PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Magazine articles

dublinpilot
30th Aug 2003, 04:02
Am I the only one who looks at the aviation mags headline and sees what looks like an informative article, only to be disappointed with the article itself?

I read Flyer & Todays Pilot....don't read Pilot so can't comment.

As an example...this months Flyer. Top of the cover page "Headset Compatibility: The problems and the solutions". The article goes into a bit of dept on the reasons for the problem. The solutions?.....a passing reference to diagnostic too available. No comment on what it does...or test of it, or alternatives. We all know about the problem! A bit more on the solutions would be better :rolleyes:

This is just an example. There are numerious articles on flying to certain countries, billed as "All you need to know about flying to...", but only give a passing reference to what you need to know. In three year of reading these mags, I've yet to read a trip article that would be of any significant use when flying to that country.

So back to my original question....am I the only one to look excitedly at the articles billed....only to find I was mislead, and the contents don't match the headline?:ugh:

dp

Monocock
30th Aug 2003, 06:23
I know where you're coming from DP.

I have often looked at the front page and thought "Oh good, something I've been wanting to find out more about" and then been disappointed.

The techhy ones are particularly bad. They try and encourage you to do things to your a/c and then leave you paranoid that you will do something wrong!!

:(

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Aug 2003, 07:42
Two suggestions, dublinpilot:

1) Read 'Pilot'.

2) If you still think it lacks something, submit your own piece.

In defence of 'Flyer', I think Miles McCallum's techy pieces are the dog's whatsits.

SSD

Irishwingz
30th Aug 2003, 09:33
I'v ever only bought one mag before, thst was Flyer, primarily for the classifieds. However I got this months Pilot for their specialon flying abroad - I found the article on western Australia particularly informative and since then I've contacted the school named and been happy etc.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. At the end of the day they are trying to shift copies, spend a bit more time browsing all titles before you buy any of them. I only bought Pilot becaause of a recommendation on this forum for another Ppruner...

To be honest I think you can get anything from here on Pprune so why bother with the mags??:8

Slainte:E

Pilotage
30th Aug 2003, 16:30
I've good reason to believe that at least three of the main writers in that issue of Flyer, as well as the editor, are readers and/or regular posters on PPrune (although as it happens I've no idea who the author of the headset article - certainly not me.)

In that context, if you fancy giving a detailed assessment of what you think about the content, strengths and weaknesses of the individual articles - or the general makeup of the issue, whilst they may or may-not choose to respond, I suspect that your opinions will at-least get read carefully by some Ppruners who take their aviation writing seriously (and I'm pretty certain they all do).

P

dublinpilot
31st Aug 2003, 00:14
Pilotage,

I don't mean to be critical of that article I mentioned. The article was fine. It clearly described what the problem was, and what caused it etc etc. My problem was more with the way it was billed "Headset Compatibility: The problems and the solutions". It clearly was about the problems.....but had nothing to do with the solutions. Who ever wrote the headline didn't properly reflect what the article was about!

In any case, I don't mean to focus on any one article. I only picked that one because it was to hand when posting!

It just seems that in general the writer writes about one thing, and then who ever writes the head lines, describles it as something else!

Pilotage
31st Aug 2003, 05:35
I think that editors are often quite fond of changing titles (some will change almost anything, but the latter probably don't keep the good writers).

P

sean1
31st Aug 2003, 10:44
I agree, i have stopped buying flying magazines.Do you notice every other issue has some article on 'how to make perfect landings'.Which will go on to reveal such gems as: 'Do your down wind checks,2nd stage flaps on base,3rd stage on final,maintain steady approach speed,flare correct height,touch down on main wheels',maintain directional control.....etc'.

''next month how to make landings you pax will love''

I get the impression these articles are put together at the bar of some flying club.

Timothy
31st Aug 2003, 20:49
To be fair to the editors, they have the unenviable problem of a readership that is very diverse in its knowledge and experience.

There will be those who are just thinking about booking a trial lesson.

There will be some new bunnies who will want to know how to make a decent landing, particularly in the light of some pretty appalling stories we hear about quality of some instructions.

There will be others who have 100 - 150 hours under their belts and have flown N, S, E and W and now want to spread their wings and venture abroad. They want to know about Le Touq and customs clearance. Others in this experience range want to think about IMC or IR, aerobatics, twins, tail dragging, floats etc.

