PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Meribel altiport

Koxvold
9th Sep 2003, 02:23
How might I go about arranging to charter a 'plane (from London, or nearby) and fly in to Meribel Altiport with a bunch of skiiers?

Does anyone know if this is possible/common?

Or perhaps I'm dreaming?

Thanks in advance,

Ian K.

simfly
9th Sep 2003, 03:02
:confused: If you are chartering a plane to fly in to Meribel, you won't get one much bigger than a small cessna! It is literally a small snow covered runway in the winter (usually not enough snow when I go skiing there!!), all I have ever seen there is Jodels. Now, Courchevel just over the hill (all in same ski area) is more interesting. The runway is longer, snow cleared, and has a nice restaurant on one side. I've seen twin otters there and I'm sure I've even seen photos of dash 7's there. To charter a bigger aircraft the nearest you will get is Chambery, about an hour away from Meribel (at least) where 737's are a common sight. (if you do get a good deal let me know, about to start looking at my winter vacation :cool: )

saucy jack
9th Sep 2003, 04:29
You could try the London Executive Aviation King Airs out of Stapleford. If they can land on 22L at Staplers (about the size of a Platinum credit card, which coincidentally is what you'll need) they shoud manage the altiport.

The problem may be finding a pilot signed off to land at Meribel...they don't let just any old idiot in.

Or you could just catch the SnowTrain and sacrifice the mile-high possibilities.

Bon ski mon ami (is it that time of year already?)

SJ

amanoffewwords
9th Sep 2003, 05:08
Check out the scenery (http://www.pilotlist.org/montagne/terrains.htm) before you go - some of the info may be old but the pictures are quite something.

Interestingly enough Meribel charges only after the second landing :uhoh: :confused:

Nozzles
9th Sep 2003, 19:56
The only aeroplanes I've seen land there during the ski season had skis on.

JB007
9th Sep 2003, 21:55
You also need a check ride to get into Courcheval. The CFI will come and collect you at Chambery in a C172.

There used to be a schedule from Paris to Courcheval in a Dash 7.

We went in with a Beech 200 a few years back, rubber underpants job!!!

Koxvold
10th Sep 2003, 21:34
Great, thanks very much. I've got a group of 12 or so... might just get into a Twin Otter (with skis?) but it sounds like it's all rather unlikely.

Not much point if I can't get someone to take us straight from London to a resort airstrip...

Cheers,

Ian K.

paulo
11th Sep 2003, 22:10
A favourite picture, been posted before in this forum but worth another link...

Tyrolean Dash 7 on Final for Courcheval (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/143885/L/)

Guy D'ageradar
19th Sep 2003, 03:16
Should also be able to connect through either Geneva or Lyon and fly onto Courchevel/Meribel, etc. Much better than a two hour drive.