PDA

View Full Version : IR Training providers

VIRTUAL-REALITY
4th Sep 2003, 20:11
:ok: Getting lost is great!! but now it is time to find out where I am, and to find the right direction.
Any recomended IR flight school's that you guys and gals can tell me about would be greatly appreciated. I know October/November probably isn't the best time to start, so if any one has completed over these months, where did you do it (so to speak) and what were the number of days lost due to weather?
Thank you kindly,
The lost pilot of the skies!!!!!!!!!!! :ugh:

18greens
4th Sep 2003, 20:30
Did mine in Bournemouth in winter. The weather was OK and you did get to experience real IFR with ice!! It doesn't seem to matter when you do it. Finally took the test on a gin clear winter day, high pressure, no gusts etc lovely flight.

PM me if you want to discuss schools etc.

African Drunk
5th Sep 2003, 04:12
Try Aeros in glouster or bristol flying centre both got high pass rates and don't mess you about.

Cirius
5th Sep 2003, 23:51
It's worth visiting Aeros and Westflight at Gloucester - both have a good reputation. I chose Westflight and highly recommend it.

Good Luck

FougaMagister
6th Sep 2003, 00:07
I went for Atlantic Flight Training in Coventry and I'm happy to recommend them. Excellent first time pass rate - including me (now THAT's saying something!)

Cheers

VIRTUAL-REALITY
7th Sep 2003, 20:49
Thanks for the info, a couple I hadn't thought about but I will give them a call.
Might be able to find my way now :D

pickingupice
8th Sep 2003, 18:24
I hear westflight aledgedly dont pay bills, wether they do or not check they are not going bust. Personaly I would not go anywhere with only one test aircraft, if it goes belly up, your in for a long wait!

Wolverhapton flight centre has a fairly good pass rate and Ron Liddiard who instructs there, is a jolly good chap.

cfb
9th Sep 2003, 05:58
Well pickingupice, I own Westflight, and I in common with the other Companies I also own and run, I pay all of my bills.

Additionally, I'm very proud of what Westflight stands for, especially the quality of its Instructors, Mark Bill and Vince Robertson.

Sadly, its people like you, who demonstrate little integrity, and even less honesty, who drag this otherwise excellent forum into disrepute.

If you have a valid and justified comment about Westflight, lets hear it. However, I assume that you have never actually visited us, and maybe even have a hidden agenda behind your comments ?

In the mean time, we will get on with the business of providing high quality training to high achieving and appreciative students.

Chris Brooks
Owner and Director
Westflight Aviation Ltd

pickingupice
9th Sep 2003, 06:52
Integrity, mmmm, I have some, but your correct not a lot, but then I do not have a hidden agenda. Unlike some.

So if you own westflight you can correct me, after all you must have great integrity and would never tell an untruth,

I’m just a pilot m8 and as such have no business acumen whatsoever.

I know one of your instructors can teach to a good standard and is a good examiner, the other I have had no bad comment about.

In fact I know most of Bristol ATC love him dearly.

In all honesty, I’m sure your flying training is exemplary, how could it not be, considering the lengths the CAA goes to standardise all FTO’s.

As I said in my original comment, I had only heard!!! Rumour only!! After all it is the rumour network. I have no written evidence you have not paid your bills. But if you want a challenge I can make it my business to find out. But that is far too tedious.

I just pointed out to anyone going to any school make sure they are not going bankrupt. YOU WILL NOT GET ANY MONEY BACK. That goes for any school you go to whether it a small or a very large one.

My comment of one aircraft still stands I would not go to a school with only one test aircraft. Unless your integrity involves getting it through on quick 50 hour checks and dodgy annuals. After all no one in aviation would do such a thing, every one has so much integrity. No one wants to screw anyone for money. PS I did say unless!

Go to AFT, at Exeter, they are very good and do have a superb pass rate.

Chinchilla.612
17th Sep 2003, 08:15
Interesting posts on here.
I don't have much knowledge of most of the schools, but I have just completed my CPL/IR with Airways Flight Training in Exeter, and was very impressed with them. I completed everything within 4 weeks, without going over hours on the course and got full 1st time passes on both the CPL and the IR.
There were quite a few others who also passed 1st time or at least got partial passes whilst I was there.
The aircraft are good, and the instructors an excellent bunch....mainly ex military.
Would recommend these guys to anyone :o)
Best of luck.
Chinchilla.

interlink
17th Sep 2003, 21:17
2nd criticism of westflight 2nd accusation of a hidden agendas - I wonder if Mr Brooks has a hidden agenda or perhaps not so hidden