PDA

View Full Version : Silsoe Exam Venue

Canada Goose
4th Sep 2003, 08:00
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the Silsoe exam venue is like, particularly anyone who's been to Oxford as well as Silsoe. I'd always thought it was in N.Ireland, and just found out it's near Luton := !! I'm about to make venue choices between Oxford and Silsoe and as it turns out I will be staying approx midway between both venues !!

Rumour has it that Ox gets a tad choka etc .........

Comments appreciated.
Cheers,
CG
:)

VIRTUAL-REALITY
4th Sep 2003, 12:09
I have done the exams both at Silsoe and Oxford, I would choose Silsoe every time, it has more of a relaxed atmosphere.
Hope this helps!

DodgeG
4th Sep 2003, 19:57
Go for Silsoe mate ..nice tall ceilings so plenty of air.. seem to be a little more laid back there.... so much so that a little while back there were rumors of mass cheating going on with some students all from a well known school ! but we wont go into that right now....probably a little more stringent now..
Think they all got found out anyway !!

Dodge

Rote 8
4th Sep 2003, 20:19
Having examined at both I would go for Silsoe every time, far more relaxed and the accomodation is better. Just a short stroll out of the campus to the Star & Garter and other pubs in the village for a post exam pint.

Canada Goose
5th Sep 2003, 00:15
Thanks for all the replies - just the sort of feedback I was looking for ! Silsoe it is then !!

Incidentally, Rote8 ... I notice your locality as Shropshire ! I'm closing on a house in Shropshire tomorrow (I always seem to have an uncanny nack of creating more stress and excitement just when I need it least - still makes life interesting I suppose !!).

Cheers,
CG.:ok:

tankermytanker
5th Sep 2003, 04:23
Silsoe, oh the memories. Good breakfast right before the exams, fairly quiet rooms, clean, good curry/beer at Star & Garter (thanks for the help remembering that Rote 8). Go in the winter when it's a bit nippy and the fire is particularly inviting.

Anyway, I took about 16 or so exams there, one redo. Will always remember it fondly.

Tank

Jinkster
5th Sep 2003, 04:51
Anyone else remember the nice bar maids at the star and garter

Jinkster :ok:

Check Mags On
5th Sep 2003, 23:43
Just done my second lot of exams at Silsoe.
Much better than Oxford ( where I did the first lot ).

The accomodation at the conference centre is really good
if a little expensive.
But the convenience of being 100m from the exam room far outweighs the cost.

And the barmaids name at The Star & Garter if its the same one is Charlie, quite nice too.

The food at the pub is really good too.
:)

VFE
6th Sep 2003, 04:53
The accomodation at the conference centre is really good
I beg to differ. Now I've never stayed in the Ritz but my standards are somewhat higher than the conference centre.On my first visit to that place the en-suite room I'd booked at £43 per night had a shower that didn't work, a hot water tap that when it did run ran cold, a desk chair that fell apart, coat hangers that fell apart and a window that didn't close properly. I was also next door to the communal bog so had dozy/pissed people waking me up every five minutes. How I passed the exams is a mystery to me.

The place is a 100% rip off and they know it. The fact it is within spitting distance of the exam hall is the only plus. Candidates who stay there are getting screwed and if I wanted to be screwed I'd pull my pants down thank you very much.

VFE.

Check Mags On
6th Sep 2003, 07:43
While I admit that Silsoe is not the best place I have ever stayed in, I have stayed in a lot worse that cost a whole lot more.

My room had its own en-suite, a window that did shut and a sturdy desk, with a remote control telly.

The accomodation is a whole lot nicer than that at Oxford.
And not much different in price.
I don't want to get into a slanging match,
But in my opinion the place was ok.

Rote 8
8th Sep 2003, 19:01
Canada Goose

I’m glad that you have seen the light!

tankermytanker

The fire in the Star and Garter is not the only inviting feature – just ask Jinkster – he obviously remembers.

The accommodation is not great at Silsoe, but definitely better than that at Oxford; you aren’t exactly on holiday anyway.