PDA

View Full Version : EMA Rumours??????

EMACargo
12th Sep 2003, 19:41
Is there any new rumors coming from EMA. I read somewhere from Graham Keddie that he is in discussions with numerous new airlines from around Europe.

Also what happened to the plans for the Radisson Hotel that was ment to be being built early this year.

Regards

Stu:confused:

Navy_Adversary
13th Sep 2003, 01:22
Must have been Alistair Campbell who released the Raddison story:D

plantzzman
13th Sep 2003, 04:04
New airlines into EMA oh dear this dosnt sound good.The locals dont like lots of aircraft landing at EMA.I think they seem to forget what benefits it brings the local community in many ways.
I best contact my local paper to tell them to double the size of the opinions section for readers to write to.Only the other day the finger was pointed at DHL over noise.DHL seemed to defend themselves ok though.
As regards more hotels why would they be needed.Many flights are holiday charters and most other flights are budget.BMI Baby claim people dont fly in from Europe because they dont know where the airport is but then thats all part of their lame attempt to change the airports name.

almost professional
13th Sep 2003, 17:34
plantzzman
only a very vocal minority of locals complain-check out the same old names in the paper!
noise complaints are on a downward trend-hardly suprising when B727's are becoming a rareity overnight now, most complain about the training during the day-five hours plus of Ryanair yesterday-marvelous!
rumours abound about new carriers-germans have been mentioned, as well as the extra Easyjet based A/C, and more I/T growth, could be another good year for growth(and my bonus):D

GEAR UP
13th Sep 2003, 19:47
these noise complainers remind me of the story of the yank who landed in shannon ...enroute to limerick he spotted bunratty castlle at the side of the road.,,I wonder why they built that castlle so near the motorway he thought to himself..

plantzzman
15th Sep 2003, 03:59
To be honnest I had noted very little in the local paper about EMA noise wise etc.Until that is the letter about DHL recently.
While I dont support local people moaning about an airport that has been there for years as regards noise one thing which would bug me are airlines such as Ryan Air using the airport for flight training when they dont operate from the airport.Its like washing your dirty car on someone elses driveway-you shouldnt do it.
Its clear local people dont like the noise but most put up with it.Therefore its abit insulting to expect them to put up with extra noise from Ryanair which brings no local gains through employment etc.
First few times I saw Ryanair at EMA I thought they had forgotten how to stop!!!!

Little Blue
15th Sep 2003, 04:47
well, far from being a fan of Ryanair, I cannot condone their us
of EMA as a training base, cos we (bmi) do the same ex- PIK...
if the price is right (and it obviously is for MOL ),,then can u blame em????
If the cap fits !!!
;)

plantzzman
15th Sep 2003, 07:09
I understand what you mean little blue-I guess any company in any industry will make use of something if its offered at a good price.I just think its narrow minded of the airport to allow regular use of the airport for training by airlines which dont operate out of EMA.I guess therefore EMA should accept any bad press produced by anti airport campaigners.As I have said before I dont support local people who complain about noise levels at EMA.I would however support complaints when the cause of the noise is an aircraft with no links to EMA.Now will someone just tell the Ryanair pilot to practice stopping.

In trim
15th Sep 2003, 12:57
And where should these airlines train?

If I work for an airline based at a 'big' airport with no slots, then when it's time for circuit-bashing there simply is not the capacity. If my 'big' airport has night restrictions then this definitely forces me elsewhere.

Most airlines will use airports such as MSE, PIK, EMA, etc. for training because a) It's cheaper and b) They can't use home base.

I totally agree with the frustration of people living there, but only feel sorry for the few who were living there before the airport was built. :p

EMACargo
15th Sep 2003, 19:36
Thanks for the replys but can anyone shed light on my question ;)

thanks stu

MD11FAN
16th Sep 2003, 16:28
I did see a rumour about Snowflake(new SAS loco) showing interest in the airport. This would be good as the airport's current services don't cover Scandinavia at all. Also, what about Germany(Dus/Fra/Muc)?? I think the Munich service on BMIBaby is about to be scrapped?

Arkroyal
16th Sep 2003, 17:03
The EMA website certainly carried the promise of a SAS Radisson hotel until last year. Perhaps the replacement of the business suit by the shell suit amongst the punters put them off?

Indeed, EMA-MUC does not feature in the winter bmibaby schedule.

The terminal is already bursting at the seams, so what a further increase in traffic might do to it could be interesting to watch.

plantzzman
17th Sep 2003, 05:22
Sorry I hijacked your thread alittle EMACARGO but you didnt seem to be getting much feedback.
INTRIM well not sure where to surgest airlines such as Ryanair should train when they dont actually use EMA.Maybe they should relocate bringing the extra jobs involved to the local airport they choose to train at-not that iam surgesting they should come to EMA.There are enough flights for a tenner operators there already.
Another thought how about training at some of the little used RAF bases.The aircraft would be empty so shorter runways should be fine and it would bring in cash to RAF bases to help fund our wonderful government who keep cutting back the armed forces.Could even help to keep places open-I read recently that Newquay airport was threatened as it is an RAF base the RAF are looking to close due to it being uneconomical.
These are just thoughts.
ARKROYAL as regards EMA bursting at the seams terminal wise have they not just added some kind of tent on the side of the terminal to give a bigger terminal area.They could stick abit more on or maybe use portercabins ha ha ha.

Arkroyal
17th Sep 2003, 15:47
plantzzman

You're 'avin a laugh mate! RAF base open at the weekend:D

Crabs have finished friday twofers, and put their smelly green grow-bags in for an oil change by Saturday morning.

Be very careful about the use of the term Portakabin.

According to FHM, the company have a full time 'trade mark protection officer' or some such, who will pursue you to the courts if the temporary structure to which you refer is not actually one of theirs!!! :confused:

Trouble with the EZY-Tent is that all the pax then have to queue for the woefully inadequate security check.

The airport needs a serious look at before it can accommodate more pax. The only work the managers seem interested in is exchanging any non revenue earning floorspace into a gold-mine for them. Kids play area now travel agent, horrible fair-ground machines all over the place but cr@p service for the punter.

almost professional
17th Sep 2003, 17:00
Ark
as the airport makes little if any money out of the low cost airline with passenger supplement/landing/parking fees etc perhaps you could explain how the airport is supposed to gain revenue to build those extra facilities if they do not maximise the ability to take money from departing pax-OK the kids play area went, but the travel agents moved to allow the new coffee shop(very popular by the way)
yes there have been problems with security checks at peak times, but in the present climate is that suprising?
from a personal perspective its great to walk to work through throngs of pax-makes a change to a few years back!
the training situation is also good for the revenue side-we are carefull now to only allow it at certain times of the day/and also restrict the days it is allowed-most is now monday to friday in daytime-not exactly the time of greatest nuisance-we are providing a service that is needed and helping the airport finances, also its good practice for the troops in ATC-nothing like two jets in the circuit to keep you honest!

dwlpl
17th Sep 2003, 18:25
Everyone,

You have all missed THE important post re the thread title.

It was first posted approx two weeks ago and if the plans go ahead it will bring more pax traffic through EMA.