PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Buy Your Instructor!?

murphy1901
12th Sep 2003, 02:48
Its tradition at the club I fly from to buy your instructor a good bottle of whisky when you finish your PPL.

However, one of the instructors commented to me recently (with a laugh) that he and the other instructors could "swim in the stuff".

So did you buy your instructor a gift on completion of your PPL and if so what!??

(Sounds like I need alternative ideas!) :D

flyingwelshman
12th Sep 2003, 03:33
Hi!

I dont want to start a rant, but.....

Why would you buy your instructor a pressie? You have been paying her/his wages for the last 50ish hours!? Its their job.... just like any other. You dont buy the airline pilot a bottle of whisky each time she/he lands you safely? Nor the traffic warden when they camp your car.

HOWEVER, before anyone calls me a scrooge - I am not against it. IF you have a certain, specific reason to say thnk you (i.e. helping though a difficult patch or whatever) then sure - but a "tradition"?

FW

P.S. Take it you have finshed the PPL then? CONGRATULATIONS!

Keef
12th Sep 2003, 04:15
Depends on the instructor, I'd say.

My "basic training" one was brilliant - went the extra mile every time. He got a prezzie.

My US IR instructor (at NAC) was nothing short of amazing, and so did he.

There are some for whom I had less regard, and they got nowt.

There are some who have my undying respect... oh, hello Rufus!

murphy1901
12th Sep 2003, 05:29
Eek!

Why do people who rant always start with "I dont want to start a rant but..." !? :oh:

Sorry if I upset you welsh person - it was a light hearted question!

The "tradition" is absolutely optional, instigated many moons ago by students - the instructors expect nothing.

.. but it certainly is not extravagant (in my view anyway) to give a small gift to someone who has helped you achieve a life time ambition, sometimes taking no small amount of risk in the process.

.. and who in all likelyhood is paid the princely sum of £10/hour to do so.

Thanks for the congrats too. I'm not quite there yet but getting close and just reflecting on what a great instructor I've been priviliged to have the opportunity to learn from.

foxmoth
12th Sep 2003, 05:34
flyingwelshman
It may to you be just a job like any other, but most of us who have been there know otherwise:- you pay a LOT of money to get into the job, THEN you work long hours (when the wx allows) but get paid b****r all. Many instructors are aiming for the airlines, but those that give good VFM deserve any pressies they get at this stage - and there is no guarantee that they WILL get further (though those that persevere will win through in the end).
;)

HelenD
12th Sep 2003, 05:49
I bought my instructor dinner though that was not just because he was a good instructor it was because hes a very good friend too. I also shared a bottle of champagne with everyone who was arround when I passed. Several evenings after a days flying we all went down the local pub to eat and drink so my instructor probably bought me a few drinks too within the rounds.

DesiPilot
12th Sep 2003, 06:23
When I did my training I could'nt afford to buy them anything. So a very sincere thanks is all I offered.

May be its time to hunt them down and take them out for a big bash. Without their help and support I wont be here today :)

maggioneato
12th Sep 2003, 15:13
My Instructor was getting married as I completed my PPl, and as he had given me a lot of his time doing ground school on the non flyable days, and had been so nice and fun to fly with, yes I bought him a Wedding gift as a token of appreciation for all his hard work. That was 7 years ago, and I still fly with him as often as we can meet up. I don't think it matters what they get paid, a little thank you does'nt go amiss.

stiknruda
12th Sep 2003, 16:38
My ab-initio instructress was absolutely excellent - Lindsay Glaum (Swaziland) who was immortalised in Anthony Woodhead's Propellerhead. I bought Lindsay (Rrrrrright rudder, rrrrrright rudder) and John her husband dinner after I passed.

I kept in touch with them throughout the years, kept them up to date on my latest flying acheivements and had arranged to visit them (fly in to their Swazi farmstrip) whilst in RSA.

Unfortunately Lindsay and John were murdered by an intruder in Jan 2001, exactly a week before I was due to visit.

I feel that I owe them ever such a lot - John was building a Christen Eagle and explained how the EAA worked and told tales of a trip to Oshkosh. Almost 15 years later, I've been to Oshkosh, built my own aeroplane and believe that that couple sowed the seeds for all of that!

Yes - good instructors are worth their weight in gold. Dinner at a "posh" Swazi gaff was definetely not enough!

Stik

VFR800
12th Sep 2003, 16:59
My instructor is a total babe, when I finish and pass my PPL, I shall be mainly enticing her out for a lavish meal and then wooing her with swiss chocolates in a Swiss Tony stylee ...

Or maybe not ! :cool:

Northern Highflyer
12th Sep 2003, 17:24
When I completed my PPL I was straight to the bar for a round of drinks. Both the instructor and examiner joined me in a mini celebration, and to this day a drink has never tasted so wonderful.

Aim Far
12th Sep 2003, 17:30
If you've got an hourbuilder instructor, give them a card saying thanks - and put money in it because these folks are usually broke.

topcat450
12th Sep 2003, 17:30
VFR800.....where does she work then? I like the idea of a fit lass in my plane - even if she is trying to tell me what to do.;)

VFR800
12th Sep 2003, 17:54
TC,

I'm not at liberty to say m8, however I fly at the airfield where the PFA rally was held this year, does that give it away?

