PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call - your worst one!
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 06:17
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Close call - your worst one!

Strange, but while it was actually happening I felt seriously annoyed, but not scared and shaking until I had landed.

In all my flying the worst frights were in tugs, not gliders. Possibly because its hard to see other traffic from the tug aircraft, compared to the very good vis available in most gliders.

But I still remember that time I was launching gliders at the Junior Nationals competition - was it at Bicester or Weston? Anyway, very close indeed to Oxford. Oxford traffic certainly should have been aware that we were launching 50 gliders in 30 minutes. I was pulling up a glider flown by a young Navy pilot. And noticed a twin aircraft coming towards us from Oxford.

In theory, we had the right of way.

But he just carried on, until we were nearly nose to nose. I turned right.
AND THE TWIN TURNED LEFT! we were in serious danger. Only one option left, couldn't go higher, so I dived sharply. The young Navy pilot still hung on, which was a good thing, as we presented only one target instead of two.

The twin carried on very very close, over our combination. And went on its way, wherever. I carried on pulling up the glider, which released at the usual 2,000. I then landed, and went to Control, to tell them about it.

Later on, after the competing gliders had returned from their task, I asked the young Navy pilot how come he didn't let go when he saw the close call.
He said he had paid for a two thousand foot tow and he wanted his money's worth!

Tell us about your close call!