PDA

View Full Version : please advise on higher education...

Pilot16
2nd Sep 2003, 20:16
Hi

Here is the situation, Im 17 and about to begin A2's in Geography, Electronics and Physics with an AS in English Lit.

I have my PPL Skill Test in two weeks with night requirements met.

I have thought much about this... I did consider doing the ATPL Residential streight after A Levels with no degree however with much researching and posting on pprune, I have come to the conclusion a degree would be best, an aviation related one.
The problem would be where to fit the ATPLs.

I have looked at many degree courses offered by convenient uni's, and have cut down to the few that I might like to do...

BSc Aviation Management by Guildhall Uni, now Metropolitan University

FDSc Aviation Management & Operation Foundation degree, also by Guilhall Uni. On the 2nd year you obtain ATPLs via the residential course offered by the uni and you complete the CPL and IR at a flying school (frozen ATPL). The FDSc can be topped up to a BSc.

I have also looked at Aircraft Engineering course offered by Kingston Uni, where with the required experience you get the JAR Engineering Licenses and with the optional third year a BEng degree. After researching and much thought, I have come to the conclusion that this is not quite the thing for a pilot but for someone who wants a career in engineering. Any thoughts? (I have heard of pilots who are also engineers)

The BSc Aviation Management degree is a full time three years course at the uni, which means the ATPL theory will have to be done via distance learning method...in this case, it would be Bristol.

What will leave me with the most chance of being employed as pilot (although with very few hours at first :O)?

Any idea's on what to do, advise,,
opinion etc. will be much appreciated :)

Thanks for reading :)
P16

Pilot16
3rd Sep 2003, 02:14
27 views, no reply :\
anyone :confused:

Pilot Pete
3rd Sep 2003, 06:35
Pilot16

Have you looked at this (http://tldynamic.leeds.ac.uk/ugcoursefinder/2003/prospectus3SQL.asp?prog_id=840&recurse=1) one?

Regards

PP

Spikeee
3rd Sep 2003, 20:26
The one Pete pointed out i had a look into. But at the moment u cant do the pilot studies one as u already have a PPL. But u'd be able to do the Management one fine. They also said u'd be able 2 do the project about aircraft.

I've just finished my a-levels and PPL but decided against uni, i dont have the money to both go to uni and pay to continue flying.

A lot of sponsorships (not that there are many ne more) dont require a degree but u will be greatly more desirable if u have one.

I've just started working and hope to build some experience and flying qualifications then hopefully find a sponsorship.

Also, i asked Leeds if i'd be able to do like an IMC rather than the PPL on the pilot studies course. They said that they're looking into it but havent got anything at the moment. Hopefully they'll have one going for u next year.

Good luck,

Spike

LFS
3rd Sep 2003, 20:44
The management option is identical to the Pilot Studies course except the 45 hours flying training is replaced with a work placement in airport operations.

Pilot16
4th Sep 2003, 08:04
Thanks very much Spikee and LFS...

Thats something new what LFS mentioned! Is work placement a requirement in the Aviation Management course, LFS?

Any thoughts on engineering anyone? or is that a completely different path to piloting :confused:

Spikee...All the best with your training :ok:

LFS
4th Sep 2003, 20:46
The management placement is an integral part of the course on the management option. It gives you a broad view of airline and airport operations.

I actually did an Aerospace engineering degree because I wanted to become a pilot and seemed the most relevant degree at the time. For me this was a mistake (it certainly tought me that I do not want to be an engineer), and because I wasnt very interested in the engineering side I struggled with the degree. It was actually partly my experience ( and the experience of some others I know) that helped lead to the new degree at Leeds as we wanted to creat a degree that was not only aimed at giving people some pilot training but also perpare them for a wide range of careers in the aviation industry.