PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Simulator Exercises
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2017, 22:04
john_tullamarine

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
I have no AB background .. but a useful B737 exercise probably will produce something of value on the Bus, as well.

With V1 cuts .. start with a forward CG and progressively reduce the TOW and the speed schedule. I am guessing that, at very low weights, the Bus will get to a Vmc limited region (shown by the V1 and/or V2 not reducing with further weight reductions).

Then, slowly and progressively move the CG back to the aft limit. Depending on the sim fidelity, the handling should change from stroking a pussycat to hanging onto the tail of the tiger.

Then you might add the additional difficulty associated with introducing the failure as the aircraft commences the flare rotation to screen.

Also, consider including a requirement for each takeoff and failure to track the opposite end localiser for a short period prior to freeze and reset. As the maximum value is the late takeoff roll and failure, use of freeze shortly after takeoff (ie when the student has the beast behaving itself) with a reposition to a mid-roll position will produce a high number of repetitions with maximum student progress. Student fatigue can be managed by alternating the exercise between left and right seat, regardless of pilot status.

The stick and rudder, as well as I/F scan, skills, should zoom out of sight very quickly. Depending on what you can do with the automatics, raw data will improve the I/F scan rate dramatically.

Best to do this in short periods interspersed throughout an endorsement. In a non-threatening training environment, the student doesn't have to worry about what the guy in back is thinking, can concentrate solely on the task at hand, and should finish a period of this stuff with a swelled head .. and a very good basic I/F scan rate. I've seen some very tired little teddy bears head off home and to bed at the end of thoughtfully programmed, high workload sessions with the manipulative confidence ramping up rapidly during the endorsement program.

No point spending the money on the sim opportunity unless we give the guys and gals in the front seats the best value for the money being paid by whomever. After some of this stuff, the student subsequently has a walk in the park level of difficulty with run of the mill training and checking failures.

Indeed, I can recall a contract training period several of us did on the -200 quite some years ago .. the airline concerned ended up raising their standard of endorsement checkouts with some of the little items we introduced here and there during sessions .. the checkees were having it too easy with the previous standard checkout exercises.