PDA

View Full Version : Wanabee FAQ ?

Epaulettes
3rd Sep 2003, 02:29
Is there a Wanabee's FAQ anywhere ?

I have been on this board about a fortnight, although I have been lurking on and off for a couple of years and yet the number of people asking the same questions is incredible! How many school leavers ask how to become a commercial pilot each month, I bet is it in 20 odd at least, and presumeably without reading the recent questions :rolleyes:

As a new forum contributer it would be nice to read an FAQ so that I dont ask the same repetative questions of which everyone else seems to be so fond! ;)

If there is not such a text maybe we can cull the important snippets from the forum and post it sticky at the top of the forum! I would do this, but I am likely to be asking the questions and not answering them for a while!

Pilot Pete
3rd Sep 2003, 06:30
Good to see you participating Epaulettes. Good idea, but I think the idea of the search function is to provide this service. 'Search before you ask' would be my choice of 'sticky', especially in the Wannabes forum. Having said that I think most guys on here are fairly sympathetic to Newbies and generally point this out quite 'tactfully' when the usual questions arise again.

I do see it as a double edged sword though, especially in the Wannabes forum, as I think the forum would slowly grind to a halt as fewer and fewer questions were posted (as they'd all been answered before) and I personally don't have an issue with answering similar questions again (well, leaving at least a couple of days before re-writing an answer!) and I think it is sometimes gentler on a (polite) newbie to do the search for them and show them where the answer lies with a link. Remeber, some guys are newbies to chat forums, not just pprune.

PP

FlyingForFun
3rd Sep 2003, 22:33
I agree with Pilot Pete. Not only would the forum dry up very quickly, but also this information must be kept up to date. Schools close down or get authorised to run new courses. Rules change. Airlines' requirements subtly evolve. An FAQ would gradually become less useful over time.

I don't have a problem answering (or reading about) the same things over and over again. I do have a problem if someone asks a question when the answer is on page 1 of this forum - but most people have the sense to at least look at page 1 before posting! ;)

FFF
--------------