PDA

View Full Version : A330 Question

Kestrel_909
25th Aug 2003, 07:41
Hello all,
Question about the A330, relating to this photo.
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/364426/L/
Bottom right of the picture, just to the right of the lower ECAM there is another smaller CDU like display. Anyone like to explain what this is?
My first thoughts are that it is to do with the datalink system in use over the Pacific, that I saw being talked about on TV not so long ago with an Air New Zealand 744, and the captain talking through sending messages to the controller. But this was all done via the FMC. Just a thought be be interested to know.

Many thanks

mb339
25th Aug 2003, 07:50
Those displays has to do with the FANS (Future Air Navigation System), but currently I think no planes are using that system.

jungly
25th Aug 2003, 08:58
Yes, this is CPDLC (part of FANS II)
I think it stands for Controller Pilot Data Link Comunications. In very simply terms its ATC via email/SMS.

Basically you activate it through ACARS by tuning into a ATC facility with CPDLC ability. From then on all "radio calls" are made through this facility via the CDU in the picture and ACARS. ie: No voice communications

It will even prepare radio calls for you and all you have to do is push "Send". Simlilarly ATC will message you asking when you can climb etc.

It is currently used in Australian/NZ FIRs, Trans Pacific and in the Oakland FIR and in the Indina Ocean. It is being trialed and established through Russian/Mongolian FIRs.

It maybe used in other areas but im not aware of them.

In the picture you will see it says "No Active ATC"

Kestrel_909
26th Aug 2003, 20:43
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I have also saw some other pictures in a QF A330 cockpit, and there is another one on the left hand side, correct?

Also, an Airbus question in general which has probably been asked before many times. My understanding is that unlike Boeings and other a/c, the Airbus throttles only move in 'gates' as they are called, eg from Idle to Climb, to Flex or TOGA. So, this leaves me wondering, how do you taxi? Ok, I know that after you start moving idle taxi usually, but what about starting to move?
Can you push the throttles foreward a little like the Boeings for taxi?

Can expect a lot more Airbus questions from me:D An A330 home build sim is in the making with proper pannels, all to do with a yearly charity event. I'll try not to block the forums with stupid questions everyday.:E

Cheers!

longarm
27th Aug 2003, 17:23
Airbus throttles move just like all other throttles. There are "detents" or gates at Climb, Flex/Max continuous thrust.

Hot Rod
31st Aug 2003, 01:57
When you fly manual throttles (or taxi) they act like any other airplane. When you use autothrottle they donīt move (stupid system...).

foxmoth
31st Aug 2003, 03:18
not really stupid, you don't actually USE the levers anyway in other aircraft when in Autothrottle, though it does take a while to get used to the themnot moving in auto. (took me about a year).;)

Maxrev
31st Aug 2003, 03:25
It's different, not stupid, tis true. You get your cue for what the engines are doing from the panel as opposed to glancing at the throttles...

Either way, I like having lunch without a big control wheel in the way!

Hot Rod
31st Aug 2003, 23:31
My opinion is that it is stupid.
When you do an autothrottle landing in a normal airplane you can just lay your hand on the throttles to feel what the airplane is doing.
In an Airbus you have to look at the engine instruments to see what the airplane is doing with the power.
Airbus has taken away an easy way for the pilot to "feel" the power. And for what reason...???
Someone told me that moving throttles is an option on Airbus, any thruth in that?
...and I hate having lunch with a big control wheel in the way...

BAe 146-100
1st Sep 2003, 00:07
Hi,

Is it possible to do a manual thrust approach in Airbus aircraft?

http://aero-planos.planetaclix.pt/images/cockpit_airbus_284x212.jpg

BAe 146-100

NigelOnDraft
1st Sep 2003, 00:31
<<Is it possible to do a manual thrust approach in Airbus aircraft?>>
Absolutely.. you can even fly it manually too! And FDs turn off...

And unlike the B757/767, the damn A/T does not keep reengaging if the FD is used in certain modes (FLCH)...

Contrary to popular opinion, if you move the TLs forward, the engines get louder, and when you pull them back, they get quieter....

The quirk is getting into Manual Thrust. Just disengaging the ATHR tends to make ones eyes water, since the engines run up to Climb Power! Need to retard TLs to match current power (easiest at ldle, and this also disengages the ATHR) first...

Hotrod
<<When you do an autothrottle landing in a normal airplane you can just lay your hand on the throttles to feel what the airplane is doing.>>
I'm glad you judge the engines performance by where the throttles are! I was always told to watch the gauges... Do you tell if the aircraft is climbing by the control wheel coming back? And check the gear is down by seeing of the lever is down? And on your wonderful aeroplane, if an engine fails, does the corresponding throttle move back as well to let you know??

All in the best humour of course... I think you'll find that the many Airbuses (Airbii?) and their crews worldwide can cope quite happily. And given the choice, its a table for me, rather than moving throttles, anyday....

NoD

BAe 146-100
1st Sep 2003, 04:20
Hi,

Thanks for your answer NigelOnDraft.

BAe 146-100