PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bahamas Triangle?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2017, 05:02
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No Night VFR in the Bahamas. It has to be IFR. Only Freeport & Nassau are normally available at night. Others can be made available, with prior arrangement & much fees, however you still have to fly IFR, cancelling once 'landing assured'.

Anyway, MYEH to MYRP is an easy flight. You can follow the island chain until the southern tip of Cat Island and never be more than about 5nm from land. From the southern tip of Cat it's just over 20nm to Conception Is (longest over water section of this leg so 10 or 11nm from land at the midpoint) and then a bit over 10nm to MYRP. Considering they'd flown from Florida, presumably jumping off-shore somewhere near West Palm Beach to West End (shortest over water route but also the longest of the whole trip) and then island hopping to MYEH, this last leg isn't difficult.

I'd be more inclined to think mechanical or maybe fuel issue. It's only ~150nm direct, more of course if following the islands, but easily in C150/152 range. Would need to plan a fuel stop at Stella Maris when leaving (25nm to the west of MYRP) due no fuel at MYRP. If it were me, I'd want to get fuel at Stella on the way in, to make sure I had enough to get somewhere else when leaving Rum Cay in case Stella fuel became unavailable.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 15th Oct 2017 at 05:14.