Then the 250-500 hours guys who feel ready to take a longer, more interesting trip...to the Arctic Circle, or St Petersburgh or North Africa. These people might be thinking about a CPL or ATPL.

Then there are the 1,000+ hour pilots who really want to be stimulated...read about Polly Vacher's exploits, or flying the Antarctic Survey, or maybe build their own strip or their own aircraft, or convert to turbine or rotary.

It would be impossible for any mag to satisfy all these people in every article.

There already is some differentiation between the mags (I see Flyer as being more taildragger and Pophamy, whereas Pilot is more Mooney and Bigginy, I have never looked again at Today's Pilot since the first edition was such crap), but unless we have mags for every different Niche "Today's 500-1500 hour taildragger Pilot with his own strip who is thinking of building his own" we are all going to have to compromise.

My 2p worth anyway.

W

GT
1st Sep 2003, 19:45
I feel I have to agree with the topic starter. I used to by all three of the flying mags. every month: now I rarely by one. As I flying instructor I would like to see more in-depth articles on how we might improve our flying skills, but that, of course, is only my personal opinion, biased towards what I do.

What really makes me fed up are the endless flight tests of aeroplanes that most of us won't even see, let alone get a chance to fly. What's more, the same aeroplane is often reviewed in the same month by more than one of the magazines, or at best following months.

Try having a look at the American flying mags., e.g. Flying. They're much more interesting and informative, in my opinion. Having said that I do accept that it isn't easy pleasing all of the people all of the time etc., but a little more originality wouldn't hurt. Gripe over.

Regards, GT.

Whirlybird
1st Sep 2003, 21:15
Just to give me an idea...would people like to see readable, interesting, amusing, mildly informative but not that much, articles... a bit like the stuff I write on here? (If you don't think I write interesting, readable stuff on PPRuNe I don't want to know! :) )

The reason I ask is I'm thinking of trying to get a regular column if they'll have me, on sort of this-and-that...but aviation related this-and-that of course. I have an idea for a theme; it's not quite that vague...but I'm not sure how well my particular brand of this-and-that would go down with the general readers, and I just wondered what you all thought. My own feeling is that a lot of the stuff in the mags is boring because it's not well written - and I'm conceited enough to think I could do it better, or at least liven things up a bit.

"No, go away Whirly, we don't want any more rubbish in the mags, bad enough we have to read it on PPRuNe" is an acceptable answer...and means I'll go back to writing the stuff I get paid well for.

CSX001
1st Sep 2003, 21:51
I think the problem that many are identifying is a reasonable writing style, and a lack of content.

Getting the level and quality of content right is a problem given the large variations that there are in the consumer base.

Whirly, whilst you are an author with some history, do you think that you are able to write month-in-month out on the variety of subjects that would make for a regular column, whilst still packing the content in?

IMHO, there are already enough chatty articles and the mags need more substance.

Charlie.

140cherokee
1st Sep 2003, 22:23
The content of all three magazines is very 'samey' and the tutorial stuff is always VFR. With the IMC rating being so popular, why aren't there many articles on instrument flight?

In the three or four years of reading all three, I've yet to see an article on ADF tracking or flying an NDB/DME procedure! (the Thom book is hopeless in this respect too!)

gasax
1st Sep 2003, 22:57
There have already been a few topics on how similar the magazines now are following Pilot's recent changes.

I like many others above no longer regularly buy all three. I occasionally buy either Pilot or Flyer. But as they test the same aircraft, go to the same events and retread the same topics for articles it is now very easy not to buy any of them. I can look up in the loft and find the old articles - which are often very much better written, checked and technically orientated.

Now that Pilot has dumbed down to be a near exact clone of Flyer I'm left with the PFA mag and Flight Safety etc.

It does seem to be a huge shame that the technical and historic background of much current writing is so poor. I could never consider myself an authority but bindingly obvious errors now litter most articles - perhaps it's the editors havng so little background?

SimJock
2nd Sep 2003, 05:47
Apart from Flight which I get on subscription, my criteria for buying a UK flying mag would be:

1) Are there any free vouchers that will get me into a big airport cheap or encourage me to try going somewhere completely new?
(best one I had was Bristol and that was in Pilot)
2) Are there any comprehensively written 'flying round Europe' type articles
3) Are there any IMC/IR type articles/tutorials/tips

Then I'll scan for aeroplane reviews/flight tests but probably put it back on the shelf.

