PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Substitute" Pilots ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2017, 15:34
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The whiff of a Snake Oil salesman

An interesting concept worthy of a bean-counting despot with no understanding of how an airline actually works. In EASA land, all pilots have to be trained and checked according to their airline’s training manuals. Each has to have a minimum of 90 day currency. But let’s assume you have a pool of ‘substitute’ pilots full trained according to my company’s procedures. They’ll be sitting at home doing nothing, forgetting how to fly and work with our procedures and getting paid nothing. If I go on strike tomorrow my ‘substitute’ will have to be made current, pass a check, do their line training (40 flights) and come on line about about six weeks later. I think RAT was very optimistic with two weeks. Now tell me again how this works...

Either Avia Solutions are have a poor grasp of how airlines actually work and the regulations that EASA requires them to comply with or this is a another scam. So I think when Mr. Ziemelis says he is in talks with airlines, he doesn’t mean real ones that fly aeroplanes. What I think he is trying to sell training to poor victims who think they might get to fly with one.

But I could be wrong. We could go on strike and be replaced by ‘sustitutes’. Then you could possibly be flown by a complete crew with little or no recent experience. What could possibly go wrong?

A dreamer to be avoided at all costs.