PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Inquiry in US - AA/DAL/UAL/SW
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2017, 12:47
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 104Fan
Can I get some advice please.
104Fan,

Yes...yes you can. But it may not be quite what you sought.

While I can understand your interest in AA/DAL/UAL/SW, I'd suggest you broaden your investigation to include the likes of JetBlue, Spirit, Frontier, Atlas, UPS, FedEx. Particularly since you've expressed a motivation to locate your family in the USA.

Since you've said you're "out of touch" with the state of affairs here let me say that just getting an interview with a career-destination carrier is a monumental hurdle ( and accomplishment) in itself. There are thousands of competitive applicants here who've been unable to get even that far.

And once an interview is granted, interview success rate is the next hurdle. While I don't have complete data for all the companies you listed, I do for DL and SWA as examples.

From SWA's pilot hiring Facebook page, the listed interview success rate is 25-40 %. Their numbers...not allegations.

From DL's own data (also not scuttlebutt), the rate from the start of the big hiring push in 2014 until now is 74% and y-t-d 2017 only 72%. And they appear to be interviewing/hiring fewer than previous years.

From what appears to be a responsible online source, UAL has recently stopped all hiring. I'd like to be proven wrong on that.

I have no data on how many people submit applications vs how many actually get an interview.

Sounds like you're flying for CX ? If so, you've likely got great professional quals and experience. I would suggest you factor in the possibility that'll mean little if anything to most of the really great places you'd want to be.

That won't be your fault; that'll be THEIR fault. Particularly since fuzzy, amorphous HR criteria for what constitutes a "proper" employee seem to carry weight equal or exceeding the professional aviation ones.

If I may say so, most of the other questions you raised are largely insignificant in the Grand Scheme of establishing a long term airline career here.

And...as has been mentioned, without the legal ability to live/work here, all of what I just said is also irrelevant. You'll need US citizenship, dual citizenship or a Green Card or no desirable carrier will touch you.

Best of luck in your efforts.

Last edited by bafanguy; 26th Oct 2017 at 13:06.