PDA

View Full Version : Ppl - Atpl

DavidLucas2002
1st Sep 2003, 02:18
Hello I'm 15 and just need some infomation, I have had a few lessons and plan to move to Cyprus along with my family in 2 + years, In Cyprus the lessons are £50 per hour so much cheaper than here, how many hours do you need to get your PPL, also how many to get an instructors rating. Also how would I go about getting a ATPL once I had my ppl. Like what are the steps. One last thing I know for PPL you dont need any grades from school etc but do you need any grades for ATPL, if i got my ATPL with out any a levels how much chance would I get of getting a job.

Charlie Zulu
1st Sep 2003, 02:51
Hi David,

I'm not sure about the Cypriat PPL requirements but the JAA requirements are 45 hours minimum. I gather Cyprus haven't signed up to the JAA yet? I might be wrong though.

Anyway the route from a PPL to a JAA ATPL is roughly as follows (assuming modular route):

1) PPL
2) Hour Build to 150 Hours Total Time (100 Pilot in Command)
3) ATPL Ground School and Written Examinations
4) CPL Flight Training Course
5) Instrument Rating Flight Training Course (the expensive bit!)

You'll probably end up with something in the region of 250 hours total time and a JAA CPL/IR with ATPL theory knowledge (aka fATPL).

In order to obtain the full ATPL all you will need to do is build your hours to 1500 total time including certain requirements such as multi crew time, night flying time etc.

To gain a Flight Instructor rating you don't necessarily need a CPL but in order to get paid you do need a CPL. You need to have CPL knowledge and a couple of hundred hours so you might as well go the whole hog! Anyway there is a Flight Instructors course leading to a FI(Restricted) - that means you'd need to be supervised by a full FI and you can't endorse first solo's etc. the restriction can be removed upon completion of a certain amount of requirements. The course is around the 30 hour mark and can be started once you're CPL is finished if you so desire.

On top of that, to get an airline job or a job on a multi crew aeroplane you will need to complete a CRM/MCC course (Crew Resource Management / Multi Crew Cooperation).

Hope this helps and all the best for the PPL.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

mrbungle
1st Sep 2003, 03:39
There are also minimum age requirements for licencing of PPL-ATPL to consider !

DavidLucas2002
1st Sep 2003, 03:58
thank you very helpful, yes cyprus does have the JAA I just call it PPL still sorry, thanks again

BillieBob
1st Sep 2003, 04:34
Cyprus is, as yet, only a Candidate Member of the JAA. This means that any 'JAA' licence issued by the Cypriot Authority will not be recognised as such by the remainder of the JAA but will, in effect, be a Cypriot national licence.

Send Clowns
1st Sep 2003, 04:54
There is no formal educational requirement, but as a Navigation groundschool instructor I would recommend you pay attention in maths lessons! Maths up to GCSE level is an essential part of this and other ATPL exams and it is helpful if you know the maths already.

Assuming Cyprus is already JAA-compliant you will have to be 16 to fly solo, 17 to hold a PPL, 18 to hold a CPL and 21 to hold an (unfrozen) ATPL.

Best of luck!

DavidLucas2002
7th Sep 2003, 04:27
thanks, you how much are we looking at money wise to do all this thanks.

Danny_R
10th Sep 2003, 02:24
Oh anywhere between 40 and 60 thousand pounds

DavidLucas2002
10th Sep 2003, 03:28
:sad: lol my God. Thanks you need to be a bliming pilot to beable to afford the training lol!