PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting ASP Feedback!

My names Turkish
2nd Sep 2003, 02:41
Same question from two highly regarded sourses. From reading the explanations to the questions from the two sources it appears to be a difference of opinion thing! Again..

If One Cell of a 12 volt battery is dead?

a) The battery is unserviceable and must be replaced immediately

b) the voltage will be 1/12th of its normal value.

c)The voltage will be 1 1/12th of its normal value

d)The capacity and voltage will be 1 1/12th of their normal value

Answer Given C

And:

In a 12 Volt Secondary Cell Battery has 6 cells and one cell is Dead:

a) you cannot use it

b)1/12th of a reduction in voltage, but can still be used

c)1/12th of a reduction in voltage, capacity also reduced but can still be used

d)1/12th of a reduction in capacity, voltage also reduced but can still be used.

Answer:A

The answer from the first assumes no damage to the cell and hence no change in resistance. I would add, to anyone whos doing these exams that you have a conflicting set of questions to try and get to the bottom of it, as its a certainty that you will see it in the exams with both sets of answers. Murphys Law and all that :{

P.S I had noticed that the two questions are worded slightly differently but I wasnt sure if that mattered?

malaysian eaglet
4th Sep 2003, 06:39
It is one of the feedback problem. As it is done by students they are not reliable at 100%. However they are a very valuable and not replaceable source but they need to be filtered.
About your question, as stated the answer is that the battery is unserviceable. No doubt about this question. Or one cell cannot conduct the (internal) current or the voltage is not sufficient, in any case this battery cannot fulfill its function.