PDA

View Full Version : IR Training

TurboJ
25th Aug 2003, 18:40
Can anyone assist with how an IR is taught with respect to the weather.

Does it have to be simulated IFR in VMC or can it be IMC down to decision height for landing ?

Would trying to complete an IR in January not pose any problems with respect to the weather apart from minima for landing/taking off ?

Cheers TJ

ecj
25th Aug 2003, 19:43
Your FTO will use ac which have been approved by CAAFU for training & testing. Screens will be used in the IF phase no matter what the conditions. With a Siberian high in January, it can be a wonderful time of year to fly.

As part of the FTO approval, the Ops manual will specify weather minima for its operation.

parris50
25th Aug 2003, 22:23
Started my MEP and IR in January. Yes, you will have the screens up for the IR whatever the weather although when you are in IMC, your instructor might take the screens down so you can see what it's like going in and out of cloud.

The screens are put up before take off with the exception of the one that lets you see down the runway. At about 300' that screen will go up and will stay there until DA/MDA for your landing.

Despite training in Winter, I didn't have any weather cancellations but there was always the simulator available as a back up if needed.

cfb
25th Aug 2003, 22:25
Generally, there should be no restrictions on IR training year round.

However, do remember 3 points:

> Is the aircraft your FTO uses de/anti iced ? Even though the vis might be fine, if your aircraft is not so equipped, you might have to remain on the ground.

> Does your base airfield have published approaches, with reasonable minimums ? Not being able to get back in can be rather expensive if you have to stop over at a larger airfiled.

> Does your base airfield have more than 1 runway which will keep you within your crosswind limits - Winds as well as vis can be a limiting factor.

ecj
26th Aug 2003, 02:17
Notwithstanding the additional valid comments of cfb, I would question the wisdom of any FTO which would permit an instructor's actions resulting in potential additional costs for any customer due to their FI's inability to understand METARS / TAFS.

Any reasonable FTO would regard the cost of any such nitestop as wholly down to them, and meet the additional expenditure incurred.

IR training is expensive enough, without less then capable staff being able to exercise appropriate professional judgement as to when to fly for the benefit of the student.

VIRTUAL-REALITY
27th Aug 2003, 13:21
Whilst on the subject of IR's can any one recomend a good school to do the course. I have several in mind but would like to know of any others that you guys have trained with!!
Thanks for any help