sad.

keep on trying

BEagle
18th Sep 2003, 03:39
Well, I'm watching it as I type and I think that Sir Richard did an excellent job presenting the documentary.

I come from the same era and share his passion for the aeroplane; if Sir Richard can keep this Anglo-French icon flying, then all the very best of luck to him!

And notice how the enthusiastic attitude of Jock Lowe compares with the dull, grey-suited 'management' drones of today!

Just wish I'd ever had the chance to fly in her......

PPRuNe Pop
18th Sep 2003, 04:03
Hear hear! Sir Richard was very good indeed. The programme was of a very high quality in my view.

Certainly going to miss that aeroplane. A thing of exceptional beauty and excellence. :{

AIRWAY
18th Sep 2003, 04:15
indeed, i am of the same opinion that Sir Richard B did a good job :ok: presenting the programme.

Surely the concorde will be missed by all :{ but all good things must come to an end: :sad:

silverknapper
18th Sep 2003, 04:27
He did well, an ulterior motive perhaps?
Hope he gets them!

Spitoon
18th Sep 2003, 04:41
What does Branson know about Concorde? Who knows? He was presenting a TV programme - do we ask what other presenters know about the subject they're presenting? (OK, so it's pretty obvious sometimes).

As a presenter he seemed to make a pretty good job of it.

slingsby
18th Sep 2003, 16:57
Not a bad presentation, but not really much on the technical aspect of Concorde as I had expected. Mr Branson got his wish across to the public fairly well at the end.

Does anyone remember the Noel Edmunds BBC documentary on Concorde, a proper and realistic view into the operation of such a fine aircraft. Flight deck cameras and all.

MJR
18th Sep 2003, 17:42
I enjoyed this program too, it would give my great pleasure to see the taxpayers achievement continue to fly albeit the elitetist taxpayer in Mr Bransons hands.

Max Angle
19th Sep 2003, 19:15
And notice how the enthusiastic attitude of Jock Lowe compares with the dull, grey-suited 'management' drones of today! And I think the same could be said for Branson, his motives may not have been totally pure but what a difference from your average airline exec.