PDA

View Full Version : chopper or fixed wing?

sinsall
14th Sep 2003, 07:38
I have wanted to be a pilot for years but never had enough time or money.

Im 33 now and if I dont do it now I never will so have decided to give up work and throw myself in at the deep end at the end of the month.

The most important thing for me is to find work, if and when I get my CPL.
Im swinging towards helicopters as there seems to be far more work out there worldwide,so im told?
The only problem being it does not include IR qualification,so unless I work on the rigs it seems I would have to pay another £30k!!

I would love to be a commercial airline pilot but it looks very hard to find employment?

I have also been told told that self-study is the best way to go as you can go at your own pace?
which one is harder to fly?

DownwindToRoll
14th Sep 2003, 07:51
Check out the Rotorheads forum, similar questions have been asked in there before now.

When I asked the same question as you here was the response

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100921

Basically most of the helicopter pilots enjoy the work more than their airline pilot cousins but earn far less and have even worse propects it would seem...:ugh:

DTR

Watchoutbelow
14th Sep 2003, 13:04
This was just was just done recently here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=101571)

Who ever told you prospects are better is talking out there arse,
and chances of getting a North Sea job these days is to say the least,very slim, even with over a thousand hours and an Instrument rating.
Because things have been bad for quite a while now there is a backlog of well qualifieds waiting for an opening also.

Any way my views are there!

sinsall
15th Sep 2003, 03:30
the outlook as far as I can read is rather poor in the uk. I was told at a training centre that there was a worldwide shortage of heli pilots?
I dont think its as easy as 'have no regrets' as im putting house and career on the line for this
i have also been told its far cheaper to to attain your cpl in South Africa and the USA?