PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legality of Amy Johnson Initiative - Equality Act 2010
Old 14th Oct 2017, 23:19
Aplucas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t believe people are getting OPs message

I commend OP by the way he has conducted his inquiry. Different mix of people on this thread and it is interesting to hear differing view points. Each of which have, to some degree, a vested interest in this matter. Making it quite hard to look at it objectively, OP in my opinion is the only one who has a measured and rational approach to the issue.

Having said that, many valid points have been brought up.

I take the argument there aren’t as many women in the industry... and this needs to be addressed. However giving aspiring female pilots the financial opportunity and not male aspiring pilots the same opportunity is surely in some way discriminatory.

Contrary to popular belief the main obstacle to anyone getting into the industry is your ability to pay, not your gender. I know many female pilots and male pilots from various airlines, all very capable. But all quite well off and able to pay. I equally know some men and women who are even more capable but could not afford it and now fly in the military... arguably even more selective.

Social mobility regarding gender isn’t as prominent an issue now for current generations as it traditionally has been. Though I am not saying bias doesn’t still exist. But change happens gradually, and it is possible now for men to be discrimated against (there do exist occupations that are primarily female, and there are cases of child custody being granted in favour of the mothers rather than fathers [random example soz]) as well as women. That’s equality for you!

P.S. I find anyone who accuses someone of having a chip on their shoulder is usually someone with a chip on their shoulder.