PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator "Ground Handling" Characteristics
Old 13th Nov 2017, 17:30
733driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Simulator "Ground Handling" Characteristics

Dear colleagues,

I have been wondering: How well does the simulator you use regularly replicate your aircraft type's ground handling characteristics i.e. during ground roll on the runway. How realistic (or not) are crosswind handing and asymmetric thrust operations including engine out t/o aborts, V1-cuts, landings and roll outs?

I have been very disappointed with most (basically all, to varying degrees) biz jet sims I have used and my last time in a 733 sim was 15 years ago so can't remember the details.

The recent 747 runway excursion prompted lot's of replies saying how difficult a low speed outboard engine failure is on a 747 and it got me wondering how much of that could be down to very twitchy sim characteristics.

On the Flight safety Level D sims I have used recently (all very new sims) runway operations feel more like skating on ice and not at all like they do in the aircraft.

Also, colleagues who have done actual single engine training in the aircraft have told me that it was almost a non-event compared to the sim.

Is this the same or similar in modern Airbus and Boeing sims?

Last edited by 733driver; 13th Nov 2017 at 18:05.