PDA

View Full Version : Help a future pilot

Gerard123
22nd Aug 2003, 04:36
Hi there.

I'm a 17 year old student in South Africa. I'm now at the end of my school carreer looking forward to a life as an aviator. I'm planning on doing a 3year degree in aviation management whilst completing a com licence. My place in university is almost secure but I wanted to know from senior airline pilots if airlines will look at my high school results too. My dad rekons that if there are 100 pilots with the same hours meet the personality requirements etc. they will look to my high school results? Is this true ? I'm worried now because my results aren't to good(D average maths is standard grade). My flying abilities are pretty good (other peoples opinions) will this count more in my favour ?Also I'd like an honest opinion from airline pilots out there : do you enjoy your jobs fully or would you rather fly bush planes,EMS or police airwing? I've become tempted to join the police airwing, ultimately the decision is mine but what is the general opinion of people out there? So many questions !

Gerard.:sad:

Nozzles
22nd Aug 2003, 04:43
Hi Gerard,

I'm not an airline pilot, but I would reckon that any future employer would be more interested in whether YOU can do the job well, and work in harmony with their employees. If I were an employer, I wouldn't care if you couldn't do history when you were 16, if you showed to me in the interview that you could lead and inspire your colleagues. Go for it.

Bokomoko
22nd Aug 2003, 10:19
Gerard,
1- Airlines care about only if you have all prerequisites – some only requires the high school diploma, others a college degree. But minimum licenses, ratings, and flying hours are essential as well - and if you have a good background I can assure you that you will be more prepared for the screening process, including written tests and interviews. So, you can meet some requirements… it’s a good beginning. A good career preparation starts from the early days in your life. Good education and health are very important, however you don’t need to be the best student at your school but all steps must be considered and they’ll help you in the future. But in general, airline human resource will certainly pay much more attention to your curriculum concerning a good aviation standard, since your first contact with an airplane as a student pilot.

2- Question: Also I'd like an honest opinion from airline pilots out there : do you enjoy your jobs fully or would you rather fly bush planes,EMS or police airwing?
Answer: When I was a kid I always dreamed to be an airline pilot …. Today, I fly a big bird, and I love it, but I miss my days flying a Piper Arrow. So, enjoy every day and step in your life and career….

Good luck!
Bkmk:ok:

Pilot Pete
22nd Aug 2003, 18:18
Gerard

I can't comment on SA as I don't know the score out there. If it's any help, here in the UK (with a very large aviation industry) your school results have very little bearing on your employability. It's all relative though.

If you are applying to be sponsored by an airline then you need a good education (because you will have very little else to offer at the tender age of 25ish) and they will use it as a filter.

Now, if you did as I did which was to work in industry for 10 years and prove yourself to be a capable individual before self funding your licence and then applying to the airlines then your education (or lack of it!) has little relevance........as long as you can pass the assessment tests that everyone has to sit.

Generally speaking, you have more to offer the employer due to your greater life experience, especially if you have got off you behind and gone and done something outside of the work environment as well........I served in the reserve forces for 11 years and gained invaluable leadership/ teamwork and many other skills beside.

So there you have it. My suggestion would be to enhance your profile by doing something other than education/ work whilst you are training and then you have so many more 'life skills' that you can offer a potential employer. This way you have something extra that will make up for any perceived weakness elsewhere (but do practice the maths so that you have no problems with the entry tests!) Teamwork is a huge one with airlines here in the UK so anything that proves that you have these skills is a big bonus.......you know, boy scouts, rugby coaching a youth team, outward bound instructing etc etc. Get the idea?

As for your flying abilities being 'pretty good', well an airline will give you a sim assessment if they want to test your flying skills before offering a job, so, that is what you have to pass. However, I don't thing being 'ace to base' in the sim will get you the job offer if you fail the maths test (if there is one), or the English test, or the aptitude test or the interview! You see it's the whole 'rounded individual' that they want, no good being a good stick and rudder merchant if you can't interact with the various team members that all need to work together to ensure a Safe, On-time, Good service airline.......................

I can only assume that an SA airline would be recruiting similar types as pilots to UK airlines.

I wish you well Gerard.

PP

Gordinho
22nd Aug 2003, 18:55
I shouldn't worry too much about it either. The grades you got in high school math (when there are plenty of distractions about!) bear little relevance when you can demonstrate the ability to pass ATPL exams. The difference with those exams is that you can see the relevance and you'll be a lot more motivated. Best of luck with it.

Gerard123
23rd Aug 2003, 03:26
Wow.

Thanks alot for your replies, I never thought I'd get such great responses. Of course your replies bring more queries , so here goes:
I work part time at the local police airwing by washing ,fueling ,prepping aircraft etc. In return I get to help them track stolen vehicles and get to fly in very exciting situations ! Would this be sort of community slash life experience work or just general experience? I think this is what draws me away from the idea of being an airline pilot.

I think I should have a good aptitude because I was invited to a special club after IQ tests , apparently this happens if you have higher then 120 or something like that. However I am hopeless at school work (with exception of geography and english).I am good at maths like that mentioned in the BA hiring article on this website,trigonometry and calculas.But my other maths is hopeless! I am very mechanical though. I can rebuild motorbikes without manuals and I design and build radio control planes etc. My teachers tell me I am a quiet leader who leads by example but will lead firmly when required, who argues fairly when others don't quite agree with me.

I also think my bit about being pretty good at flying was useless information, anyone who is looking apply for commercial flying better be good at it anyway! Thanks alot for your responses and please keep them coming !

Best regards,
Gerard.