PDA

View Full Version : High intensity ground based white flashes, Europe

Agaricus bisporus
13th Sep 2003, 11:43
Frequently see brilliant white flashes from the ground when flying over Europe at all hours of the night, particularly France, Germany, Benelux & to a lesser extent Italy. These are as bright as a lighthouse and seem to be projected upwards at random. They are not fireworks or electric trains, and I doubt they are industrial.

What are they? They must be highly visible, probably highly intrusive from ground level yet I have never seen one except when airborne.

Any ideas?

LEM
13th Sep 2003, 16:03
D i s c o t h e q u e s . :ok:

Agaricus bisporus
13th Sep 2003, 19:46
Mmm! It would be a pretty boring disco with only one white light wouldn't it? And when was the last time you saw a disco

o u t d o o r s ?

star gold
13th Sep 2003, 19:53
I think i have seen what you are talking about from ground level in Belgium. They are just a huge (tall) light pole with the strobe on top. I don't know what they are for either.

LEM
14th Sep 2003, 06:03
Sort of advertising, those beacons on the roof. Supposed to attract youngsters $$$$$

18-Wheeler
14th Sep 2003, 06:29
Although you said it isn't electric trains, I'd still vote for that.
The first time I flew over Europe I too saw bright flashes on the ground and wondered what they were, and I am pretty sure they are the large gadgets on the top of the train that rub on the wires to pick up the power, as they jump over from one powered section to the other.
They'd look extra bright at night because of the contrast.

Volume
15th Sep 2003, 18:32
It might be flashing beacons on military / border patrol airfields.
At EDKB (Bonn) there is a civil and a border patrol tower, the latter controls the helicopters of the German Boarder patrol (Bundesgrenzschutz), who also do transport flights for the german gouvernment. Up to around 1997 they had a rotating light on the tower acting as a beacon, which worked like a lighthouse. It was blue-white-white, and on foggy days you could see the three lightbeams wandering across the sky.
About 1997 it was replaced by a very bright non directed flashing beacon, which caused irritation to the neighbours in nights with low clouds, reflecting the flashes. You could easily see it in your bedroom, 3 miles away ! It was only active during flight operation, which is quite rare at night, but happens frequently.
Donīt know if it is stil active, and if there are more of them, but might be.

Joe Phoenix
15th Sep 2003, 18:43
At night in the south east of england, trains running cross country frequently create flashes that light up a huge area with a bright white flash, it can be quite spectacular at ground level (out in the country), could this be what is being seen?

PAXboy
15th Sep 2003, 23:32
I am pretty sure they are the large gadgets on the top of the train that rub on the wires to pick up the power A Pantograph is used to collect power from overhead wires and a shoe for third rail, such as in the South of England.

As has been said, the flash from these is extremely bright but is also sporadic. If it is regular, then that would lean towards a different answer.

seacue
16th Sep 2003, 13:50
Not in Europe, but in the USA many of our tall TV/radio towers have strobe lighting. At least some revert to red beacons at night [to please the neighbors?]. Thus the thought the your source might be towers.

LEM
16th Sep 2003, 15:09
Forgive me for coming back with such an example, but I don't know how to describe otherwise what I had in mind.
The lights on the roofs of discos are like the type in this homepage http://www.gardaland.it/it/home.html

When they aim at airplanes on a clear night they can appear as bright flashes.

If it's not what you had in mind, then I give up! :D

fatboy slim
16th Sep 2003, 16:11
Both Hamburg (EDDH) and Hannover (EDDV) in N. Germany have powerful omni direction single white strobes on their control towers. Always on when I go there at night.

Bre901
16th Sep 2003, 19:19
PAXboy
As has been said, the flash from these is extremely bright but is also sporadic.

Apparently you have not seen a real high speed train (you should thank Mrs T. for that :} ). Hopefuly, starting today, you will be able to see one without having to leave UK.
I once happened to drive at night on a french motorway (higway for our friends accross the pond) which runs for miles along the Paris-Lyon TGV line (train a grande vitesse = high speed train). As the trains were going past us (them at 270 kph = 168 mph, us at roughly half that speed - ie, the official speed limit :O ) huge, almost continuous showers of sparks could been seen. Quite surprising the first time you see it, especially as the train itself is not visible because of a separation fence.