PDA

View Full Version : Does your aeroclub...?

Bubble
10th Sep 2003, 02:48
...have some similar kind of rules?
My local aeroclub has a rule that you must have done some flying during the last 28 days otherwise they'll not rent you an aircraft without a previous check ride with an instructor (minimum 1 hour).

NinjaBill
10th Sep 2003, 02:50
sherburn aero club has a similar rule, cant remember the specifics of it though, i think it increases to 90 days when you reach a certain level of experience though.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
10th Sep 2003, 02:56
2 calendar months. Check ride is normally a couple of ccts. Don't know if this varies with experience.

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Sep 2003, 03:09
Pretty standard.

My local club does however have a sense of humour - they rented me a plane last week without a check ride when the only thing I'd flown within the qualifying period didn't have any wheels!

knobbygb
10th Sep 2003, 03:37
Must have flown 'somthing' in last 30 days - they seem flexible about just what. Once a pilot reaches 100 hours, the period is extended to 90 days. Checkride is just a couple of circuits (assuming the instructor's happy, of course). All this is at the CFI's discretion - a couple of days over is no problem if you ask nicely. The reason is apparently for the insurance.

IO540
10th Sep 2003, 03:52
Bubble

This appears common at my local field. The low-time pilots don't like it; it greatly increases their cost of flying :O

The only way round it is to buy your own plane, but then you've got to ask yourself if you will be a safe enough pilot on only say 12 hrs/year... probably not, though owning does give you the option of going up with another (more current) PPL friend and not have to pay an instructor.

Johnm
10th Sep 2003, 04:54
28 day recency is fairly common for pilot's with less 100 hours P1, but the minimum 1 hour check ride is not. It's usually a question of a couple of circuits with an instructor, who can quickly tell if you are too rusty to be trusted.:O

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Sep 2003, 05:25
Pretty standard. Sorry, by that I meant a currency requirement, not the minimum 1 hour with an instructor, which I didn't notice. Minimum 1 circuit would seem more reasonable, with second and subsequent circuits only if necessary.

FlyingForFun
10th Sep 2003, 17:04
Must have flown that type of aircraft within the last 28 days. Doesn't matter how long for. There are certain exceptions, for example if you've flown a Warrior within the last 28 days they will let you fly a Cherokee, so long as you have flown a Cherokee at least once before.

Outside the 28 days, it's up to an instructor. I flew once when I hadn't flown anything for 29 days. The instructor decided there was no need for a checkout at all in that particular case.

Once you have more than 100 hours, you can apply for a "green card", which increases the currency rules to 56 days. The requirements for the issue of a green card are entirely at the discretion of either the CFI or the Deputy CFI.

This type of rule is very common, the details of it vary from one club to another though.

FFF
------------------

Julian
10th Sep 2003, 18:42
Generally I have found 28 days for <100 Hrs TT and 90 days for >100 Hrs TT is the norm.

I have heard of schools wanting a check if you havent flown for 28 days with them but basically they are just after your money and taking the p1ss. A friend of mine left one school after they demanded a check for each runway!!!!!!!

Flash0710
10th Sep 2003, 18:54
There are a few schools like that in the londonish area rhymes with tab-air.........

The highwaymen of pilot training !

Anyone for venison?:E

Tiger_ Moth
10th Sep 2003, 23:57
I think every club has some sort of rule like that. At mine it's 28 days, I think irrespective of total time but it doesn't have to be a certain length as pilots obviously vary a lot in ability. For some people the ride might result in a fairly long check and perhaps a need for more work on something, maybe landings. For others it might just be a circuit or 2 then you'd be off.
I suppose it's a fair rule because they don't want to get their planes wrecked and it probably helps keep insurance down. Also it shouldn't be required too often because in the summer it isn't too hard to fly every 28 days.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Sep 2003, 00:37
My PA28 syndicate runs on 3 take-offs and landings within 90 days on our aircraft or the same type.

I used to be in another syndicate which ran on flown within 28 days for pilots with under 100hrs and 90 days over 100 hrs.

G

RW-1
11th Sep 2003, 02:47
Primarily in the States it is similar. But this is typically due to insurance requirements set for the FBO, not one of regulation (At least here, haven't looked at your regs).

I like to think that current doesnt necessarily mean proficient, so have never (yet) had an issue with this, as I fly frequently.

A and C
11th Sep 2003, 03:45
You are flying with the WRONG club if they demand one hour with an instructor minimum then they are ripping you off !.

A quick circuit should be enough if you are only away from flying for six weeks or so , but it must be down to the judgment of the instructor on the day.

Let us all know the airfields in the area that you want to fly from and the pprune contributors will no doubt supply a list of reputable clubs that dont go in for this un- ethical practice.

18greens
11th Sep 2003, 04:22
FFF

The green card used to be 6 months currency for the experienced renter.

However, I was surprised when they would not rent me an arrow because the only thing I had flown recently was a duchess (apparently thats completely different.)

Bubble,

I think you may find the 1 hour may flex with the hours you have and the time you have gone beyond 28 days. Our school does have the concept of the circuit check which is most definately less than 1 hour.

Talk to the CFI he may have some wise words. Anyway why aren't you flying every 28 days, don't you enjoy it any more?

Dewdrop
11th Sep 2003, 15:29
I think its an insurance requirement more then anything else.

A and C
12th Sep 2003, 02:49
As some one that rents aircraft out for club use I can tell you that a lot of people use "insurance" as an excuse for all sorts of "local rules" that are usualy and by pure good luck benificial to the club owners bank balance.

FlyingForFun
12th Sep 2003, 16:33
"Insurance" can work both ways! But I've only encountered it working in favour of the pilot once:

The school I hired from in Arizona have a fleet of 2-seater PA28s, as well as (I think) two 4-seaters. I asked about this - I'd never come across a 2-seater PA28 before. The answer was that they were standard 4-seater aircraft, with the rear seats ripped out. The insurance company apparently charged less to insure an aircraft with only 2 seats, and the school were able to pass the lower insurance rates on to their customers! :ok:

FFF
--------------

Bubble
15th Sep 2003, 05:06
:ok:
Thanks everybody for your comments/advice.

18Greens
Yes, I do enjoy flying very much. But it's been a question of personal circumstances and CASH.

AandC
Right now I'm based North-East coast. Any "good clubs" around this area? Maybe at Humberside airport?

A and C
15th Sep 2003, 14:06
Thats not my area so I cant comment on local clubs but I,m sure others can !.

RodgerF
15th Sep 2003, 17:38

As some one that rents aircraft out for club use I can tell you that a lot of people use "insurance" as an excuse for all sorts of "local rules" that are usualy and by pure good luck benificial to the club owners bank balance.

You mean its slightly less negative than normal!
:D