PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Florida

mattd2k
29th Aug 2003, 00:36
Hi Everybody,

I know this subject has been done to death over recent years and I have already read most of the previous posts on this forum but I am interested on getting some more recent information.

I am looking to move to Florida to gain my ATPL(f) and am considering either EFT or NAC. Can anyone who has attended either of these give me some further information about the schools? Good or bad (I am intrigued to know what the PM's contained on previous posts, so feel free to PM if you don't want to go public). On reflextion they both seem very good so it's a difficult decision to make.

I would also appreciate any info on the towns of Fort Pierce, Naples and their surrounding areas as I will be moving over with my wife and 3 year old daughter, so this could be a deciding factor.

Any help will be greatfully received.

md2k:ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
29th Aug 2003, 17:34
Matt,

I have been to NAC and was very happy with the service that was provided, hence why I will return this year. I don't know anything about EFT, only that I did spend some time in Fort Pierce a couple of years ago, and there seemed to be very little there, mind you I did not really get a chance to explore as I was mainly at the airfield. If you can afford it, it may be worth going over there for a few days and get a taster, it is nice to have the experience of the place you are going to reside for the duration of your training, and is better than going blind.

Naples in a nice town, it has some nice beaches, look great from the air anyway :). I particularly liked Naples airport, nice surroundings and plenty going on. As far as shops go, I seem to recall going to a large shopping centre, can't remember its exact location, but nearby. Plenty of resturants and bars, if you fancy a cold beer and some food.

It might be worth doing a search on EFT and NAC as like you said, this topic has been discussed on many occasions.

Good Luck

p.savage
29th Aug 2003, 20:04
Hi Matt,

I don't yet have experience of EFT Fort Pierce, but look at their web site www.flyeft.com & www.europeanflighttraining.com and you will see why I am choosing them!

I will be attending their Airline Pilot Program (0 to 1500hrs) in about two months. I will be renting in Fort Pierce, not using EFT's student accommodation. 1 Bed, 1 Bath apartments in Fort Pierce aren't easy to find, so you can imagine that I'm pretty stressed. They don't come that cheap, in comparison to other Florida Cities, $680 p/m. (excluding rates and utilities).

I have hear that Fort Pierce is a quiet place, and there isn't that much to do, but you have everything there, shopping, schools, wal mart, hospitals and of course EFT! :O Plus, Mrs Mattd2k and your daughter will fall in love with the beaches. (Can't wait to experience them!) :cool:

I have considered Naples on many occassions, but I feel that they just don't offer what I'm looking for.

I suggest a quick phone call to EFT, +44 (870) 1-999-777, they're a great bunch, always ready to help. Don't forget to check out their web site, if you already haven't.

Question, when do you think you will be attending EFT?

Cheers, if you have any more questions. Just ask.

Paul Savage

LD Max
1st Sep 2003, 08:48
I would IMPLORE anyone thinking of doing an ATPL in the USA to reconsider. :oh:

The FTOs out there are nowhere near the same standards as in the UK when it comes to the groundschool. :sad:

Why?....

Lack of properly qualified GS instructors, poor notes - some just rehashes of others' work - not in line with JAA key learning objectives or regularly revised in the light of current feedback, None-Existent / third or fourth hand or out of date feedback, problems with CAA / JAA approvals, even a lack of a local test centre within reasonable distance of most FTOs.

I point no fingers at any one outfit, and accuse no-one from suffering from ALL these limitations, but these problems are pervasive to one degree or another throughout the US JAA approved FTOs at present. I am, however, convinced that many students choosing to do their JAA ATPLs in the US at present will come to regret the decision.

Consider the costs of staying out there plus the travel, plus any social life will offset any financial benefit the US may have had to offer in the first place. The ATPLs are NOT where you can make huge financial savings, but they ARE about the hardest and most crucial part of your training. Why not do it in the UK with one of the world's most reputable and established organisations?

The most expensive part is the FLYING, and I would recommend anyone to go to any of the US based FTOs for any savings they can make there.