PDA

View Full Version : Woo-Hoo!!!

Dop
16th Sep 2003, 04:36
Well, after two attempts to do my QXC were thwarted by low cloud and poor visibility, I'd hoped that today would be the day, so I was dead chuffed when I checked out the TAFs today and saw it was CAVOK all round my course.

I'd already plotted the course earlier, so all I had to do was work out the wind drift and groundspeeds, then calculate fuel usage, and do the weight and balance stuff, before I was ready to go.
Manston did try to put me off by saying that part of their runway was closed, but when I got there, I asked for confirmation and was told that it was all open now, so that was nothing to worry about. (And it's not like closing a third of Manston's runway would have been that much of a problem ANYWAY!)

So everything went OK over to Manston, I'd called Rochester after turning at Sevenoaks, just in case I passed through their zone, but I went past to the south and actually managed to see Rochester from a distance (I'm crap at spotting airfields!).
Got to Whitstable and switched over to Manston, and came in nice and smooth. Why do I make my best landings when there isn't an instructor in the plane?

Pay up, get my form signed (rated Good), and after a quick break for a coke it's off to Shoreham.

Main problem with that route is there's nothing particularly brilliant once you pass Ashford for a course check. After Ashford said goodbye to Manston and listened in to London Information. I wound up in about the right place as I found out when I got nearer the south coast, and went to Brighton Marina before calling Shoreham.

What a lovely day to fly along the coast. Beautiful day!

Shoreham threw a little twist at me by telling me to descend to 1600 feet on the deadside, instead of the 1100 feet I'd been expecting. Turned downwind, and got permission to go down to 1100 feet, before turning base and starting my descent.

Three stages of flap as it's shorter than I'm used to, and down to land right on the centre line. Another good landing! Taxi up and park, then go in to pay up and get the other bit on my form signed, also rated good.

I was gagging for some tea, so I went in the cafe and bought a pot of tea, and drank it sitting outside in the shade.
"This is the life!" I thought.

Then it was back up to Biggin, via Bewl Water, where I was slightly thrown off by a jet taking off from 03 instead of 21, but had a nice quiet join from the deadside and into the circuit for another nice landing...

So that was great! Today I've done more flying in one day than I have done some months! Although I'm now skint until next month!!!

So with the QXC done, all I need to do now is get stuck in on those exams, then I'll soon be ready for the skills test!!!

Pilot16
16th Sep 2003, 05:14
Welldone!! :O I know the feeling coz i remember mine not so long ago!! You actually for the first time feel like a real pilot!! If you get what i mean! I done Norwich and Southend from Stapleford :cool:

Well all the best with your remaining ground exams...

I myself passed the skill test just yesterday.

Aussie Andy
16th Sep 2003, 06:23
Seems like this is a great season: not just for the weather, but also for the excellent fresh crop of new pilots that it has "grown"!

Well done both :O

Andy

Flash0710
16th Sep 2003, 20:30
For christs sake.

3 years ago when i was at biggin qxc's were failing at Shoreham as the school who taught them (The blue lot) failed to teach oh joins

Still this is the case :mad: wits

Hey ho now skill test to get out of way and you can find a cheaper ac to hire.

Well done by the way it's a great flight:ok:

F:E

Pink_aviator
16th Sep 2003, 21:15
Glad you enjoyed your XCS ,and congratulations TO one student in the far south FROM one student in the far north.

PINK-AVIATOR

Bear 555
16th Sep 2003, 22:55
Congrats, Dop.

I remember the great feeling of undertaking the QXC. Kinloss-Wick-Inverness-Kinloss is a long way from the deep south east but I'm sure the feeling is just as good.

I am just setting about revalidation after a 3 year break, so feeling slighty nervous!

Good luck for the rest of your training.

Bear 555