PDA

View Full Version : St Africa training

Kevin Farrell
25th Aug 2003, 02:02
Greetings Folks,

This is my first time to post on the site so please let me know if I am in the wrong place. Anyway I was`wondering if anyone knows anything about training in Sth Africa. I have contacted a school over there, but to be honest the prices seem to be too cheap!!! It's approx €30,000 for an ATPL course. I currently have my ppl and want to start on the long road for a (JAR) ATPL.

Your views/help is appreciated!!!

silverknapper
25th Aug 2003, 04:21
Which school is it? As far as I'm aware there is only one over there who is JAA approved although one or two others are thinking about it. I honestly didn't think they were as cheap as that, had you said pounds instead of euros then yes. Are you sure its JAA? I've been there, great place to live. I did my PPL and had one or two problems, none of which affected my training really. The reason I warn you is this can be quite a controversial topic with a lot of opinions - if you do a search you will see what I mean. You are lucky in that you have a PPL, have you looked at the modular route here? You can't do the IR over there as it has to be in JAA airspace so really you would only be doing groundschool and CPL there.

Kevin Farrell
25th Aug 2003, 16:46
Its the 43 Airschool, I am waiting on a reply from them to get their FTO number then I am going to check that with the JAR people. The price is R210,000 which is then divided by 8.6 (ish) to get the euro equivilent.

Could you let me know the name of the other schools??

Thanks!!

silverknapper
25th Aug 2003, 17:35
The other one is FTC. I knew 43 were going for JAA approval, didn't know they had it. If that is correct go there without a doubt, they have an impeccable reputation.

Flying Boat
25th Aug 2003, 18:25
If 43 have it, go them.

Avoid FTC like the plague, do a search & you will see why.

Best wishes for your training.

FB

df1
25th Aug 2003, 18:37
As silverknapper states, you can do a search of flight training in SA. I flew in SA on a couple of occassions but was shocked by the numerous complaints and gripes that students had about flyin there.

I have never been to 43 Air school, neither FTC - but ceratinly FTC seems to have a mammoth task in rebuliding its reputation among a good many students.

My advice is beware of "cheap" deals. Although you may think that its attractive you may not be getting a "deal" at all.

Do thorough research and ask to see stats on on student performance. Speak to students - past and present - if possible and get their opinions. Some schools, as you probably know, will advertise the bare minimum price. Check to see that this price is a true indication of actual cost! Check the status and condition of their aircraft......most of them where I flew never saw the light of day due to hangarage with the maintenance guys!

Kevin, there seems so much to do I know but always have a get out plan!! if you don't like the look of the school then be prepared to get out - even if that means coming home! Its all too easy to get sucked into argument and debate whilst you fight for what you feel you deserve - waste no further money if you encounter problems.

If you want more info reagarding my experience in SA please feel free to send me a PM.

Flying Boat
25th Aug 2003, 18:56
Kevin

Double Check your info.

The 43 Website only advertises 0-150hrs instructed 'hour building', they state training in Europe.

43 are not a UKCAA approved training organisation according to the UK CAA list dated 21 August 2003.

Perhaps they have JAR approval from another country, but you will not get a UK JAR licence if that is the case.

43 have a very good reputation but you could end up with non approved trainng & open a bag of JAR licensing worms.

The message in this post is BE CAREFUL.

FB

Kevin Farrell
25th Aug 2003, 20:35
Thanks for your help guys. I just got word from 43 that they are not JAA approved so thats that one out the window. Well I'm off again to search. Will let yawll know how I get on. Thanks again, it's reassuring to know that there are people out there who offer real opinions and genuine advice!!!;)

ecj
26th Aug 2003, 01:17
If it is a JAR licence you require, stick with JAR schools only.
If you want a warmer climate go to Jerez. If you can cope with the UK - Oxford.

Is there a new FTO opening in Cork?

Kevin Farrell
26th Aug 2003, 03:04
Not in Cork as far as I know, but I will check into it and let you know. There is the National Flight Center in Weston Airport (Dublin) www.nfc.ie (http://www.nfc.ie). This is a great place (Where I done my PPL) and it has just extended it's runway to 1200m. Prices are not to steep, and the craic is 90!!!

Perhaps I could go and hour buld in S/A and do th eexams here?

