PDA

View Full Version : Any time limit on distance learning?

Pilot16
28th Aug 2003, 19:29
Hi,

This is probably a mundane question to a lot of people, a short answer will do...

I am thinking about buying Module 1 ATPL from Bristol...I will be fitting in ATPL study amongst other things...

Can I take AS LONG as i need to study for it (say a year maybe, due to other priorities) before applying for the revision course and exams??

I understand that this is exactly what distance learning means, but could there be some sort of a time limit? :ugh:

P16

No. 2
28th Aug 2003, 19:45
Pilot16,

Sounds similar to my situation! As far as I'm aware you can take as long as you like over the first module. It's not until you take your first exam that the clock starts ticking. From that moment on, you have 18 months to complete the remaining exams. Once you've finished the last exam the clock re-starts and they're valid for upto 3 years.

No. 2

Pilot16
28th Aug 2003, 19:59
Thanks for your reply No. 2 :O

Megaton
28th Aug 2003, 20:09
You can take as long as you like but the problem with that approach is retaining the information. By the time you get to the end of a module you will have forgotten much from the beginning. My second module dragged out longer than I intended and it really doesn't help. What it means is that by the time you sit the exams it may be up to 12-14 months from when you studied the subject in depth - :eek:

FlyingForFun
28th Aug 2003, 20:41
As well as the problem Ham talks about, the other thing to consider is whether the notes will still be up-to-date when you come to do the exams. The syllabus changes from time to time, and notes are updated to reflect this, as well as to reflect the latest feedback - not to mention general improvements to the format.

Why not drop Alex a mail and see what he suggests?

FFF
--------------

TurboJ
28th Aug 2003, 22:14
I found it important to set yourself a deadline. i.e. my next lot of exams will be on day, date otherwise you can end up drifting along thinking you aren't quite ready to sit the exams and time and deadlines have crept up on you.

Give yourself plenty of time for the first lot and then you have plenty of time to sort out any mishaps and the final module.

Pilot16
29th Aug 2003, 03:51
Hi, thanks a lot for your highly useful replies...
I guess this is an important thing to consider if I take longer to sit my exams...

surely as Turbo J has suggested, If i set a deadline, even if it is a year away, I can make a mental plan on how long i will take on each subject, I can be constanly revising to keep things fresh, and mke the whole thing work?

Where theres a will, theres a way ;)

FlyingForFun
29th Aug 2003, 17:30
Re deadlines:

For module 1, I didn't really have any deadline, just a rough idea of doing the exams "some time around the middle of the year". I made sure I did one or two, sometimes three, frames per week, unless I had a particularly busy week in which case I wasn't too bothered. Total time taken: 6 months.

Module 2, I had a definite deadline. I needed to do the exams by February, possibly March, otherwise I'd loose some of my holiday time from work and would effectively get a whole year behind in my fATPL plans. I worked out how many frames per week I needed to do, and made sure that I was consistently ahead of that. Total time taken: 6 months.

So it didn't make a huge amount of difference in the end!

Of course that's just me - everyone works in a different way, and if you need to work to a plan, then go for it!

FFF
--------------