PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle - Minimum Avgas uplift??

Squadgy
31st Aug 2003, 16:23
Hi,

Notice from the NOTAMs that EGNC are restricting AVGAS uplifts to a min of 100 ltrs. Anyone know the reasoning behind this ?

As Carlisle is in a bit of an licenced airfied 'desert', does anyone else think this rule could encourage pilots to land with less than minumums? What about aircraft which can't hold 100ltrs ?

ecj
31st Aug 2003, 18:04
Wick has a minimum uplift for AVTUR. 250 litres ?

G-AMMY
1st Sep 2003, 03:58
Squadgy,

I visited Carlisle about 3 weeks ago on my way to Blackpool. I read about this in the NOTAMS before leaving. When we arrived at Carlisle I asked about this and they said that it was no problem to uplift less than 100ltrs.

Great little airfield, and the bar serves good food!

:D

witchdoctor
1st Sep 2003, 18:48
From talking to one of the refuellers when the NOTAM first appeared, I think it revolves around some kind of callibration problem with the amount displayed on the pump. It delivers more fuel than indicated (free fuel!!!!!:D ).

Apparently the NOTAM is just to cover the airfield from a trading standards point of view, as the pump has been callibrated accurately now to 100l, or some other such nonsense.

There is no problem whatsoever with uplifting less fuel than stated. Quite handy given how many a/c are based there which couldn't take 100l if they tried.

P.Pilcher
1st Sep 2003, 19:43
I seem to remember that, many years ago, the Dutch introduced a rule of a minimum Avgas uplift to avoid paying (quite substantial) fuel duty. This was to ensure that fuel duty was paid by small aircraft. Inevitable, not long afterwards an aircraft which could just upload the minimum on nearly empty tanks ran out of fuel on the approach and crashed. I cannot remember whether this caused loss of life, but the Dutch rule which had patently been the cause of the accident was absolved of all blame at the enquiry which concluded that "safety is the responsibility of the aircraft commander, not the Dutch customs authorities".