FougaMagister
26th Aug 2003, 05:54
Kevin - good idea. SA is a great place for hour-building, you get to do real long trips with not too many ground references (good to learn sound VFR DR), you learn quick about high density altitudes (particularly if flying from around Johannesburg). I crossed into Botswana and landed at Gaborone Intl Airport, but some guys went on trips to Mozambique, even Namibia! Now that's not in everyone's logbook...

The fuel is cheap, the landing fees likewise, the exchange rate very much in our favour, and it's also interesting for the "touristic" experience.

43 Air School comes highly recommended; check out also Central Flying Academy at Grand Central/Midrand just north of Jo'burg; they're a good lot.

Cheers

silverknapper
26th Aug 2003, 06:13
Good advive from FM. I did some hour building there and it was amazing. Trips to the coast were excellent and real hour builders. You would have to either get an SA PPL or get your JAA one validated, which should only take a couple of hours and a trip to pretoria. Be careful to allow for this though - I saw some people arrive not knowing this and only giving themselves enough time for their intended purpose, therefore leaving without everything done. I have a feeling that 43 don't accept hour builders as they are too busy but I prepare to be corrected on that. CFA are a good bunch and very cheap. A grumman was there for about £45 an hour. The other airplanes they only allowed you a few slots at a time in although there is a Katana too for building if your brave!

Enjoy!

FLYING COUNSEL
26th Aug 2003, 17:09
There is a new FTO in Waterford, The Pilot Training College Ireland, it is linked with the FTO of the same name in Bournemouth I believe.

http://www.pilottraining.ie

And as regards Cork, where Jaa and Faa training is available, the link is:

http://www.southaer.com

Best of luck with your training, wherever you decide upon.

Kevin Farrell
27th Aug 2003, 00:40
Think I will go for the St Africa option, Waterford is too cold!!!!, although they are a great bunch of guys!!

Thanks for all your help guy's, I have to say I am now addicted to this site, if thats possible!!!

:O

malaysian eaglet
27th Aug 2003, 22:53
Visit also the Far East Forum.
JAR training is going to start in the South East Asia ...at asiatic prices

MVE
4th Sep 2003, 08:14
JAA CPL training does not require a JAA PPL!
You can do an ICAO PPL and then either do the JAA ATPL exams first or the hour building first.
The only requirement for JAA Approved training starts from ATPL groundschool or CPL flying. With the changes last June to IR rules you can do an ICAO IR and convert it pretty cheaply in the UK.
(Although there are some good deals about in the US and UK for full JAA IR courses)

When you have the hours and any ICAO PPL you can do a JAA approved ATPL/CPL course.

Personally I went to SA for the cost and to travel when I was there.
I object to paying 100 pounds an hour to fly a 25 year old shed in the UK, when I can fly a new warrior in SA for 40 pounds an hour all in!
When food and board and maid service costs 140 pounds a month! YES A MONTH!
When a beer costs 50p and a steak costs 4 pounds!

I had a great time, spent 4 months flying, safari holiday etc,
got an SA PPL, night rating, 3 class ratings including complex single and did the majority of my hour building in a complex single. (50 pounds an hour wet!)

I flew all round SA, into Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Joburg and crossed over to Botswana for a couple of days.
The whole 4 months cost less than 7000 pounds and believe me I had to play hard to spend that much!

Don't get blinkered by JAA adverts or this bull@h@t people say about flying in UK weather. Try flying from a coastal airfield in SA during their winter and tell me about UK weather being challenging!

Do loads of research before you make any decision (There is lots of good gen on the forum search), visit the place if you can first and DONT PAY EVERYTHING UP FRONT!!!
I paid for 10 hours in advance the whole time and they were more than happy with that.
Don't be tempted by the big discounts for paying in full upfront!!!!

There are plenty of good schools around and various ways to get to a frozen ATPL, you don't need to spend 60000 pounds at Jerez or Oxford but if your lucky enough to have the dosh or daddy does then good luck to you.

I hope to have mine complete by christmas and will have spent just over 22000 pounds in 18 months. 250 hours SA PPL JAA CPL/Multi/IR
What a bargain!

Best of luck.....................

Kevin Farrell
9th Sep 2003, 03:20
So it would make sense for me to do the hours in Sth Africa, and come back and do the exams etc here?:confused:

silverknapper
9th Sep 2003, 18:34
Look at the hour building thread running already mate. General concensus i think is that you could do some there, but would be advised to do a bit here too.

despatch
9th Sep 2003, 23:49
Thanx for the info MVE.Can u give the flightschool name where u attended.it would be highly apreciated