PDA

View Full Version : Testing an EPIRB

down&out
29th Aug 2003, 00:57
After reading a number of accident reports I decided to buy an EPIRB last year. I have also more recently read of an incident where someone in the sea activated theirs, the light came on, but unknown to them, the beacon did not work.

So I would like to test mine. It is a 121.5 one and I know in the US and France you can do a brief (< 5 second test) during the first 5 minutes of any hour. I am not sure if this is possible in the UK - can anyone tell me & point me to the Radiocommunications Agency/ CAA (or other) guidance on this?

QDMQDMQDM
29th Aug 2003, 17:55
My McMurdo Fastfind Plus comes with testing instructions broadly along the lines you mention. I'd suggest contacting the EPIRB registry in Falmouth for more guidance:

http://www.radio.gov.uk/publication/ra_info/ra258.htm

Vedeneyev
31st Aug 2003, 00:40
You won't have any problems testing it after 2009 (Cospas-Sarsat) (http://www.cospas-sarsat.org/Index_Frame_English.html) . This little advertised fact means 121.5 (and 243) are becoming obsolete and since Oct 2000 you're recommended to get 406MHz ELT's. Beware cheap 121.5 ELT's offered for sale!

down&out
31st Aug 2003, 07:41
Ved

Yeh I know about the satellite being turned off, but its not really much of a satellite - it can take up to 90mins to pick you up. 121.5 really comes in for homing by SAR, which I understand they are keeping. In most cases I would exepect to be able to get a Maday call out b4 (or after on the handheld) and I assume airliners & others will contiinue listen out on 121.5 as we're not changing our other radios.

So given 406 units can be 4-5 times price of 121.5 and if money is an object, and like mine its for personal use and not a specific a/c, then I'd still recommend getting one at the moment. And if you can get one cheap then even better! - I think it will have a life well beyond 5 years.

QDM

I guess I'll have to call up the EPIRB guys - thanks for the input