PDA

View Full Version : Flying STN/LTN-EDI

Jordan D
1st Sep 2003, 15:34
I'm going to Uni up north, and will be using Easyjet a fair old amount when I need to make a trip back south (its much cheaper than GNER).

I wanted to know why Ryanair doesn't compete with Easyjet on these sectors ...

Answers appreciated.

Jordan

LTNman
1st Sep 2003, 16:16
It’s called BAA’s monopoly of major Scottish airports.

Buster the Bear
1st Sep 2003, 16:29
Book early, months in advance if you can predict your journey dates, prices are so much cheaper.

I hope your studies go well.

WHBM
1st Sep 2003, 19:30
Another reason is that Ryanair and Easyjet do not really compete head-to-head on routes, and Easyjet got there first.

FR to Prestwick, EZY to GLA and EDI.

Jordan D
2nd Sep 2003, 19:50
Thanks all:

I'm booking early - I've already booked one trip back south for parents' B'days ... tickets were under a £5, but got done on the taxes!

LTNman: if it's to do with BAA Monopoly, then why don't FR fly STN-EDI?

WHBM: Is it a strict rule that they can't compete head-to-head STN-EDI?

Jordan

Alloy
2nd Sep 2003, 20:55
Jordan D,

EDI, GLA and STN are all BAA airports.

Gaza
3rd Sep 2003, 16:39
Is it a strict rule that they can't compete head-to-head STN-EDI?

There is no rule preventing FR for competing on STN-LHR. MOL could start a service but BAA probably won't give him the type of dicount he is looking for. If they cut the rates then they would have to do the same for EZY.

MOL doesn't even like operating EDI-DUB. He complains the cost is too high. A year or so ago he was in talks with the MOD/RAF about using RAF Leuchars as his presence on the East Coast. Edinburgh Leuchars would be an absurd prospect.

Jordan D
3rd Sep 2003, 19:43
Gaza - I think the only people who would be happy with 'Edinburgh Leuchars' would be the folk of St Andrews, who have to lug it down to Edinb itself to fly!

Alloy - I know all three are BAA owned/operated along with ABZ, what I was wondering is seeing that FR operate out of STN already (BAA owned), why couldn't they operate into EDI?

Jordan

Woofrey
3rd Sep 2003, 22:18
Jordan - I think you'll find that BAA STN make some money on the shopping from FR flights which offsets some of the discount they give on the landing charges. If they discount both STN and EDI they'd be giving away both lots of landing fees and getting b* all from shopping which has low yield from domestic pax.

Basically you don't do deals if you own both ends.

Jordan D
4th Sep 2003, 00:50
Thanks Woofrey - just wondering how this works with respect to EZY?

Jordan

Woofrey
5th Sep 2003, 00:11
Dunno, but it's a fair point - can only assume EZY have a deal which either only applies at one end or is aggregated - something MOL probably wouldn't entertain.

Jordan D
5th Sep 2003, 15:40
Thanks ... just a thought ..l if FR are to open up at LTN, what's the possibility of keeping from there to STN?

Jordan