PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legality of Amy Johnson Initiative - Equality Act 2010
Old 16th Oct 2017, 21:54
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groundloop
And, as mentioned previously, do you honestly believe that easyJet's legal department would not have scrutinised this scheme before releasing it?
What a court might interpret as legal or not, and if illegal the severity of the sentence will highly depend on factors like feelings, social status of the people involved, and the news.

For instance, some idiots in France took advantage of the terrorist attacks to pose as victims and profit from the victims fund.
Due to the very sensitive nature of the related events, they got the worst possible sentences. Several years in prison, whereas in other circumstances (like if they had been powerful politicians embezzling money from honest citizens) they could have avoided prison (or even a sentence) altogether.

What I mean is that this programme is very consistent with the general trend of feminism nowadays.
There aren't many women in positions of power ? Let's favour them in reaching those.
There aren't many women in prison or dangerous/exhausting jobs ? No one cares for these men (not even me)

About the flying positions, we should really wonder if it is normal or not that there are so few women in recreational flying (because making a career out of it is a huge commitment, however flying for fun is very attainable if one wants so).
Is it because they feel pressured into not pursuing this interest ? This would be a huge problem.
Is it because there are other reasons, like they just lack interest ? This is totally acceptable.
I don't see the point in wanting to impose equal numbers everywhere.
Originally Posted by Aplucas

I take the argument there aren’t as many women in the industry... and this needs to be addressed. However giving aspiring female pilots the financial opportunity and not male aspiring pilots the same opportunity is surely in some way discriminatory.

Contrary to popular belief the main obstacle to anyone getting into the industry is your ability to pay, not your gender. I know many female pilots and male pilots from various airlines, all very capable. But all quite well off and able to pay. I equally know some men and women who are even more capable but could not afford it and now fly in the military... arguably even more selective.

Social mobility regarding gender isn’t as prominent an issue now for current generations as it traditionally has been. Though I am not saying bias doesn’t still exist. But change happens gradually, and it is possible now for men to be discrimated against (there do exist occupations that are primarily female, and there are cases of child custody being granted in favour of the mothers rather than fathers [random example soz]) as well as women. That’s equality for you!
Why would it be a problem if there are few women in flying jobs ? What if they don't want to fly airplanes ? Let them be !
Is it a problem if there aren't many men working as children caretakers ?

Plus, you're entirely right when you say the main obstacle is money, not gender.

The entire debate about class conflict, which is more real now than ever, has been carefully manipulated into a "race conflict" and a "gender conflict".
I couldn't find a very definitive proof until recently. The perfect example was the following:
Our French minister of labour, an old woman, had worked in the private sector and made huge amount of money, presumably because she acted as head of HR while her company fired many people, which allowed the company to increase its profit and its stock (and she had tons of stock).
When a journalist asked her how she could justify making this much money and at the same time asking her fellow citizen to accept worse social conditions (job security, salary, hours, holidays, etc..).. guess what her answer was ?
"Women have the right to make as much money as men"
She completely moved the subject from class conflict (the real subject) to gender conflict.

Last edited by KayPam; 16th Oct 2017 at 22:08.