PDA

View Full Version : After landing instructions

Timothy
31st Aug 2003, 20:27
The other day I went to Filton, they were landing 27 and I was for Apron 1.

There are two ways of getting there, depending on traffic. One is to backtrack, the other to exit at Charlie or Delta and taxi the long way round.

To be expeditious, if you are going to backtrack it is better to land short and if going the long way round it is better to land long.

On this occasion there was a B200 waiting at Echo, so there was some doubt as to which I would be asked to do, so I asked on short final which to expect, so that I could land appropriately.

The controller replied, rather abruptly I thought, "after landing".

I assume what he meant by this was that he didn't think that it was appropriate to have a radio conversation about taxy instructions when I was on short finals. If I am right, why would that be? To keep the freq open for emergencies? Because he thought I should concentrate on the landing (my decision surely)? or what?

Or is there another reason?

As ever, asking, not criticising.

W

eastern wiseguy
31st Aug 2003, 20:54
Perhaps HE didn't know...he would not be aware perhaps that you would be thinking ahead and was leaving you to concentrate on the landing leaving HIM to concentrate on the ATC (his job surely;) )His phone may have been ringing ...he may have had other frequencies on ...he may have had a multitude of other things to do ...you were I presume cleared to land ...he had dealt with you and may have had something else he can be doing whilst you aviate to a perfect landing!.Just a thought.(as an afterthought I will tell an aircraft in the air if I expect it to use a SPECIFIC exit ..failing that I let you get on with it) Regards

Warped Factor
1st Sep 2003, 05:56
Personally don't see why it couldn't have been sorted whilst you were still in the air.

Used to do similar regularly in the tower at EGLL......after landing vacate at block xx, or roll past block xx before vacating etc etc.

Worked a treat.

WF.

Chilli Monster
1st Sep 2003, 06:48
Sorry I missed you WC - been on the hols.

Anyway - unlike Heathrow Ops people who operate in and out of Filton are of a wide diversity of standards and there have been a couple of clever people in the past who have done just what you did and then didn't manage to land in the way they (and therefore we) expected. Once bitten twice shy as the saying goes. Coupled with that it's also a decision that, because of the taxying and runway utilisation problems there (using both ends at the same time for expedition is a way round it - landing 09 and departing 27) it's often better not to make the decision until you're on the ground rather than put all your eggs in one basket as it were.

Warped - oh for the luxury of having blocks and all those exits :)

Timothy
1st Sep 2003, 15:32
Chilli

I thought you would give me the answer, but I didn't PM you because they told me you were on holiday.

Anywhere nice? :D

Anyway, thank you for the answer. There are interesting echos to the "access to Class D airspace" thread. Because you have dealt with a couple of plonkers historically you now are shy of working in a team with any pilot :} :}

Just a thought ;) :O

W

expedite_climb
1st Sep 2003, 19:10
Short final to LGW the other week...

"After landing C is not available"

"Roger can we roll to the end"

"Affirm".