PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 747 Pilot Reminisces
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2017, 19:13
Dora-9

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Not just the "early ones" - ALL RR RB2111 powered B747's (as opposed to B744's, which were better) became "a tad underpowered" at higher levels! Going from Hong Kong to any North American destination, departing at Max RTOW and then having to meet the FL290 by the Taiwanese FIR boundary requirement (180 nm downroute) was a true challenge. You could either turn or climb, but not both, so orbiting short of the boundary achieved nothing (just used valuable fuel, which you were going to need later).

It was a true ground-breaking aeroplane in so many aspects, but it certainly wasn't perfect (I know to some this will be heresy, and I expect to be immolated on a cross shortly). I was lucky to go from the B747/B744 to the B777, which really showed up some of the Queen's deficiencies from the pilot's point of view. In comparison - the B747 had a cramped cockpit with very poor outlook (because you couldn't see in close to the aircraft, taxying could be a nightmare, without even discussing the trauma of reverse turns on the runway). How could you design an aeroplane where it was virtually impossible, without severe contortions, for the FO to even see the FE panel (he could in the B727)? The B747 was very noisy (particularly the short upper-deck versions (-200's-300's & -400F's) and the air conditioning in the tropics was, frankly, lousy. Certainly the B777 had much lighter and more responsive controls, also constant reaction, but some of that was the benefits of FBW I guess.

I went back to the B744 for a short period - while it was like returning to an old friend the "old truck" comparison leapt to mind....

Last edited by Dora-9; 14th Oct 2017 at 19:38.