PDA

View Full Version : Possible aborted takeoff at Cork?

Chumbawumba
12th Sep 2003, 05:33
Anybody know anything about an aborted takeoff by a BMIbaby 737 to Manchester from Cork on Thursday night at 21.45?

Drove past around that time and it looked awfully like one. They were on the 35 threshold and made a run but stopped, left the runway, held short on 07, waited for someone to land and went back out and took off as normal.

Any info?

GEAR UP
13th Sep 2003, 00:21
so what....people like you usually work in the media looking fdor dirt.

davethelimey
13th Sep 2003, 00:28
You must be quite a psychologist to be able to tell what kind of a person he is from two paragraphs. :*

Since when did a request for information become dirt digging and sensation-hunting?

Sad.

strafer
13th Sep 2003, 00:48
The original reply this morning (from Beamer) was deleted for being vitrolic. Is anyone going to answer his question at all?

Avman
13th Sep 2003, 03:38
Starts take-off roll or perhaps only spools up. Gets a warning of some sort. Vacates runway. Problem quickly rectified. Returns to H/P, awaits for an inbound to land and vacate, and departs. Probably happens a couple of dozen times a day around the world. Nothing dramatic! Nothing sensational! I do think that some posters over do it now with these "what happened" postings and I can understand why some may feel compelled to making vitrolic or sarcastic replies.

No comment
13th Sep 2003, 06:32
Yes but to be honest, as much as we're all "professionals" whenever an aircraft comes in with a tech problem (even if its a minor hydraulic prob.) a lot of workers will stop what they're doing and see whats going on etc. I for one will want to know whats going on when the fire service is surrounding an aircraft even though its not newsworthy and am glad when it turns out to be nothing more than a minor leak.

Dont berate the guy for a natural interest in aircraft ops.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited to say that I'm sad my 100th post had to be this one...

Tom the Tenor
13th Sep 2003, 17:08
Dont be sad! No such thing as bad publicity as they say and am delighted that mention of Cork is at the head of this thread.

Support your own - Fly Jetmagic! :ok:

Up Cork for the Hurling Final! :ok:

White Knight
13th Sep 2003, 18:28
Cork - one of my favourite places:ok: :ok:
Great town, and the ATC - "cleared for the approach,contact the tower, GOOD LUCK to 'yer" just as the ILS packs in during a CAT II approach.....

GEAR UP
13th Sep 2003, 19:42
tom ..you wouldn,t be the former mayor now ,would ya.

Pontious
13th Sep 2003, 19:50
Aah!
The Old Oak on Oliver Plunkett St. is the nearest thing on earth to Dr. Who's Tardis. Cork is one of my favourite places in the world,it doesn't get much better!!

Back to thread.....it could have been anything.

:ok:

Tom the Tenor
14th Sep 2003, 01:46
Nope, Gear up, me Tom the Tenor, not Tom the Councillor but I will tell him you were asking after him if you like! I wear the specs! :8

Might have been the airbrake popping up?

By the way, the baby RTO was not the only peculiar event in the aerial environs of Cork last Thursday on 11th September. The Mrs and I were returning from the UK and from the top of the descent at FL340 the spoilers were deployed for a long, long time on the way down. Uncomfortable pax. Asked a driver of the type yesterday his ideas on what happened. Not impressed.

If your flying was as good as your patronising PAs about the successful company you fly for you would be doing okay, Captain.

Faire d'income
15th Sep 2003, 04:43
With no info other than apparently noticing the spoilers were out you diagnose bad flying!

Ever hear of a runway change or an Atc ' expedite descent ' or an unforeseen ' speed 220knots ' or a multitude of other possibilities for wanting to get down quicker.

I suggest you learn might a little before mouthing off.

beamer
17th Sep 2003, 02:30
So I was deleted for being VITROLIC - so now I know !

My point was that I am tired of spotters reporting non-events and
speculating on causal factors based on little or no knowledge.

I thought that PRUNE stood for PROFESSIONAL PILOTS RUMOUR NETWORK - obviously I was wrong - thanks moderator.......

Chumbawumba
26th Sep 2003, 20:38
My sincerest apologies for trying to satisfy my curiosity about an event I found interesting. Jeez, you hardy "professionals" sure know how to make a less informed person than your worldly selves feel welcome to a board.

I have no involvement with the media Gear Up, I live near the airport, and am interested in aviation so simply like to keep abreast of events happening near me. Suffice to say they may involve me if the bloody plane lands on my family home which is close to the flight path. I resent sensational, inaccurate and ignorant reporting (which we get quite a bit from our local broadsheet here the Irish Examiner) but I don't go accusing you of being a muckraker when you post a request for information.

Beamer, I'm neither a spotter nor did I speculate on causal factors.

I may not be a professional but I think some of you should relax a little and cut people a bit of slack sometimes. If you think a post is stupid just ignore it. No need to slag someone off for simply having an interest. I'm quite sure the wiseasses out there were at some stage in their lives as poorly informed on aviation matters as I currently am. Presumably people with a bit more grace and patience than they have helped them improve on that knowledge?

dexter256
2nd Oct 2003, 07:03
The sort of teacher you're looking for has about 15 to 20 thousand hours. Treat everyone else with a modicum of caution.

Cork's airfield is an unlucky one. I believe it has a p'sóg, so to say. It was built against the wishes of the land-owner, perhaps this is the reason. When you start hearing the wailing of the bean s'dhe, don't be afraid to get your feet back on terra maca =).