My fave mag is the US 'Flying', whilst littered with unuseful ads for a UK pilot, Tom Berensons insrument flying exploits in his Baron, the avionics and equipment reviews and safety articles are in my opinion of the highest quality.

This from a 100-150 hr PPL/IMC (for the survey)

Just my 2p's worth

strafer
2nd Sep 2003, 20:45
I submitted an article to two of them some time ago and didn't even receive a reply. This could have been for one of three reasons:

1) They receive so many articles, they don't have time to read them all
2) My article was pointless and/or boring
3) Each issue has the same old tosh written by their mates.

I know which one I believe (and no I'm not bitter!).

Timothy
2nd Sep 2003, 23:26
strafer

I fear that you are too bitter.

When I first thought about writing in a couple of mags, I first checked with the relevant editor that they would be interested (I was unknown to them at the time), they expressed interest, but no commitment until they saw the copy and then agreed to publish when they got it.

There is no secret, masonic ritual...you just have to write something that the editors think will make their mag better, and it is better to check with them first that they are likely to be interested.

W

strafer
3rd Sep 2003, 00:06
Fair enough Mr Collins, however:

An e-mail acknowledgement can be made automatic now we're in the 21st century. A total lack of response, even if unrequested, is not something I give to my customers.
As previously stated by another poster, the articles in all 3 mags do seem to be the same tired subjects, written by the same people (with certain exceptions - John Farley's always good). I'd be interested to know whether they are losing readers or expanding?

Still not bitter.

QNH 1013
3rd Sep 2003, 01:39
I do think, however, that a lot of inefficiency is shown. Following a telephone discussion with one of the three last year they asked me to submit a draft article for comment. I didn't even receive the courtesy of a reply, even after two follow up phone calls.

I've had plenty of articles (and more) published elsewhere, so my writing isn't that bad.

markd.greenfield
3rd Sep 2003, 08:36
Guys

You may have been unlucky.

In my (admittedly limited) interaction with the main two, they have been interested and have performed as promised.

Whirlybird
3rd Sep 2003, 17:03
To any magazine, flying or otherwise:

Always send a SAE, asking for return of your material. Then if you don't hear anything, you can phone and ask if they're thinking about it, or planning to send it back.

Sometimes they're busy, or confused, or plain incompetent. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't want your article. I phoned several months after sending my last one to Pilot; the editor wanted it, and thought he'd told me, and thought I'd been paid. I hadn't heard a thing. Eventually, after another phone call, I got paid, and the article was eventually published nearly a year after I sent it.

I've had automatic acknowledgements, and then never heard anything ever again. One thing you can do is send a stamped postcard with the rest of the material saying: Article and photos received safely on .... That way at least you know they got it.

I've had efficient and inefficient responses/dealings with both the main flying mags, and other mags too. It seems to depend on what else is going on, how busy they are, all sorts of things. But they do get a lot of stuff sent on spec, so unfortunately your precious article is only that important to you. Unless you've been commissioned or done something really unique, I suppose - I wouldn't know about that.

gasax
3rd Sep 2003, 19:59
My real bone of contention is the lack of accuracy, knowledge, checking, background that seems to be endemic in these articles.

I think it's great that people send in unsolicited articles- if only to reduce the density of stuff from 'the usual suspects' but the quality of this stuff is so poor that it beggars believe!!

Take the latest issue of Flyer (just for the sake of argument - it could actually be any of them)

The 'flight tester' (or do I mean free ride blagger?), compares the directional stability of the aircraft (a Hornet Moth) with a Sopwith Triplane!!!!! What!!!!

Then there is an article extolling the virtues of 450kg microlights, actually largely the reason I picked up the magazine. The 'technical data' boxes have a variety of data - none of it the same and some of it 'the authors estimates'. but of course none of it useful for any level of comparison.

Then to compound the idiocy it completely fails to mention that these aircraft are subject to a compulsory 5 year re-weighing requirement which for several of the types will be extremely difficult for them to meet. (At least two of the type prototypes weighed in at 1 kg under the maximum legally allowed airframe weight). Given the inevitable weight growth of aircraft, these types are likely to have real problems in the future - and this is completely ignored!!!!

What hapened to articles that actually had an element of usefulness / trustworthiness etc???

Aerobatic Flyer
3rd Sep 2003, 21:04
What hapened to articles that actually had an element of usefulness / trustworthiness etc???

