PDA

View Full Version : Classroom or distance learning?

FToast
29th Aug 2003, 23:05
Hi,

Please answer according to your personal opinion and/or past experience. The most answers giving me the best idea!
I am planning on converting my FAA ATP to a JAA ATP. for the 14 exams required, would you use:
- Distance learning (Bristol),
or:
- Classroom type groundschool (any other school)?

Once again even the simplest answer will give me an indication, the more of them the better, your PERSONAL opinion please!

Thanks in advance!

FlyingForFun
29th Aug 2003, 23:51
Please don't base your decision on whichever one gets the most votes here. There are many reasons why anyone chooses one over the other, and some, or even most, of those reasons might not apply to you.

Generally, I would always suggest classroom unless either you can't afford the money, or you can't afford the time. However, I know there are a (very small) number of people who feel they can learn better by studying at home, who would prefer distance learning.

I opted for distance learning because I didn't have the time for a full-time course. I have no regrets, but it was very hard work.

You seem to have settled on Bristol for distance learning. Can I ask why? They are, IMHO, the best all-round school for distance learning. (I used them, and they got me 14/14 first-time passes with a 90%+ average, so they can't be too bad!) That doesn't mean they'll suit everyone, though, and I was just curious as to why you thought they'd suit you since you haven't given any clues!

FFF
----------------

FToast
30th Aug 2003, 18:51
Hi FFF,

Thanks for your constructive and detailed reply.
There is my case:

- I can afford a full-time course,
- I am not working, time is not an object (except that I need to get my conversion done as quickly as I can to get working again!),
- I tend to study better on my own but not knowing what to expect on the difficulty level of the notes and exams, I'm a bit in the blur. I've been through "Performance A" notes, would that be a good indication in that matter?

I mentionned Bristol purely on all the good I have been hearing of them in the past and what I have been reading about them here on PPrune. I also got the idea that their notes are very well detailed and can in some ways be more beneficial than an average full-time course.(?)

Thanks again.

redsnail
30th Aug 2003, 19:58
I did the study full time because I thought I could afford it and also I could concentrate on study and not worry about any thing else. I wanted the discipline of full time study.
(I was converting an Australian ATPL to a JAR one)

Delta Wun-Wun
30th Aug 2003, 23:14
How a person studies is a personal issue. I would have loved to have studied full time, but as I need to keep working that was not an option. I therefore went down the Distance learning route. I chose Bristol. I found them superb value for money and very professional.
You could always do Distance Learning full time from home, that way it would not take as long. Be aware there is a vast amount to learn. Some not that difficult ......just so bloody much of it.:uhoh:

juba
30th Aug 2003, 23:29
Ftoast, AKA Mr F.M.B

Seems like you have got some good info on this subject - why dont you also look into 'Oxford Air training' - they have just opened a school in the US so you get all that sunshine while you study! I believe they are all UK instructors and oxford is well recognised in Europe.

Well Mr Ftoast hope it all goes well - good luck whatever you choose. Long live the first world!
Juba

FToast
1st Sep 2003, 17:56
Thanks guys for your replies.
As for you Mr Juba A.K.A/47 JBS, do I sense a hint of sarcasm coming from the sunshine State as we are starting to feel the first signs of balticness around here...
rog.

FToast
1st Sep 2003, 22:19
Hi,

After having done some good thinking I'm opting for a full-time course, safer I suppose.
Another question though: which school?
Purely as an indication, who seems to have a good reputation for good "value for money" in the UK? Does anyone have any good/bad experiences to share? How about EPTA in Bournemouth (they have an amazing special on their course at the moment)?

juba
2nd Sep 2003, 02:33
Ftoast

Mr F.M.B - not just a hint of sarcasim, a truck load of it - pissing with rain here - maybe a hurricane on the way so you might have the last laugh!
If you dont want to do JAR you can always consider getting a 3D or 9XR ATP - I have herd from 'reliable' sources (Mr.J.R) that this will work sweetly in Europe!!!

There is always some work at A1 - nice accom, friendly locals, aircon, all you need!
Enjoy the island!
rog

FToast
3rd Sep 2003, 20:39
JAR training in A1: GoatBoy MD, StickBoy Chief instructor...
Junior, hands on his hips, cool grin on, crapping on everyone... WOOHOO!!!!

Arrowhead
5th Sep 2003, 16:07
I am in your shoes, only 4 months further down the road.

I went Bristol distance learning because
(a) Its cheaper
(b) Its a more effective way to learn for me but only because I study well on my own (you will require *massive* self discipline). Furthermore full time courses mean you travel at a speed consistent with the slowest person in the class.
(c) Bristol are very very good - I got over 90% average in Module 1 with 8/8 passes - Module 2 on the way.

The only downside is that Oxford only push students from their integrated course. But I think CTC do send their students to Bristol. I believe these are the 2 best places to guarantee a job afterwards - if you meet the age requirements (<27) and pass the interview.

After 4 months I am no more enlightened where to finish my flying training.... the Oxford brand, or the Bristol skill/people/cost?

timzsta
8th Sep 2003, 03:38
I am distance learning with London Guildhall. I passes 8/8 in feb, plan to sit the rest in Nov/Dec.

If you have the time and money, which it appears you do, then go for a full time classroom course - if only because it gets it over with quicker.

After a year of DL I can tell you it is bloody hard work. You are both teacher and pupil and that can be very difficult at times. There is a hell of a lot to learn and the last few months have been a real slog and I am tired of the course to be honest - I just want it to end. Have only 1 and a bit subjects to study then revision and exams.

The advantages of DL are however you can study when you want and feel right too. We all have days when the mind isnt there are we just cant be bothered. When I have those I dont study - that is not an option on a full time course. Any instructor said to me on the revision week in Jan that sometimes DL students do better then those on the full time course, because of the above and they can be better motivated.

In your case however, GO TO THE CLASSROOM!! I had the chance, didn't take it, and now wish I had.

Good luck, PM if you want further thoughts.

FToast
19th May 2004, 13:59
Hi all,

I can now bring closure to this thread as I have gone through the ATPL theory within the 6 months time frame I had planned on. I went for the classroom option with BCFT in Bournemouth and am glad I did it that way, all exams straight passes. For those of you thinking of doing your ATPL exams, I can safely recommend BCFT: good atmosphere, good instructors, very good value for money. Best of luck!