PDA

View Full Version : Cat II ILS out at ORK?

MarkD
10th Sep 2003, 17:56
I spotted on the front of one of the local free rags that the ILS has been withdrawn at ORK and the local Aer Rianta mob aren't sure what to do next? Crikey what we need is Cat III not losing Cat II! Anyone know the truth of this one?

Tom the Tenor
11th Sep 2003, 23:23
Have been out of the picture now for just a little while but I think the withdrawal of the CAT II at Cork has something to do with the laying of underground pipes around the area of the runway 25 threshold and touchdown zones and because of this work there is temporary fencing around that part of the airfield. Not sure if this arrangement renders the airfield secure or not for CAT II operations.

But wait for this! Have heard that 'they' will wait until the end of September to decide what to do next. Hope there are no low RVRs next Sunday for the All Ireland Hurling Final as there are a number of charters due out to DUB with fans! :8

MarkD
12th Sep 2003, 17:44
"wait until the end of September to decide what to do next."

that's what the free paper said too... what's to "decide"? We need Cat 2 back at ORK pronto, seems simple enough to me! Or is it whether to attempt Cat 3 and if so, shouldn't they have PLANNED before they discontinued Cat 2?

anyone got any more info?

Tom the Tenor
12th Sep 2003, 21:28
If Cork was ever to get CAT III I will eat my hat - not going to happen. No other news about the present situation re CAT II.

Tom the Tenor
16th Sep 2003, 02:53
I hear the Irish Aviation Authority are coming under increasing pressure about the ILS at Cork. Lots of sun and match related charters last night and plenty of sea fog rolling in from the coast from Crosshaven and Kinsale. More sea fog due this evening.

The Cork Airport passengers and taxpayers deserve better than this, IAA.