There aren't a lot, particularly when it comes to "flight tests". With a few notable exceptions, these are generally written by people who have have just had a quick ride, perhaps done a landing or two, and maybe read parts of the POH.

There is almost never any meaningful criticism (which might jeopardise the chance of a jolly in the wonderplane that someone else is trying to flog), and absolutely never any discussion of ownership issues - maintenance problems, AD's, availability of spares, etc.

As for the 450kg microlight "tests", they are a bit of a joke. Pilot has someone who likes having goes in them when he goes on holiday, but sometimes he clearly gets no more than a 30 minute demonstration. There's never too much embarassing discussion about the weight issue (usually it's a comment about how it's soon going to be possible to certify it at 560kg (in America....)), or analysis of the reasons why these machines so rarely seem to be certified in the UK.

Pilotage
3rd Sep 2003, 23:08
Interesting point there - does a magazine publish the unvarnished truth and never sell any advertising or get access to an aeroplane again, or do they publish only what the salesmen want to see and let their readers down.

Similarly, look at the websites for the C42 and Jabiru, the companies decline to state the actual take-off distances, just the ground roll. So the author has estimated values - should he not do so, and instead state "not available"?

Does either the editor or writer want to get sued for pointing out that the Jabiru and CT may well be grounded after 5 years due to being overweight, yet the price is potentially bland prose.

Who knows

P

IanSeager
4th Sep 2003, 05:58
It's getting late, I'm tired and I probably shouldn't be writing this..but hey...no point in having a magazine if you can't have a bit of fun from time to time...

If a couple of you out there want to see what life on an aviation magazine is like then why not spend a day or two with the team in the (Bath) office? Drop me an email and I'll arrange something.

[email protected]

Ian

PS I'm away for most of the next two weeks, so if it isn't all arranged in that time please don't complain too much ;)

Flandan
4th Sep 2003, 19:36
The problem with aviation mags in this country is that the vast majority of the content is produced by amateur writers. I've lost count of the number of times I've started reading some article, only to lose interest by the second paragraph.

Pilot recently made some attractive changes to its appearance, but still persists in filling up space with long rambling accounts of PPL trips abroad. Quality of writing within the US magazines is far superior.

Ace Rimmer
4th Sep 2003, 20:46
Hmmmmm well writing eh? Funny game...

The fact is that due to time or other constraints of the features I write in a year and there are a lot of em (let's see Rimmer News, Rimmer American News, Rimmer European Airport News, Rimmer UK Airport News and Rimmer American Airport News). I dunno off the top of my head hmmm ok let's say...oh... eight to ten a month (which dosent sound like much but then theres news and interviews and what not)
I'm probably really truly happy with no more than four or five...a year. Which either means I'm really not very good at it or I have high standards...I'm not sure which ...but guesss what when I talk to colleagues and the wine is flowing that's pretty much what everyone says...

Here's another thing...

In defence of the GA colleagues I have the advantage of having a readership base witha a fairly uniform knowlege level - so there's no need to explain things to those that need it at the risk of hacking of those who already know it. The same cannot be said of a newstand/general public based readership and that needs to be taken into account.

and another...

Folks submitting articles....it's like this... most people think they can write - most people are wrong. Writing is a craft like any other and has skills which have to be learned. Honestly, some of stuff we get is appalling beyond belief. In fact if one of our folks produced it would be frank chat with NO biscuits time. (no matter HOW much weapons training they've had WO79 ...ya havent got yer SA80 now and I'm not scared of your exploding sandwich either).

Moving on, just because you send something in (OK it's different if it is comissioned) you are in effect touting for business in the same way that a mailshot or an insert in a magazine is after your business. You don't reply to mailshot unless they want to buy right? Why should this be any different? (actuallly I don't think the "but I worked really hard on this" arguement stands up here since the mailshot folks work really hard on their fliers too).

Finally...

I read and enjoy ther three main GA rags and there isa good stuff in all of them - of course not all of it is interesting to me but I accept that
Ref Flying yeas there is some really excellent stuff in it - in many ways It is a benchmark but I can't help thinking that it takes itself just a wee bit too seriously and as a consequence tends to be almost without humour (Ahhh Bax where are you now?)

Ah well chunter over back to writing

sean1
4th Sep 2003, 21:13
My no 1 just bought flyer.
Just leafing through it now.The Honet Moth story is excellent.
Great pics too.

Going through the 'get the landing right' story....hmmmm

strafer
4th Sep 2003, 22:07
Presumably 'those skills' would include spelling, grammer and syntax?

