PDA

View Full Version : CPL requirements

BUDGIE
2nd Sep 2003, 04:57
Is it possible to do the CPL course and test without having the exam credits on the modular system?
What I am suggesting is holding off application for the blue book and once exams complete and IR complete apply for the whole lot in one go.
I essentially am pushed for time between my last lot of ATPL's and my IR course date-1month and 20days- and have to do the CPL in this period.

Obviously expecting 1st time passes but worried more about not passing Air Law or something silly.

BUDGIE

Keygrip
2nd Sep 2003, 05:10
No Budgie, it is not.

You ust have a full pass in all examinations before being allowed to attend course of flight training.

CPL school has to issue you with Form "170A" - which says you have met all requirements for test.

Examiner cannot give you flight test without you presenting form 170A.

You can, however, do the I/R before the CPL course (provided relevant exams passed) if that helps.

Have the month off - resit AirLaw, do I/R then follow with CPL afterwards (even get a 10 hour credit for it - CPL course will only be 15 hours and no I/F during CPL skill test)

Send Clowns
2nd Sep 2003, 05:20
It is entirely possible, although not advisable. I had a student come to me (from a major school that shall remain nameless, he was not one of ours) desperate to pass his final ATPL exam, having passed his CPL and coming up to the 6-month limit for the pass to licence issue. This is unusual : wait for the results before your CPL skills test, even I would suggest befire getting too far with your training unless you are supremely confident.

Then wait and apply for the CPL and IR at the same time - I did, and I seem to remember it is a little cheaper this way (they only print and stamp a piece of paper once, which only costs £180 or so :rolleyes: )

Are your school not flexible about your IR start date? You can be delayed by any number of factors (I was ill for 5 weeks in my CPL). If you miss your start date and rebooking is awkward try other schools - my employers would certainly try to help!

BUDGIE
2nd Sep 2003, 05:21
Will it not mean though, that I would only have a PPL/IR or if I do the CPL afterwards does it mean I automatically upgrade to CPL/IR?

Cheers
BUDGIE

Send Clowns
2nd Sep 2003, 05:27
The order of the CPL and IR should not matter.

BUDGIE
2nd Sep 2003, 05:42
sorry to be a pain in the ar*e but......just been reading the CAA's website and it kinda reads as though I need the same ATPL passes to do the IR course as I would the CPL course?
Just worried about a resit even though I haven't had one so far.

Thanks for all your input, it's appreciated

BUDGIE

Send Clowns
2nd Sep 2003, 07:19
Sorry, when I mention CPL and IR passes I mean the flight test. Very few people take the individual CPL or IR groundschool exams. Most do ATPLs.

Technically I think the groundschool passes are only needed for licence issue, or perhaps to take the test (we were under that impression until this student came with a CPL flight-test pass but still lacking one ATPL ground exam pass). In practice you should not really consider taking the test, best not to do too much of the course, before you have all your groundschool passes. Chat to a ground instructor you get on with at your school, they should know as much as I do, and also know you.

Leigh Collins
2nd Sep 2003, 22:48
You may start your CPL course when you have 150 hours flight time, you have completed your class training for the aircraft you will test in and you have reached your 18th birthday.

One other thing to consider is that the night qualification must be completed, if not before the start of the CPL course, then during your CPL training. This must be completed before the CPL LST.

A valid Class one must be held throughout the CPL training.

You can start the CPL course before the exams have been completed or started! This I believe is not wise. You MAY NOT attempt the CPL or the IR skill tests, unless ALL of the relevant exams are passed. If you have not completed the exams I suggest this should be your priority.

To start your IR course is similar. Your class rating training must be complete before the start of the course, although one major school to my knowledge has been exempt this and my school was absolutely denied it!!!!!

You need 50 hours cross-country, 10 hours of, which must be fixed wing aircraft. Be over 18 years old. Hold a valid class one or two medical.

LFS
2nd Sep 2003, 23:12
Leigh is quite correct about needing to have passed all relevant exams before taking either the CPL or IR skill tests. However, you do not need to have completed all 'class training' before starting the CPL course as the MEP Class rating can be combined with the CPL course (adding 3 hours to the length of the course) and the MEP skill test combined with the GFT.

LFS

pickingupice
3rd Sep 2003, 04:31
you are both correct, you may combine your multi training and your CPL ONLY IF YOUR COURSE HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE CAA.

Otherwise Leigh is correct.

mad_jock
3rd Sep 2003, 04:47
And you don't need a valid class one medical either.

You only need it valid when you send the paper work off.

How do i know because mine was lapsed and i had to run round like a blue arsed monkey trying to get one before sending the application off.

The CAAFU never looked at my Medical cert

MJ

Keygrip
3rd Sep 2003, 22:19
MJ - CAAFU are required to look at your medical - if only to say "Hey, you only have Class 2 privilidges on this out of date Class 1 medical - are you aware that should you take this flight test now and pass it, you will not be granted CPL privilidges until you renew Class 1 status? Do you still wish to proceed with the flight test, or postpone it?"

They must have forgotten with you.......but you are correct - you do not need a Class 1 medical to take the flight test (or training).

RodgerF
3rd Sep 2003, 22:32
KG

As far as I know if you have a JAA Class 1, when it expires that's it. No Class 2 privileges following expiry. If you want to operate in this way, you need to have the AME issue both the Class 1/Class 2 certs at the time of the examination.

No. 2
3rd Sep 2003, 22:36
Keygrip,

Does that mean you can postpone renewing your class 1 medical until it is required for the flight test and fly with class 2 privileges in the mean time?

RodgerF
3rd Sep 2003, 23:00
No 2

Need to watch this. If you let the Class 1 lapse for any length of time beyond 90 days and need to renew then you should be aware of the requirements for this.

See Appendix 1 in JAR-FCL 3.105

link is here
http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/43/52/435247/435247.pdf