PDA

View Full Version : Marker pen for Pooley's CRP-1 Computer

fonawah
1st Sep 2003, 21:10
Can anyone recomend a marker pen brand that is easily erasable for the CRP-1 (wind side)?
I used a non-permanent one but it hardly writes on that surface. Using a permanent one make erasing the lines very difficult.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

flyingwysiwyg
1st Sep 2003, 21:26
Hi fonawah,

I just use a permanent marker and then erase it with Meths or another less smelly solvent based cleaner. I carry a small container in my flight bag.

I have seen people using chinagraph pencil before. I assume its just rubs away

Cheers,

F - Wyg

fonawah
1st Sep 2003, 21:39
Thanks F-Wyg,
I'll give that a go

FlyingForFun
1st Sep 2003, 21:53
I popped into my local stationary shop. They only had one brand of non-permanent marker, so that's what I use - but I can't remember what it is! Will try to remember to bring it with me tomorrow and let you know the brand name.

FFF
-------------

fonawah
1st Sep 2003, 22:17
Thanks FFF,
I await your reply

Mike Cross
1st Sep 2003, 22:50
One of the miniature shampoo bottles you get in hotel bathrooms seems to hold a little meths without any problem. It's never leaked and holds less than a tablespoonful, considerably less that the quantity of avgas in the tanks. A small scrap of J cloth works fine for clearing the marker off both the computer and the chart.

Make sure you use meths or some other form of alcohol (e.g. isopropyl alcohol) and not other solvents such as acetone which can seriously ruin your CRP1.

I use fine point Staedtler or Mars Lumocolour overhead projector pens (permanent) which are available in a variety of colours.

Mike

High Wing Drifter
1st Sep 2003, 23:52
A black chinagraph pencil works fine for me, although it needs to be fairly well sharpened. It just so happens that I always seem to have a chinagraph to hand but as an alternative, the black non-permie markers available at WH Smith work a treat too. Both may be easily wiped off with one's thumb.

Floppy Link
2nd Sep 2003, 01:00
a pencil?
it worked for me, maybe the design of the things has changed and the new material won`t take pencil, worth a try. Cheaper too.

Flying Boat
2nd Sep 2003, 01:13
Chinagraph, soft leaded pencil (2-4B) or the Steadtler OHP Watersoluble pens with a fine tip.

I use them for my CRP5, or used to until I finished my ATPL writtens.

FB:ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Sep 2003, 01:26
Tips:

1. Get an electronic computer
2. Use a normal eraser in combination with a permanent marker
3. Use alcohol wipes like nurses use before taking bloods

FD

Speedbird252
2nd Sep 2003, 06:23
I use the Staedtler Lumocolors on my CRP-1, best thing to use to erase the pen is nail polish remover.

Works a treat, the pen doesnt rub off like chinagraphs do, and you can stick a small bottle of it in your flight bag, my other half has one use nail polish remover pads which are in a sachet which are well handy.

Only minor drawback is that you have to be carefull using it as it will also remove the markings on the CRP-1 itself if you go a bit mad with the cloth.

Speedy:ok:

Flying Boat
2nd Sep 2003, 06:33
Another solvent that is forgotten is, hairspray, the firmer hold the better.

Spray the hairspray on, rub the ink off & any residue can be removed by a damp cloth with a small amount of mild detergent. Doesn't effect the plastic too.

FB

holbrob
13th Sep 2003, 05:01
Guys, a really simple answer to your probs!!!!

Use any permanent marker pen to daw any lines, dots, crosses etc. when you have finished get a non-permanent marker and write over the old marks. Get a cloth and rub 'em off!!!!!

This also works on the charts (providing you have laminated charts!!!).

:ok:

Saab Dastard
13th Sep 2003, 06:38
Fonawah,

I use a medium, red, non-permanent marker, no problem. You only need one dot, after all! Lick your finger and rub it off when done.

If you use permanent marker, a good solvent is acetone (the active constituent of nail polish remover, but without the cr*p, or price). I get it in Boots or Superdrug. Never tried meths (except on Friday nights, but that's another story :} )

Using a pencil eraser is supposed to make the surface opaque over time, I believe. Not proved this myself.

Cheers

SD

RichyRich
13th Sep 2003, 18:17
Use a pencil, and you can use your thumb to erase it. I use a normal HB pencil, no problems at all. That reminds me, I should sharpen it before skills test :O

cessnababe
14th Sep 2003, 04:39
The manufacturers recommend using a HB pencil. Alternatively you can purchase a CRP1 with a wind arm where you do not need to use a pencil at all. Ring Pooleys or check out their website or read the handbook which comes with the CRP1
Good luck!