Pracktis wot you preache.

Ace Rimmer
4th Sep 2003, 22:27
Strafer:
Yawn...that's wot subs are for...

...as I say back to real writing

mad_jock
4th Sep 2003, 22:52
Apart from when i am really bored at the flying school I don't read them. Much prefer a new Scientist.

Reason:

I am the worlds worst spotter. if i haven't flown it I don't have a clue what the type is or what it does. Apart from making educated guess as to if it is going to be slower or faster than me and what the wake turb is going to be like.

During bad wx I sat down and read 1985 through to 1990. All the articles today just seem to be reruns of the articles in those 5 years. GPS have a few more buttons to push. John Farley is a bit more weathered but at least produces original interesting articles.

Readership is always going to be cyclic with people dropping off as the topics get recycled

So now I read John Farleys words of wisdom and see if the free landing vouchers are worth using and thats it.

MJ

Obs cop
4th Sep 2003, 23:19
I can't remeber which magazine it was a few months ago had a statement on the front cover along the lines of "Financing your Training". I was in a rush and just grabbed the magazine off the shelves, paid and ran for my train.

I was very disappointed to find the title referred to one letter on the letters page where the response had been about where to get a career development loan.

I found that most disappointing as the header on the cover implied that there would be an article, or at least some useful information to utilise/resaerch. My cynical side wonders how many magazine were sold on the basis of this header as wannabe's continually search for the answers to their problems. I shouldn't need to flick through a magazine to see if the heading relates to an article or just a few words of an answer to a letter.

Rant over

Obs cop

No. 2
5th Sep 2003, 00:04
Obs cop, I know exactly what you mean!

On a similar note, one of the mags is advertising that in next month's issue there will be an article on becoming a professional pilot. Finally - all will be revealed;)

Edit: Obs cop, now I come to think of it, I know the one you're talking about and if I remember rightly, I too was intigued by the headline only to be disappointed. :(

dublinpilot
5th Sep 2003, 04:42
Obs Cop & No 2,

This is exactly what I was refering to in my opening post.

dp

Troy Tempest
6th Sep 2003, 02:48
The problem seems to be that there is a limited amount of (recycled) information available for articles - or is there?

I first got into writing by thinking exactly the same - all the existing articles are boring and I could do better. So I wrote a few and they were all rejected - however I came up with an idea that was slightly different to the norm, it was accepted and I've had a few different articles printed since. It also pays to see what's topical at the moment.

I agree with some of you in that a lot of writing can be bad and editors can't get through all the stuff they're sent - however if you can come up with an original idea, speak to the editor first and they can give you help and advice.

A good original idea and you should be laughing and helping improve the mags!

ratsarrse
6th Sep 2003, 05:33
I subscribe to both Pilot and Flyer and enjoy both. If I had any real complaints, then I would no longer be a subscriber. I think that's the key point here. If you don't like what a magazine has to offer, or feel that it is misleading you in some way, then don't buy it.

Leaving aside stating the bleedin' obvious, I do have one minor gripe. There isn't enough opinion, or enough writers who are opinionated. I suspect that it amounts to the same thing. A bit of controversy; a smidgen of confrontation; a soupcon of provocation; something that stimulates lively debate - these things give a magazine more of a pulse. Imagine how dull PPRunE would be if every thread discussed what a lovely day it is and just how great aeroplanes are. More establishment-bashing would suit me just fine.

tonyhalsall
6th Sep 2003, 06:30
The PFA and BMAA bi monthly magazines are available to members of those organisations and BOTH are a very good read - techie stuff, real life stories, affordable classifieds.
Great stuff

Final 3 Greens
6th Sep 2003, 13:29
I find it interesting that our UK magazines are called Pilot, Flyer and Todays Pilot. For me that suggests lifestyle magazines e.g. Woman, Elle etc (the implication of the title, not content that is.)

The one I read is from the US and is called Flying. That to me suggests an activity based title - ie read this and learn about aviating.

I've no beef with IanS or any other of the publishers since they obviously understand the formula that works for their titles, but the UK mags just don't do it for me, so I don't buy them anymore.

strafer
26th Sep 2003, 19:22
I take back everything I said!

Following my earlier posts, I had an e-mail from the editor of Flyer apologising for not replying and offering to re-read my article. He then followed that with an intelligent, thoughtful and extremely helpful critique offering suggestions for revision and an informative Editor's perspective.

