PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong, the PRC and politics

kazumichik
26th Aug 2003, 11:04
Perhaps I am the only fool on these boards still naively gripping the shattered remains of his youthful idealism but here goes:

What are the chances that as a CX employee I would be affected by the political frictions between Hong Kong and Beijing? Am I going to have jack-booted commie goons knocking at my door in the wee hours to ask me how I feel about Falun Gong? Okay, perhaps that is an exageration but surely now that the Butchers of Tiananmen are running the place I would be expected as a good company man to keep my mouth shut concerning things like Taiwan, Tibet and human rights.

Any thoughts?

404 Titan
26th Aug 2003, 11:34
kazumichik

My simple advise to you is that if you don’t get involved, you won’t be effected. With regard to your comment about the friction between Hong Kong and Beijing, there isn’t any that I can see. There is friction between the people of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong SAR government. As a whole I think the Central Government in Beijing has remained very hands off given what has happened in the last two months here in Hong Kong.

:)

VR-HFX
26th Aug 2003, 14:17
If you were to making your views on Tibet, Taiwan and Tianamen heard over the PA or started handing out Falun Gong paraphenalia at the boarding gate, I am sure that the Immigration Department would cancel your visa even before the management terminated you.... and well before the Blackhawks from Sek Kong appeared overhead Discovery Bay.

But this would, I fear, be no different an outcome to a non-citizen standing in Time Square espousing a non-party line on the Iraq 'intervention' or a Muslim trying to get a visa for flying lessons in the Land of the Free.

Hong Xing
26th Aug 2003, 15:14
kazumichik:

What absolute rubbish, you have not so much asked a question as you have sprouted a lot of ill-informed trash (American speak) . I am surprised you did not add the word gullible ahead of your words fool and naivety. Our late Chairman Mao Tze Tung said , quote: If you are not close to the problem and you do not have the facts then you ae not permitted to speak " unquote.
Try and take in that word ' NOT ' which Chairman Mao used three times in voicing this most sensible piece of advice.

Hong Xing

P.S. Oh, to have only been permitted to respond to this in Chinese. With the greatest of ease I could have burnt a hole in the screen.

jtr
26th Aug 2003, 17:00
Ahh yes Hong, spoken like a true Comrade. Makes me proud.

That Chairman Mao, he sure was a laugh a minute wasn't he? And look at all the great things he did! Luckily he kept his ego in check with respect to his greatness
"We must never adopt an arrogant attitude of great-power chauvinism and become conceited because of the victory of our revolution..."

Kaz, in future, next time you consider asking a question, even with the disclaimer of youthful idealism, naivety etc remember those immortal words of the great one..

"If you have an opinion different to ours, we are going to run you down in a tank":confused:

Sorry wrong quote...

"If you are not close to the problem and you do not have the facts then you are not permitted to speak"

Is it just me, or has Hong only appeared since Reggy Ip has had a lot of time on her hands?
http://www.hkloiterer.net/images/MrsReginaIp.jpg

Luckily for you Kazumichik, I am not allowed to post in chinese, otherwise I'd be whipping up a storm of special fried rice on you arse cracker! ‚΂©

HotDog
26th Aug 2003, 17:05
Hong Xing, is your formal attire a Mao suit? I guess the Cultural Revolution also meets with your approval?:rolleyes:

ronnie123
27th Aug 2003, 11:09
Our late Chairman Mao Tze Tung said , quote: If you are not close to the problem and you do not have the facts then you ae not permitted to speak " unquote.
And this is your right to speak your mind in free Hong Kong.

"OUR LATE CHAIRMAN" - SPEAK FOR YOUR SELF HONG !:}

And oh yes poor ole' Reggy Ip, got so tired of trying shut every one up. She moved to SFO so she can live in the land of the free. And spend HK$ on some more LV and Prada bags.....

kazumichik
28th Aug 2003, 13:59
Hong Xing, you really are good for a chuckle. But a question occurs. Over 4000 years of history and the best you can come up with for a hero to quote is a bloodthirsty megalomaniac? 4000 years worth of wise statesmen, bold generals, world-renowned scientists, brilliant artists, gifted writers, perceptive spiritual leaders and brave dissidents to choose from and you select a syphlitic paedophile who plunged China into an attempt at cultural suicide for the sole purpose of maintaining his illegitimate grasp on power.

Judging by your tone I would guess that you have adopted whole-heartedly Mao's racism, intolerance and pretension to speak for the world's hundreds of millions of Chinese.

404 Titan and VR-HFX. Thanks for your input. Sounds like the order of the day when it comes to personal political opinions is a version of "Don't ask; don't tell.".

Flap 5
1st Sep 2003, 03:42
It has always been the case with most of the Cantonese that they have kepy quiet about mainland Chinese politics or have only spoken well of it. Well now they must reap what they have sown.