PDA

View Full Version : How many local pilots in CX and KA

ronnie123
8th Sep 2003, 10:56
How many local pilots are there in CX and KA. What Iam trying to find, is how many are self sponsored and how many came thru the cadet pilot program.

Guru
9th Sep 2003, 09:00
I think there are around 200 ex-cadets in Cathay, not sure about Dragon.

sigma
11th Sep 2003, 03:11
Cathay and Dragonair will have less and less expats in the future.
Expats are expensive that is why there are around 3 courses at ADL each year- localisation of cx and ka

shortly
11th Sep 2003, 08:53
Localisation is a company aim - and a sound one too. So naturally expat terms will be gradually eroded as the process gains momentum. At the moment, however, CX is still totally reliant on its expat professionals in many areas of expertise. So, guys and gals, smoke em while you've gottem. By the by, I have watched with pleasure the Hong Kong lads (lasses on the way) struggle their way through 'the system' towards command despite blatant xenophobia being displayed by the rednecks. Why has the AOA not become involved in a number of interesting career moves made by the compny on behalf of the Hong Kong lads/lasses? Maybe the last two sentences of my blurb become a rhetorical question.

ronnie123
11th Sep 2003, 10:45
I will not get into the internal affairs of CX or KA. Iam not HK local but do have right to live and work in HK and in Q for SO position with CX, for the last 1 yr and no news from them.
Does this move you say, Shortly put me in good shoes?? :confused: :confused: any help will be great....

BusyB
11th Sep 2003, 10:50
Shortly,
I, too, have watched with pleasure the first of our cadets get through especially as I have had a lot of invovement with them. However, your attempt to denigrate the AOA with respect to them is really quite pathetic. The AOA has attempted at all times to improve their COS and as an aside the majority of the "rednecks" you refer to appear to be non AOA members.

kazumichik
11th Sep 2003, 13:24
Soooooooooo.........

Does this mean that if I join CX I am going to spend the rest of my career watching my pay and benefits be reduced?

Not a redneck; they have every right to join, of course. Just want to know how much downward pressure they're going to put on wages and benefits in the future.

sigma
12th Sep 2003, 01:49
the next stage is to increase retirement age to 60, when the local
pilot pool has reached a majority.

shortly
12th Sep 2003, 05:36
I wonder why this great airline does not have a retirement age of 60 for its aircrew? Not the historical swire reason but the reason now. It would bring us more in line with the rest of the world and would be welcomed by most. Why does the aircrew representative body resist?
Recruiting is finally back on track so hang on Ronnie no news is always good news. Kazumichik, if you are only in this game to make money I respectfully suggest you try another vocation, banking or something else equally boring brings more chance of very high remuneration. The newbies I have talked with here are all pretty content with their lot, it is going to take a loooong time before the locally employed lads/lasses replace us. Not a good thing or a bad thing just a thing. Come on in the water is fine here.

kazumichik
12th Sep 2003, 11:23
shortly,

Come on - if you can make a packet doing something that you love you might as well. I mean, Cathay Pacific isn't the ONLY airline in the world - although by the way that some people talk getting hired there is the equivalent of being selected for a moon landing.

Anyway, they don't have to completely replace expats to have a negative impact on remuneration.

So, do you know where I can find out how much Cathay drivers make and how much they have to work? In the U.S. this info is put out by an outfit called AIR, inc (jet-jobs.com) but it only covers U.S. carriers, of course.

Thanks!

jtr
12th Sep 2003, 12:34
Kaz there are certain members of CX who have been quite happy to sit back on fat cat salaries and allow the company to chop away beneath them. When it came to their turn (to have conditions attacked), they got the biggest show of support demonstrated in the history of this company. Then, knowing twas time to go (age 55), they are happy to take whatever scale/conditions offered. The best line I have heard so far is....
'I would extend (beyond 55) because I am worried about the experience levels'

All is slowly eroding. The last 10 years has seen...

B scale
Reduction in housing benifits for owners
No maternity medical benefit
No travel allowance
Reduction in total medical coverage
Reduction of retirement fund
Abolishment of overtime scheme of any signifigance
and many more...

Captain White
12th Sep 2003, 17:34
:ok:
Well the problem centres around Money as usual !!! Safety costs and airlines cannot see a return ! Experience in this game is everything, no matter what people say and there are a lot of experienced drivers at CX and KA for the obvious reasons...... :}

1. Operating in China to KA's destinations is hard work
2. Kai Tak used to sort the Men from the boys
3. Occasional Typhoons mean that KA & CX can operate when
many others cannot due to local knowledge at the rather tricky
CLK airport

Whilst accidents do NOT occur the idiots in the offices who count beans see the major costs as Pilots, Fuel & leases. They then rationalise that only Pilot's costs are flexible and are too high !

They cannot see the lengths that professionals go to to maintain OTP and safety and never will UNTIL :{ the incident/accident occurs due to inexperience in the Left Hand Seat !!!

Whoops .............. too late !!!

So whilst you deride Expats in a wonderful display of xenophobia, they have the skills that are needed and are worth paying for. One day it may change , but not yet I can assure you !!!

:ok:

1-stripper
13th Sep 2003, 07:07
After they left CX (open to your interpretation), two ex-CX cadet pilots crashed two RHKAAF/GFS aircraft on two separate incidents, where one survived and one was killed.

Dixi Normus
13th Sep 2003, 23:12
1-stipper,

What is your point??? Are you trying to say that anyone who starts their flying career as a cadet pilot can never become a capable pilot?? The captain of that GFS copper was very experience and capable. The cause of that accident is still unknown. Until then don't point any fingers.