BTW, the club actually has 2 female instructors, both of which can be classed as extremely fit, I tell you something, it makes learning to fly even more pleasurable (although a tad distracting at times!) :)

Circuit Basher
12th Sep 2003, 18:18
VFR800 - are you on commission for K***le, then??!! ;) ;)

There's going to be queues of spotty-faced adolescents wishing to be taken to heaven and back!! Prolly quite a few old f@rt$ as well - where do I sign?? ;) :D

bar shaker
12th Sep 2003, 18:29
Tradition at my club is that you buy a case of beer for the club house. Its a good idea as you can share a pint (on non flying days) with club mates, instructors etc.

As the practise has now been extended to cover purchase of aircraft, misdemeanors etc there's always some in the kitty for a Saturday evening impromptu BBQ.:)

RichyRich
12th Sep 2003, 19:01
Stik:

Posh Swazi gaff? Do they exist? Certainly not along the main road from KZN towards Moz, but then again, compared to anything inside Moz, the entire Swaziland is posh.

Sorry to hear about your friends. Tends to happen a bit too much in that neck of the woods (which is why I've changed woods, but do miss the old one). I'm (still learning to) flying because of a mate in S-Effrica taking me up in his microlight (and other reasons R:D, like a horribly turbulent trip from a bush strip in Bots in the middle of the afternoon: hint, if you go there, make sure your flights are early morning)

R

knobbygb
12th Sep 2003, 19:42
Well, managed to fly with 13 different instructors - none for more than 5 or 6 hours - so individual presents weren't an option. The largest box of chocolates Thorntons make wen't down well in the club house though. 50 quid for the examiner (before the test)helped too ;) :p

EEJay
12th Sep 2003, 20:43
knobbygb

Hope you got your chocs from the staff shop at Alfreton that way you at least save a few bob!

EEJay - sweetie/choccy lover!!!

silverknapper
12th Sep 2003, 22:35
My instructor was fired the week before my test. Went out with his last student to celebrate PPL, got pissed then beat up another student!!!!
Replaced by really fit bird, too distracting though..........I can still hear her voice 'left rudder left rudder left rudder'

VFR800
12th Sep 2003, 23:01
Fit boirds are best, see my previous post(s). Problem is with my instructor is, she IS an absolute honey however

a. She's going out with the CFI, so watch yer P's and Q's
b. She's a bit of flirt, plus being good looking, can be a bit distracting in the ole ... ahem ... joystick dept. :)

TAF Oscar
13th Sep 2003, 00:19
Couldn't afford much, so I bought mine some coffee, he'd been nicking mine all the way through the course, and gave him a (rather posh) automatic pencil I'd been using on my navlogs, he kept asking where he could get one.

Hi Desipilot! You were one of the best instructors I ever had, good job you know what it's like to be on a budget, couldn't afford to give you anything but my thanks for helping me when things weren't going well - it was all worth it! :ok:

TheKentishFledgling
13th Sep 2003, 00:51
I bought my instructor a four pack of his fave beer (Caffreys, IIRC) after my first solo.

tKF

expedite_climb
13th Sep 2003, 00:53
VFR800,

If you find you grip the controls during your lessons just remember flying an aeroplane is just like making love to a beautiful woman....:cool: :cool: :cool:

knobbygb
13th Sep 2003, 03:31
...and about as expensive too :E

foxmoth
13th Sep 2003, 06:07
Yes, but you get less hassle from an aeroplane :D

Pink_aviator
13th Sep 2003, 13:37
I KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO (or for ) FOR MINE .

I want to take him to my highland retreat ,
and ,aaaand ,aaaannd
(is it against the law to kidnap an adult? ) (its the only way i'll get him there )

I would feed him paella ,and pour beer down his throat.
i'd be good to him. I WOULD ,I WOULD.

WELL buy a plane (cosy two seater )and make him fly with me every day ,then.

He would like at least that wouldn't he.?
Teaching me all he knows.
umm

from the dreamer
PINK-AVIATOR
THE PINKSTER

flyingfemme
13th Sep 2003, 15:32
My IR instructor bought ME a present! A fabulous cheesecake from his local bakery (he knew I was a dessert freak).:D

madzone
13th Sep 2003, 17:18
A bottle of Famous Grouse for my first solo, after which I found out he wasn't a whisky drinker. Then a botttle of Remy Martin for skills test pass. And the occasional bag of donuts for the other instructors/staff

You want it when?
15th Sep 2003, 23:43
VFR800 - The lady in question, her name doesn't ryhme with Kangaroo does it?

MLS-12D
16th Sep 2003, 05:39
Why would you buy your instructor a pressie? You have been paying her/his wages for the last 50ish hours!? It's their job.... There are arguments for and against.

For: flying instructors are notoriously underpaid, and many are barely getting by. If you can afford it and if they have done a good job of getting you through your training with minimum time and headaches, it would seem a reasonable gesture.

Against: flying instructors are notoriously underpaid, and if people want to pursue this line of work, that's their own choice. If/when they land a lucrative airline job, will they refund any of the fees that they charged you?

Ultimately it is a matter of personal choice. If an instructor really puts forth a good effort (e.g., is constantly good humoured and encouraging), I think that it should be rewarded. Personally I didn't give my PPL instructor a monetary gift, but I sent a detailed letter to the CFI and said what a good job he had done, how professional he always was, etc. Hopefully that letter will be of use when it comes time to look for another job or to negotiate a raise in salary.

BTW, I gave a copy of the letter directly to the instructor, which is good because the CFI never said anything about it to him!

englishal
16th Sep 2003, 12:21
Never bought an instructor anything, partly becasue they have all been ugly freaks rather than blonde honeys :D BUT I have ended up getting pissed with more than a few of them, and possibly buying one or two beers, so does that count?

EA:D