PDA

View Full Version : 20 hrs to SOLO

BrunoF
15th Sep 2003, 09:41
Hi,

I have a simple quesiton.

Do you need at least 20 hours to fly your first solo {FAA Requirement} or if you are very skilled your CFI may let you go with, let's say, 14 hours on your logbook ?

Thanks,
Bruno Francescoli

flyer4life
15th Sep 2003, 10:21
Hi Bruno,

I'm not sure what FAA Requirement you're referring to.

You can go solo whenever your instructor believes you are ready, ie. you can fly the pattern safely and cope with any problems such as an engine failure.

Once your instructor has completed the solo endorsement section on the back of your medical, you're legal to go solo.

BrunoF
15th Sep 2003, 10:24
Hey flyer4life,

Thanks for the quick answer.

<Once your instructor has completed the solo endorsement section on the back of your medical, you're legal to go solo.>

Even if you have 11 hours? In other words, you don't have to have 20 hours to be able to fly SOLO, Am I correct?...

Thanks!
Bruno F.

BJBATMAN
15th Sep 2003, 12:49
There is no FAA Reg on the amount of hours, only on the subjects to be covered. Maybe the school has a minimum wrote into their insurance policy.

mad_jock
15th Sep 2003, 15:59
I did my JAR ppl in the US and as such even though we were training for JAR we still had to stick to FAA rules.

And they sent me solo in 7 hours if that answers your question.

MJ

My names Turkish
15th Sep 2003, 20:01
I stand to be corrected, but I think what you are talking about is the hours breakdown before you take the checkride? Maybe you have to have 20hrs Solo time?

flyer4life
16th Sep 2003, 00:23
Yes Bruno, there is no FAA requirement for minimum hours before going solo.

You might be confused with the FAR Part 61.109 experience requirements before taking the private checkride: 40 hours total to include at least 20 dual and 10 solo.

BrunoF
16th Sep 2003, 06:59
All,

Thanks a lot for the explanations, I go it. I don't know what confused me but I though you need to have at least 20 hours loged into your logbook to fly SOLO.

Do you guys know any good FBO down here: South Florida?

Thanks!
Bruno Francescoli

Charlie Zulu
16th Sep 2003, 09:26
Hi Bruno,

Yup - Naples Air Center based at, well funnily enough Naples Airport (KAPF).

Did my FAA CPL/IR with them in July this year - both first time passes and they are in my humble opinion an excellent school.

Family run business and most definately geared towards students needs.

** Disclaimer: I do NOT have any connection with them other than the training I did! **

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu,