PDA

View Full Version : Flying schools based near to Leeds

Ian_Wannabe
30th Aug 2003, 05:30
Hey everyone,

I'm about to move to Leeds in about four weeks, and so I need to do some research into the flying schools around that area.

I'll be living close to the Leeds University campus and i'll have my car with me, so that stretches out the range that I can travel a bit.

I noticed that Leeds flying school is quite pricey - £175 per hr for an instructor on a C152 or something :yuk:
Being a student in the sense of education and aviation, I cant afford this, so any other places that are reasonably priced will do.

I have about 4-6 hours left to do for my PPL

So any links or advice you can give me will be a great help! Cheers

Thanks in advance,

Ian

DB6
30th Aug 2003, 05:41
Sherburn In Elmet's about 30 mins away, near Selby. Well worth the trip.

Ian_Wannabe
30th Aug 2003, 22:21
Thanks, any more anyone?

Flock1
31st Aug 2003, 20:09
What about Full Sutton (near York). The flying school has there has two PA-28 Warriors. Pretty cheap as well I think.

It's a grass strip, but it does the job. Solo hire is £66/hour with fuel.

Bodie
31st Aug 2003, 20:13
Might be a bit far but there is the Lancs Aero Club at Barton. www.lancsaeroclub.co.uk

Bodie

Timothy
31st Aug 2003, 20:31
From what I have seen as a visitor, Sherburn seems perfect in every way and you should not need to look any further.

I have nothing to do with them except as a thoroughly satisfied customer.

W

Ian_Wannabe
31st Aug 2003, 22:05
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :ok:

WCollins, I was looking at Sherburn as it seems to be the closest one with cheap rates.

My only concern is that it operates from inside the MATZ - But I have no idea if this will interfere with any kind of training I'll need to do. I dont even know if its worthy of any kind of concern, can anyone give me any reasons why it might need to concern me?

Thanks in advance, any more schools that people have used would be very helpfull - cheers

Diamond 'katana' geezer
31st Aug 2003, 22:36
Hi Ian

i fly from sherburn, the MATZ causes absolutely no problem at all. in fact it quite nice to have some RT to practice.

Sherburn is good to get your PPL. recommend it :ok:

Geez :cool:

Ian_Wannabe
31st Aug 2003, 22:41
Cool - thanks Diamond

Do you happen to know if Sherburn has a website? I've searched on google with no success, but i'm hoping there's one which isnt listed...

Thanks

PA38
1st Sep 2003, 00:36
I have just rejoined Sherburn after not flying for 2 years and just passed my GFT without any further tuition… I was chuffed anyway:ok:

The web site is here http://www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk/

Ian_Wannabe
1st Sep 2003, 02:04
Congrats! :ok:
'n thanks for the link

Northern Highflyer
1st Sep 2003, 17:05
Fully support Sherburn. :ok:

Plenty of aircraft in good condition. Friendly and helpful place with reasonable prices too. They must be good if they managed to get me through the PPL syllabus. :cool:

LFS
1st Sep 2003, 18:57
Just to point out, we are nowhere near as expensive as Ian_wannabe makes out, I believe he was looking at the FIC training rates. However our main business is Commercial training and the University course. I would also recommend Sherburn as one of the best PPL flying clubs locally, a good place to learn and a nice club as well.

JP5A
1st Sep 2003, 20:30
A good place to look for flying schools and all things to do with aviation is:-

www.askaprice.com

Ian_Wannabe
1st Sep 2003, 22:11
Hey thanks again everyone :ok:

To LFS - I feel bad now as I probably read your website wrong as I only glanced over it. My appoligies if the figure I stated was wrong

Thanks again

Ian

md 600 driver
2nd Sep 2003, 14:10
sherburn definately gets my vote esp with the new hard runway and night lights
steve

Timothy
2nd Sep 2003, 15:41
...it is good that they hardened a runway, but to be fair the runways were as smooth as a baby's bottom before.

W

martinidoc
3rd Sep 2003, 23:49
And just to add support for LFS, I did my Commercial at Leeds Flying School (Not to be confused with multi-flight) and can highly recommend their friendly individual and flexible approach, particularly S.A.