PDA

View Full Version : Instructing jobs

mfreeman
27th Aug 2003, 21:08
I have seen many posts commenting on the pros and cons of instructing to build hours and experience. All these seem to take for granted that after obtaining an instructors rating you will automatically find a job as a instructor. I know the pay could be better but is really as easy as some people make it out to be to find a job after getting the FI rating?

topper2
27th Aug 2003, 21:48
Not really at the moment

The general impression I get is that there are so many people wanting to go down that path that the industry seems to be saturated with wanabe instructors. As the airlines begin to recruit more people, we should see more vacancies appearing, as the more experienced instructors apply for their long awaited f/o positions.
I do think however that it is very much a question of where u are and who u know. some people might walk straight into ajob, whereas others who are not so lucky may end up waiting for months!

Hulk
27th Aug 2003, 22:12
go head for a FI.
I have taught for years, and lot of opportunities will open to you later.airline like to hire FI , FI have a good communication skill, and much more.

Shanks
28th Aug 2003, 04:25
I think you've proved your point Hulk....

ecj
28th Aug 2003, 15:40
From the airlines point of view, as an employed FI, you are in current practice, and hopefully also teaching the IMC rating or IR.

You will quickly go "off the boil" having completed your training unless you keep flying.

The FI route can be a very useful in improving your skills and developing airmanship.

You are also accumulating hours to unfreeze that ATPL.

Completing the CPL/IR training, and then virtually stopping flying, apart from the yearly IR renewal, is not an option.
You will more than likely be assessed as a training risk if you have not flown in the last six months or so.

Why take that risk when you are invited for that all important interview. Bottom line - keep current.

Dutchman
28th Aug 2003, 17:35
You are also accumulating hours to unfreeze that ATPL.

How so? If to get your totals up ok, but thought you still needed 500 hours MPA. Or can you count instructing towards the 500 hours MPA.

expedite_climb
28th Aug 2003, 17:52
Dutchman,

Wait around with still just 200hrs.
Get a job with airline and fly say 500hrs p.a. - 2 1/2 yrs to atpl.

Instruct while waiting for airline job, you may need to do only one year in the airline to get an atpl.

Hours are hours. Airlines often quote x thousand hours for command. Again, even SEP hours count.

Dutchman
28th Aug 2003, 18:46
Please don't jump to conclusions. Never said I had 200 h and was waiting around jobless. Just wandering if only instructing would be enough to get an (f)ATPL unfrozen. As I mentioned I know that instructing is a good way of getting your total hours up but was unclear about the MPA part of ATPL requirements.

ecj
28th Aug 2003, 19:26
Dutchman

The MPA requirement would be gained in the right hand seat of an aircraft requiring two crew - not FTO instruction.

The MCC course prepares you for the MPA role.