PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL to NPPL?

grow45
9th Sep 2003, 21:02
Hi folks.

I have a JAR PPL for which the Class 2 medical is due to expire in a few days. I have decided to replace it with an NPPL but have only just sent off the application. I understand the NPPL licence issue might take 4-6 weeks which means I wont have a valid licence for a short while.

I believe I should still be able to fly solo with the authority of an instructor during that period just as if I had completed the PPL course and was waiting for initial licence issue. However it occurs to me that this might not be the case as I already hold a licence (albeit about to be invalid) and the entitlement to fly solo under an instructor only applies to genuine "students". I cant find anything on the FAQs or LASORS and wont be able to speak to one of the club instructors for a while. Has anybody had a similar situation with one of their studentsand got an answer.

Thanks.

grow45

RodgerF
9th Sep 2003, 21:59
grow45

Once your medical lapses, your licence lapses as well. The 'flying under supervision' option is not available as you have no medical certificate. You are not in the position of a student who has just finished the course and waiting for a licence as they will have a valid medical certificate.

Second thoughts, presumably you have the certificate of fitness from your GP, that will be sufficient for solo flight, providing you don't carry passengers.

grow45
10th Sep 2003, 00:43
Thanks

I was thinking in terms of flying on the NPPL declaration rather than the expired JAR Medical/Licence but didn't express it very well. My concern was more whether an instructor could authorise it as I was not technically an NPPL student - simply converting from one licence to another.

g45

BEagle
10th Sep 2003, 04:13
From the NPPL website:

"JAR-FCL PPL (A) or UK PPL (A) to NPPL (SEP)

The holder of a JAR-FCL PPL(A) or UK PPL (A) with SEP class ratings who wishes to obtain a NPPL (SEP) shall:

a. Produce the JAR-FCL PPL (A) or UK PPL (A), which includes evidence of validity;

b. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical certificate.

It should be noted that any additional ratings attached to the JAR-FCL PPL (A) or UK PPL (A), such as the Night qualification or rating, IMC or FI rating are not transferable to a NPPL and the holder’s privileges will be restricted accordingly."

Yours is a very simple application which NPLG Ltd will process very quickly. However, until then you are effectively in the same situation as anyone else waiting for the CAA to issue a licence - you can only fly solo under the supervision of a FI and cannot fly as Commander with passengers.

grow45
10th Sep 2003, 16:09
Thanks BEagle. This confirms what I had thought.

I wasn't expecting to be able to fly with passengers (poor use of the word solo by me) just on my own to keep current.

g45