Bluebeard777
24th Aug 2003, 16:54
I am looking for a replacement CO2 bottle for my RFD Seafly life raft:
A1 valve model
Cylinder contents 2.75 lbs (1.25 kg) CO2
Cylinder size 2409 cc
Cylinder is 4.38 kg full
Prefer non-aluminium.

If anyone has one of these (charged or empty) available at a reasonable price I would be grateful to hear .........................

Genghis the Engineer
25th Aug 2003, 03:30
Try heading for the coast. Yachtie types often do their own maintenance and servicing on such things and a big chandlery on a coastal marina usually sells a selection of refill / service kits for lifejackets and liferafts.

G

Wot No Engines
25th Aug 2003, 05:46
If you really value this piece of kit, send it to a service agent and get it fully serviced. It's not very expensive - you will be glad when you really need the raft. Those who service their own without training are insane. Would you pack your own emergency parachute without training (if at all)?

Always used Ocean Safety in Southampton for servicing lifejackets and raft when I sailed a lot.

If you need a replacement cylinder, the raft NEEDS a service - you either inflated it, of the cylinder is so old it corroded away - what else has corroded that you can't see?

OTOH, seeing the lifejackets that the comercial airlines supply, it is clear that they don't believe they could ever be used. Even in calm weather, most people would have a problem keeping one of those jackets in the correct position to keep their head out of the water.

Bluebeard777
25th Aug 2003, 23:43
Wot No Engines, yes I have had the life raft professionally checked out & repacked. No problems. It just needs a CO2 bottle, which I will get calibrated properly. But I do not have the right bottle ......

BRL
26th Aug 2003, 07:13
I may be able to help you. Where abouts are you located?

Bluebeard777
26th Aug 2003, 19:55
The life raft is currently near Bromley, Kent. Any assistance would be gratefully received!

BRL
26th Aug 2003, 20:54
Check your pm's sir............. :)

Wot No Engines
26th Aug 2003, 21:04
Bluebeard777
Glad to hear that - hope you find what you need.