So the moral of the story is, Nick Wall is a top bloke and Flyer makes the other GA mags look like TV Quick.

PS The latest issue is on the shelves now and it's a corker. Available from all good newsagents and even some bad ones.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Sep 2003, 20:34
PS The latest issue is on the shelves now and it's a corker. Available from all good newsagents and even some bad ones.

Well, my subcription copy of Flyer hasn't arrived yet...... I thought subscriber's were supposed to get theirs before it appears in the shops?

There isn't enough opinion, or enough writers who are opinionated. I suspect that it amounts to the same thing. A bit of controversy; a smidgen of confrontation; a soupcon of provocation; something that stimulates lively debate - these things give a magazine more of a pulse.

This seems to be typical of the PC times we live in, especially where mags are owned by mega publishing corporations. When James Gilbert owned and published 'Pilot', he was his own boss and held strong opinions - which often came through in the mag. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it sure was mine.

SSD

IanSeager
26th Sep 2003, 20:49
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Despite the amount of pies I eat I don't think I could be called a 'Mega corporation' (yet) :-)

We found out this morning that the printers screwed up big time with the subs copies. To cut a long story short they weren't despatched as they should have been on Tuesday.

They are, as we speak (Friday lunchtime), being sealed and posted (1st class) by a bunch of red faced, sore ar*ed people in Kent.

Big apologies from Seager Towers, home of the mega pie, but not mega corporation :-)

Ian

mad_jock
26th Sep 2003, 21:04
red faced, sore ar*ed people in Kent

I was led to believe that most people living in Kent have this problem.

:p

MJ

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Sep 2003, 21:21
Ian - 'number' of pies, not 'amount' of pies. You'd better get one of the many editorial staff from Seager Towers to sub your posts ;~)

So, if you actually do enjoy the freedom in print that used to be exercised by James, that's an advantage to you that is no longer available to 'Pilot'. Or have those non-PC days gone?

SSD

Chimbu chuckles
26th Sep 2003, 21:24
hmmm...years ago (25+) I would inhale every word of every flying mag I could lay my hands on...as the years role on, and the hours of hard won experience pile up I find I don't read any of them regularly...most not at all.

Articles are, imo, usually very 'light on' in most respects. Soft subjects covered in a way that suggests the writer really doesn't have THAT much direct experience. Flight reports on specific aircraft are almost not worth reading because you can just tell that they are mostly free advertising.

Then you read someone like Farley and his ilk and they are rivetting...because the depth of knowledge/experience is obvious.

John Deakins articles, on Avweb, are similarly rivetting because he's expert and he calls a spade a f**king spade.

Basically, and not unlike Pprune in some respects, if you took every flying mag for the last five years and read them back to back you'd discover there's about 14 topics that get rerun every year. Every Autumn the cold weather articles and every spring the TS/windshear articles in US Flying for instance.

Chuck.

gasax
26th Sep 2003, 23:08
Pilotage did send me a pm stating some of the difficulties he had in compiling the 450 kg microlight article I referred to which was nice of him. He stressed the fear of companies taking legal action several times - as he has in this thread.

My response is what a load of boll**ks!

Legal action only works when what is written is defamatory or intended to damage. If it is factually correct then any legal action can be laughed at.

I suspect it is much much more about advertising. Disgrunted manufacturer does not advertise latest wonderplane which in 5 years time is no longer a microlight in magazine that highlights this fact? I doubt that individually it could have much effect, but given that so many of these machines are so limited the cumulative effect could be quite large. It is the editorial fear of cutting a revenue line that I suspect largely determines the near total lack of criticism of anything produced by people who sell things. Which was something Pilot certainly was not scared of in the past.

Then of course there are the 'flight tests' where having praised the flying properties of this excellent machine, coincidence, coincidence it is for sale..........

mad_jock
26th Sep 2003, 23:27
Didn't topgear go down this route.

Although they dodn't have advertising to worry about.

They seem to slate quite a few cars and have no problems.

MJ

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Sep 2003, 00:00
I think Clarkson did it before he was famous. It was when he worked for a car mag (Autocar?? don't really know which one) and got pis*ed off by the circus where you write a rave review of (say) Ford's latest, and in return they advertise in your mag and invite the journos to exotic locations for 'test sessions'.

Clarkson broke the mould and wrote the truth about some abominable car or other. The advertising still came in, and JC still got his invites to places nice.

SSD