PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of Aussie ATPL to UK ATPL (sorry its an old question)

Serengeti
4th Sep 2003, 20:29
Sorry everyone I know this is an old question and I have already looked over and over myself but I cant find the required info. I have 1000 hrs in the bush of Australia and a UK passport. I am wishing to transfer over so I can come and fly over in the UK.
The old links no longer work to relevant info:
i) Where or who do I contact for the info,
ii) Has anyone done it?

I hear from some people that it costs 50,000 GBP and some say $30,000 AUD.
Where is the best place in the UK to do the theory courses?
I am heading over there in December to check it all out, so I am VERY keen in pursuing this path.

Any help very much apprieciated.

S

African Drunk
5th Sep 2003, 04:17
Try contacting alex at bristol ground school, lots of aussies go through there and he will know what hoops to jump through.

redsnail
7th Sep 2003, 04:33
Ok, big reality check coming up.
It will cost a lot of money to convert your CPL to a "frozen" ATPL.
You will have to do the full JAR ATPL 14 exams.
You have a choice. Distance learning with brush ups or the full time route. Full time is a minimum of 6 months. (2 x 3 months).
Distance learning, see Bristol Ground School. I went to ATA at Coventry and did it full time there.
Not sure what the courses cost but you are looking at at least £1000-£3600 just for the theory. The exams are about £740.
(resits are another cost!!). Accom is extra. Plan about £100/week what ever you do.
Medical. You'll need to visit Gatwick (CAA's HQ) and cough and drop. £220 or so.
Now for the flying. YOu'll need to do at least 15 hours (some in a synthetic trainer) to convert your Instrument rating. There's a few good schools around. I believe PAT at Bournemouth is pretty good, I've heard AAA at Humberside are all right and there's some mobs in Scotland that are spot on too. You could be looking at at least £3-5,000.
You must check out the LASORS section in the CAA's website to know exactly what you must do.
Now, you'll probably have to do an MCC course as you have no multi crew time. Add another £2-4000.

Most Brits haven't got a clue as to what's involved with bush flying. So, your war stories about low level nav in the middle of the wet season will be lost on them. They'll think you're mad any way. :D Over here, if you want to jump the queue you'll need turbine time, preferably jet time and definitely airline work. Don't believe me, check out easyJet's website. Note you cannot the JAR ATPL untill you have 500 hours multi crew time.

I used to be a bush pilot however, before I came here I had over 1000 hours turbine airline flying. It helps.

All in all, I would budget at least $A30-40,000.

pandm
8th Sep 2003, 11:32
Serengeti - me too mate, finding info is hard. I'm an ex BRMite check ur pm.

Redsnail - I know you are the guru on this topic. Can you tell me does an ATPL and 500hrs multi-crew multi-engine get you out of doing the JAA theory.

Some people have suggest that a better path is to get a FAA ATP and fly American registered aircraft out of the UK. Is this viable???? Are there jobs for a 2000hr TT 1000ME PIC aussie pilot in the UK????

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

PandM

Mikey21
9th Sep 2003, 01:13
I would like to join pandm and ask the q?

I heard that having some Multi crew time, facilitate to convert.
Something like writing the Airlaw and a PPC ride with A JAA examiner, has anybody gone that route? or can anybody confirm?
Thank.

redsnail
9th Sep 2003, 07:39
Sorry fellas,
The only way you can get out of doing the 14 exams is to have +1500 hours in command of +30tonne aircraft in primarily international or similar operations. You'll be issued with a UK ATPL only. The rest of us have to do the 14 exams and get a JAR licence.
Pandm, if you want to fly Islanders etc then high time piston guys are in shortish supply. (You still have to go through the pain that is the JAR ATPL theory though)

No real knowledge of US reg aircraft here. I guess it is worth a shot but I don't know any thing about it.

Mikey, you are talking about the above situation. If you have the command time on the big(ger) jets then that is basicly all you have to do. I think it is Air Law and Human Performance. Medical and the LST with the CAA.

PS, I used to fly out of Broome as well. On those funny red and white Islanders.....

pandm
9th Sep 2003, 12:38
Redsnail - cool, I wondered about that after reading your previous posts about Horn Island & Cairns. I don't really want any more piston twin time. I have seen some guys posting with 750TT and 550Turbine wanting jet jobs. This is why I thought I would have a go.

Reallistically what are the job prospects like? If I'm to take the gamble and roll the dice would you recommend the 6 months ground theory in London or I have heard of cheap 3month courses in spain? Once you have passed the 14 exams what flying is required?

I'm a litle confused :confused: at the moment but very keen. I will be in the UK in early mid 04 but want to have everything (well as much as possible) reseached by then.

Thoughts appreciated.

PandM

redsnail
9th Sep 2003, 21:00
Ok, before commiting money to it all. You have to realise that you'll be living in the UK or Europe somewhere. Can you handle that? If you don't like the idea of living in the UK regardless of the job then don't go through the pain.

Get totally familiar with the CAA's website, in particular personal licencing and read the LASORS section G (ATPL). Print it out and go over it with a fine tooth comb.
The initial medical here is a smidge tougher than the Oz Class 1.
I have been saying that turbine time is useful to get ahead because there are thousands of low houred guys here looking for a job. As in Oz, here they tend to employ folks they know/done this system.

Can you get a job? I honestly don't know. I do know that it isn't a walk in the park unless you have turbine and pref jet time. That is a definite known.
To minimise your exposure to risk I would investigate doing it via distance learning and see Bristol Ground School for their course. You MUST come here for the brush ups though.

After the 14 exams you'll need to do a min of 15 hours (sim and flying) to convert your IR over. What is after that I don't know. LASORS should have that answer somewhere. As for the course in Spain, I know nothing about it. (regs have changed since I started it).

If you don't have +500 hours in multi pilot aircraft then you'll more than likely need to do a MCC course. Budget more money for that.

pandm
11th Sep 2003, 13:19
:ok: Thanx Redsnail - the research continues, if you don't mind I will be picking your brain again prior to coming to the UK (04).

Did you enjoy your time with coastwatch, is it a job you would recommend?

thankx again for the info

PandM

redsnail
12th Sep 2003, 01:18
Coastwatch is fun and you'll be doing different flying to what you normally do. My tip though, don't stay on the Islander/Shrike for too long. Get onto the F406/Dash 8 ASAP. Much more useful in keeping the IR skills current.